“Camping on the Klamath”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Klamath
Kamp Klamath RV Park
Reviewed 26 August 2008

August 21, 2008 took customers and employees fishing on the Klamath river. We stayed at Kamp Klamath, located on the south side of the river 11/2 miles from the mouth of the ocean. Although the fishing was tough due to tribal netting this time of year, the stay at Kamp Klamath was great. The staff is so helpful and talented it made up for the tough fishing. Their Saturday night BBQ and live music is worth the trip. They even sat down around the firepit as the night went on and played acoustic for another hour or more. If you haven't checked this place out, you should.

Terry

Reviewed 30 July 2008

Kamp Klamath was Absolutely Amazing! The scenery was Beautiful! I deffinently recoment it if you just want to get away and relax! Having fun sitting next to a camp fire while enjoying some freshly grilled delicious samon or chicken on Saturday nights put on by the Amazing staff workers!!! Soaking up the sun during the day by the river and taking a ride on the Fun Bus to see and learn all about the beauty and thing to do in Northern California!!! (and if your're Lucky you get to see some pretty cool wildlife!...just don't try to pet them! haha!) I will deffinently be going back! =]
ps I have pictures but I can't upload them =[ I try again later! =]

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Due to the recent outrageous rises in fuel costs we amended our yearly camping trip destination to be much closer to home. Looking at the website for Kamp Klamath showed great promise of a good time. The area around the Klamath river offers great outdoor activities, beautiful hikes and sites, and overall fun. The folks at Kamp Klamath were very accommodating and attempted to help any time an issue was raised, but there were still problems that were encountered.

1. We had a large family group and as such had reserved a trailer site for my parents and a tent site for the rest of us. Upon our arrival Saturday June 14th we were informed that our trailer site was still occupied by a group that had extended their trip. The office staff had forgotten/didn't have our reservation in front of them when the extension was made. Aaron and Doug were very accommodating in finding another location for us for the night, but that meant we weren't able to fully set up until the next day when we moved into our "alternate" location. They were very helpful and provided a free container of firewood as a consolation as well. It didn't appear that they had a great method of tracking reservations; I didn't see a computer in the office nor did I see a tracking sheet, bulletin board, etc. Doug is great at taking folks through the campsite to choose their sites, but I noticed that he also gave away a site that someone else had a van conversion located in while they were away for the day and had nothing stored in their site.

2. We bought additional firewood while we were there and while it was advertised at $15 a bundle, we were charged a $1 "wood tax" for the purchase. I'm not sure why they didn't just charge $16.

3. The website offers free hot showers and they were hot. We checked in on Saturday June 14th; they weren't cleaned until Friday 20th and they seemed to be cleaned everyday thereafter. Possibly we were early in the season? Not sure.

4. Check in. At check in we informed the counter person that we had AARP, Triple A, etc and the counter person stated she didn't know what to do and to come back the next day and they would deal with it. The next day we went back and were informed that they only deal with discounts on checkin.

I did e-mail Kamp Klamath approx. on June 28th with this feedback and waited until July 9th before I sent a 2nd e-mail asking for feedback and notifying them I would be posting to Trip Advisor. I did get a response from Aaron who stated they had a computer failure and were recoverying and would get back to me ASAP. It's now July 14th and I've had no response.

I will say the place is beautiful, green and there is plenty to do in the area. It looks like they throw a great Saturday night dinner for folks that are interested, though we chose not to go. I think this place could be one of the better places to stay with a little focus and work on the above and I do understand that campgrounds probably don't have a lot of cash around with which to rectify some things, but organization can go a long way as well. Would we return... possibly but I want to verify some of this stuff had been addressed.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank FJT1965
Reviewed 9 July 2008

We recently stayed at Kamp Klamath due to the decent reviews on Trip Advisor (and because all of the Redwood National & State campsites were fully booked).

We were highly disappointed with our stay.

My review is an opinion on the tent section of Kamp Klamath and not the RV section.

Positives:
1) Great central location in the Redwood N &S Park area (Del Norte and Jedidiah Smith SP to the north, and Prarie Creek and Humboldt SP to the south).
2) The people that run Kamp Klamath are pleasant.

Negatives:
1) Unattractive, tightly spaced campsite. The "grassy site" described on their website is better described as tufts of grass on dirt. The slightly "private" campsites backed up to a road. Thankfully, the road is not highly trafficked at night.
2) Random allocation of amenities. Some campsites had picnic tables/benches. Others did not. Some campsite had intact fire rings with metal grill, others had broken one with no grills. Price was the same for all sites: $20.
3) Unkempt & dirty. Broken glass and trash were left in our fire ring. We cleaned it out. The bathrooms ranged from the usual tolerable camp dirtiness (dirt stains, leaves on floor, etc) to disgusting (bird droppings in the sinks, wet urine stains in mats next to toilets, shower walls and floors covered in hair, dirt, grit and grey sticky goop).

We left after 3 days despite paying for 4. Though the camp's negative attributes contributed to our decision, our main reason for leaving was due to a small fraction of our fellow campers. Redwood is bear country. Due to ignorance or foolishness, some campers left food and trash out all day (unattended). This attracted bears to the campsites. Consequently, we were kept awake with screams and yells of "bears, bears!" Campers also laugh, talked, and used foul languages late into the early morning.

A manager?/owner? noted that we were packing up early and inquired on our reasons. We explained and he kindly offered us another site. However, we were at the end of our patience and wanted to go home for some quietness and relaxation.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ExcOutdoor
Reviewed 5 December 2007

My wife and i spent our honeymoon in a tent here 25 years ago.We were not certain what to expect on our return.After looking at the other campgrounds in the area we were pleased to find many grassy,shady and private sites available.The hosts were very friendly and informative about the local fishing.To be able to escape the heat and the crowds was wonderful.We stayed in our 35' motorhome and the availability of access and hookups made this a great vacation.Our only regret is that we could not stay longer..Thank you for the memories!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2007

Everything was fantastic, from beginning to end.
Aaron was great, very friendly and helpful.
My wife loves hiking, and the trails lead us to some breathtaking scenes. This was a perfect getaway.
My daughter loved the goat!
We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2007

We spent seven nights and seven days at Kamp Klamath RV Park. Doug and Aaron the campground host were outstanding. I highly recommend that you visit the RV Park and Campground. The Salmon and Chicken Brest BBQ on Saturday night was outstanding.
The only thing that needs improving is to encourage the Wi-Fi Internet provider to get its act togother and fix the problem and to carry some sewer hose and fittings in the store so you don't have to drive to Cresent City.

Al and Sandy Blakesley