“Peaceful Stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Klamath B&B and Inns
San Diego
“Peaceful Stay”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is our 3rd stay at Historic Requa Inn at the Stout Grove room for my son and myself. We enjoyed the Requa inn and especially the chef's dinner in which the chef presents each course from the appetizer to the entrée which was a perfectly tender salmon, exquisitely presented as the chef explained what the food items were. Since the new owners took over, the dinners are more gourmet than in the past (2006 and 2008) and serve more organically grown vegetables in a creative and modernist style.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We spent Memorial Day Weekend with the wonderful folks at the Requa Inn. We chose it due to its great location for exploring the Redwood Parks and since we love history. It was the perfect choice for both of those reasons but the food and service we fantastic.

As others have said this is a very old hotel. Still much original since it was built in 1914 but the wiring and the plumbing are all new (my wife had plenty of hot water for bubble baths in the claw foot tub) as is the hot tub. What you will not find are well insulated walls and huge rooms with king size beds and big TVs.

The staff were all friendly and helpful.

The dinners were amazing. Great cuisine. Great wines. The small portions have been mentioned in other reviews but can you imagine how full you would be if you had five big courses? You know the smaller portion sizes are better for you in many ways. But if you cannot survive without your Big Mac mean super-sized either keep some snacks in your room or skip dinner. But if you skip you will be missing out on some great tastes made with fresh local ingredients prepared very well.

The Inn is basically in the middle of all the redwood parks. You can go south to Redwood and Prairie Creek and north to Del Norte and Jeddidiah Smith. Don't miss the great overlook just up the hill from the Inn or the fun Coastal road just across the river.

Room Tip: We were in Room 15 which is right over the kitchen and in the mornings while breakfast was cooking t...
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Historic Requa Inn has been lovingly restored to its early-20th Century appearance with period furnishings. We looked into nearly every room and discovered that those on the river side are larger and have better views than those across the hall. All rooms are on the second floor, and we did not see an elevator, so it's probably not a good place for the disabled.
Very ample reading material is provided in rooms and in the common area. Although the innkeepers take pains to warn of noise passing through thin walls, we found the place to be pleasantly quiet.
As we are not fans of family-style dining with strangers, we did not try the dinner, but we enjoyed the very ample breakfast.
This is a great location from which to explore the forests of sequoias and rugged coastline.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have nice views and are larger than those across the hall.
Danville, California
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This was our second stay and we came back for the fantastic dinners. I am making this my favorite restaurant. I spent a lot of the time just peeking at the chefs and their beautiful work, especially with vegetables and local items. So creative and satisfying! I agree with the one reviewer who found it tedious to be forced to sit with others. On our first night there was a noisy couple at one of the tables and we couldn't hear a thing so couldn't chat with anyone. The second night was sheer delight, with wonderful people. I think some people might prefer their own table but I doubt that the sweet owners read these reviews. It's a joy to be in this setting and we will come back but I am writing this review just to say BRING YOUR OWN COFFEE. No one drinks coffee like that anymore. One of my joys in life is my first cup of coffee in the a.m. and I couldn't even drink this. The owner said that is was just how they made their coffee. Bless the woman at a neighboring table who shared with me a packet put out by Starbucks where you can add a powdered coffee to the existing cup. I will always take this along. The lack of attention to our comments probably profiles a lack here to detail and service. The rooms are fine for being so historic; I had no problem with them and loved looking out at the river. There is not the attention to detail that can be found elsewhere; it's pretty casual. I kept wanting to go out to the garden and work on it; no one seems to care. Plants need watering and weeds need pulling. It's not the sort of "garden" one would want even at home. Maybe everyone is too busy.

Room Tip: get a room on the river and bring your own coffee!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
RequaInnkeeper, Owner at Historic Requa Inn, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
We are so happy you love the dinners! We are so sad you hated the coffee- we purchase free trade organic coffee from local area roasters Since your stay, we have changed to a different local, organic roaster - I apologize if we discounted your comments on how terrible the coffee was, we do try to find the very best products that we can afford for our guests. We value your business and hope that we can earn your coffee kudos in the future.
Wasington State
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We selected this Inn due to the Tripadvisor ratings. We stayed two nights while hiking the Redwoods. It had been since we were kids since we last visted the North Coast of CA, so we had no idea what to expect. Being from the NW, we are used to having a selection of well improvised coastal town when we visit the coast and--with an attraction like The Redwoods--I think we were imagining something like this on California's North Coast. We were surprised to learn instead, that there are very minimal services and an extreme level of economic depression between about Crescent City and Eureka. So, let that frame our review of the Requa.

We have had the privledge to travel a lot and stay at a lot of really neat places in a diversity of areas around the world. We had a fine stay at the Requa, but really the Inn is just average. It's not fancy, the windows don't stay opened, there's no AC, the ceiling fans are loud, the doors don't always stay shut, the paint is chipping, the internet is slow, the accomodations are generally a bit worn. It is what it is. Nothing more. It's certainly not as exciting or magical as many of these reviews suggest. I know some people like places just because they're old and "charming", but we've stayed in 700 year old Inns where everything was still well maintained and well cared for.

The staff was good and helpful. We thought the dinner was fine but we've certainly had better meals for $100. Not Michlin-worthy... The included breakfast was good and--as opposed to dinner--you actually get to choose where you sit instead of being mandated to sit with strangers and make forced small talk during the dinner.

So, in summary, the Requa is probably the best place to stay in an area that has no other place to stay...but I would caution you if you are expecting a life-changing experience like that suggested in many of the reviews. I would describe the specific area where The Inn is located as kind of sketchy--in fact, the room "to do" book warns about walking in the area because of rogue "Res dogs".... The Inn's general location is great, but I think we'll probably camp the next time we're on the North Coast. The park camps looks very nice.

Room Tip: Whichever room has the best air flow with windows that stay open--unless staying during winter. The...
2 Thank outdoorjunkies
Roseburg, Oregon
Reviewed 19 May 2013

My Brother and I stopped in Requa, after the motel in Klamath turned down cash payment. We were backpacking from Sacramento along the highways for the last 2 months- and we had just been shook down at gunpoint by the Wonderful Redwoods National Park LE. Klamath "Reservation" (the gas station on the highway with the neighborhood surrounded by a cyclone fence) was about as welcoming... We walked the 5 miles up the highway to the Requa turnoff - looking in vein for a decent flat spot to camp for the night... We come from the Land of the People who call themselves "Miwok", and after our experiences with them, we weren't optimistic about finding a safe place to sleep outside in Indian country, much less- a hot plate and a beer indoors without trouble... But Requa B&B was truely a wonderful Place to end such a Hard Day!
We were all Dirty, Cowboy Hat Wearing, Knife Strapping, Unshaved with Muddy Boots- I walked up the front steps feeling Out of Place for such a Proper Inn. I Opened the Door and Wow I was Amazed! Great Furniture and Couches in the Antique Wooden Lobby, a Large Fireside sitting area with couches, Single Paine Glass windows Facing the Klamath River for some Epic Coffee Sippin' Views. At the Tables were REAL Binoculars and Reference Books for Bird watching, Stained Glass Lamps, Eye Fulls of Interesting Items Everywhere, and Shelves full of Books. I ring the Bell and tell the Inn Keep about our travels, and ask him whats the cheapest room they got for two backpackers like us. He fits me into a small one bed room for 99 bucks, when I ask about some Cold Beer- He says "We Got Beer."
"Book Me Up."
We got our stuff into the room and drank a 50 right away, Good Nor Cal Brews on Tap and In Bottles, Table Side service while we watched the light dim from the Lobby windows.
...The rooms looked neat, different configurations and colors done up decent- and the tight quarters were surprisingly quiet. I could see that in the peak season it might be like any old historic building - you might hear a neighbor across the hall or a dish clank downstairs, but our stay was quiet. -The bed was soft and the sheets were nice I'll tell ya, because my brother slept in the walk-in closet. If you know an Infantry Soldier then this is nothing new =).

The Breakfast was Proper- I'll Stop Short of Saying "Michlin-Worthy" Jennifer... They didn't offer Dinner unless you have a Reservation for Sunday or Wednesday Night- but the breakfast was really well done! They Baked their own bread- which was delicious, the Preserves served with it were Excellent, The Egg cooked to perfect order with a tasty patty of sausage. They have a fair amount of options to mix and match, pancakes, bacon, oatmeal, are some of the ones I remember.
---My Only Gripe was the Coffee. I'm an Early Riser, and I am Well Traveled for Any American Standard of Coffee Connoisseur, that being said I will drink coffee- Folgers, 3rd world dehydrated espresso, or Bitter Starbucks Beans, but it needs to be made at least a measure of strength! The Coffee was watery like tea, and More Important- the Cream wasn't fresh at first light of Dawn. the mini fridge container was empty, and when the girl brought out a cold carafe of Half & Half. Strange way to serve it- I spilled it everywhere- And it had a hefty Raft of clumps on top, right out of the kitchen. Yucky. How Cold Half & Half ends up like warm Cream I don't know- unless it was unused from the day before. Either way, yuck- I had to go to the bathroom and dump the cottage cheesed cup down the drain, then wait some half and hour till the staff caught up.
Cream isn't a must- sure- but then it better be COFFEE Coffee, I'm just saying. Good Coffee comes UPS from Amazon these Days, but who knows- There were a host of youngsters prepping the dining room and serving table side, and Young People usually don't drink coffee.
Requa was Clean, Friendly, and an Awesome Place to get off of the road. I'd go there again myself- or Gladly recommend my Grandmother or My Mother stay there- they would have a great time. ---Thanks Requa!

Room Tip: Spend the 120 if you want a normal sized room, or better yet - make a reservation. Ask for a room on...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank KC R
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I spent a recent weekend (mid-May '13)on the north California coast and the Requa Inn was my home base. Didn't spend much time there during the day but the evenings and nights were great. The two room I stayed in were excellent. The rooms are unique in size, shape, and furnishings, which adds to the charm. The beds and furniture were very comfortable, and the view of the river was grand (not all rooms have a river view). Breakfast was included and was excellent. The dining room also has a great view of the river.

The only drawback: the walls are very thin, and noise carries far. However, by 9 or 10, or perhaps even before, it was extremely quiet. Rooms over the dining room will get quite a bit of noise in the mornings around breakfast time (8-9). It quiets down after about 9 though.

One thing I especially liked: lack of technology. No TVs. No radios. No telephone (except in the lobby for local calls). They did offer wifi but requested limited use (i.e. non-streaming) due to their cap (it's satellite based).

There are so many great things to say about the Requa, but I will sum-up with my recommendation to the girl at the front desk during check-out: "Don't change a thing".

Notes:

I was travelling off-season and the Requa was relatively competitive with other nice area hotels (e.g. the new Holiday Inn in McKinleyville). The Requa offers a variety of room types, with varying rates per room. IF you can swing a bit of extra cash I would highly recommend at least one night there. I'd only intended to stay one night (the second was going to be at the new Holiday Inn in McKinleyville). After one night at the Requa I cancelled my HI room and spent a second night there. I drove up through Crescent City on Sunday and it seemed run-down and dingly, and I was glad I'd avoided staying there.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Zumajay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Klamath
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn
Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn
#3 of 18 in Crescent City
Quality Inn & Suites Redwood Coast

Been to Historic Requa Inn? Share your experiences!