“Very accommodating owners!”
Review of Historic Requa Inn

Historic Requa Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Klamath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2009

We spent 2 nights at the historic Requa Inn at the end of a two-week road trip. The hotel has fabulous views of the Klamath river and on the morning we were checking out there were 4 junior bald eagles hunting on the other side of the river that Dave (one of the owners pointed out). In reading their website I realized we are going to be there in slow season when there was little to no local restaurants open, so I asked about dinner accommodations. Barb responded and said that we could use their fridge and grill. Well we picked up a roasted chicken, vegis, bread in Crescent City on our way to the hotel. We had an impromptu picnic in which they supplied all the dinnerware, glasses, etc. as well as the use of their kitchen! They let us use the kitchen to assemble sandwich and snacks for our day trip as well as for the evening.

The breakfasts were fabulous and the room very large and accommodating. The only two MINOR negatives were the bathroom and wireless. In our room ,there was a claw footed tub with a wrap-around shower curtain and a window on one side. Well, if you didn't have the shower curtain completed wrapped around and the previous person had the shower head pointed for an adult, the water sprayed all over the back of the wall. Not a big deal, but I drenched everything . In addition, the bathroom got a little stuffy. You would have to close the door because you couldn't use the sink without closing the door and given the time of year, you didn't want to open the bathroom window.

The second item was the wireless. I was working on this road trip and the wireless was very weak - not their problem - but the provider/location. I actually got wireless access in my room though was farthest from the access point, but not consistently. If you are just checking email, this won't be a big deal but if you want to do any work it is an issue.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 March 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Requa Inn back in 2003, and unfortunately, have not been able to make it back there since. But I was prompted to write after reading a review claiming the inkkeepers were rude. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

My wife & I stumbled upon the Inn while completing a 3-week motorcycle trip through the Pacific Northwest. We were going to spend our last night at the Inn & head home in the morning. Unfortunately (or fortunately!), it was raining so hard we couldn't leave on the motorcycle and we asked to spend another night. Though they were not serving dinner at the Inn that evening, Barb & Dave invited us to eat with them so we didn't have to adventure out on the bike. We had a great meal with wonderful company.

Throughout our entire stay, which included hanging out at the Inn for many hours due to the rain, Barb & Dave went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and taken care of. Our only regret is that we have been unable to return to the Inn!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2008

We had the most wonderful Thanksgiving getaway. The location is wonderful and the Inn is very clean and well maintained. Our thanksgiving dinner was amazing. The owners, Dave & Barb, were friendly and welcoming. We stayed in the Fern Canyon room and it was large, clean, and had a claw foot tub. Location is perfect. If you are seeing the Redwoods....stay here.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Inspector_Chuck
Reviewed 11 November 2008

We were very pleased with our Thanksgiving stay. The owners are super nice and friendly. The room was clean and tidy. Felt like you were staying at your grandparents house. The food was delicious. Had an amazing time in the Redwoods. No other choice for us when we return to the area. Outstanding value.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2008

We have stayed at the Requa Inn three times, even though we live 10 hours away by car. If it weren't the only lodging of its class for many miles in any direction, the Requa would still easily surpass its competition. Our favorite details:
-Comfortable, charming, clean, and well-maintained rooms
-Soft pillows and down comforters
-Warm, inviting common areas with comfy furniture, fireplace, books, magazines, games, historical memorabilia, and not too many other guests (relatively low-capacity inn for such large common areas)
-180-degree views of river and woods, with binoculars close at hand so you can zoom in on that eagle or osprey
- Unexpectedly delicious dinners and breakfast (the latter included w/ room)
- Free wireless internet, but no annoying TV or phones (trust us...you won't miss them)
-Complementary coffee, tea, and cookies available just when you need them
-A few polite but curious outdoor cats for those who love making feline friends
-The intimate, warm lighting at night, the smell of the wood stove, and the steady but unobrusive tick-tock of the downstairs antique clock
-The complimentary, reservation-only hot tub
-Close proximity to the trails and recreation areas in the redwood parks
-And finally, for those who value this, the chance to reward the hard work, dedication, and excellent service of owner-operators who have made a lifestyle of innkeepinng.
(In case you were wondering, we're not close friends with these wonderful folks...we just wanted to speak up about the rarity of their excellence...you won't be disappointed)

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foursandyfeet
Reviewed 10 August 2008

The owners, Dave and Barb do a wonderful job making your stay comfortable and enjoyable. The scenery is breath taking and the inn is decorated nicely and extremely neat and clean. The breakfasts are fantastic. You won't be disappointed in staying here.
Thanks Dave and Barb.
Kelli, Cameron, Cody and Bruce

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2008

The Historic Requa Inn is a complete delight in every sense. We only stayed a night as part of our tour of the redwoods, but we would have loved to have stayed longer. Room #6 was home away from home, and it is charming with a great view of the river. New carpet, too!

One of my favorite places, though, is the lobby area. The innkeepers have created an amazingly cozy atmosphere reminiscent of a Pacific Northwest lodge. All I would need is a hot cup of a tea and a book form their fabulous selection, and I wouldn’t have to budge! (Oh, if only the redwoods didn’t beckon so!).

Another incredible feature is the breakfast! The dining area is absolutely fantastic, and it has (I’m guessing here) probably the most outstanding view of any eatery within at least 50 miles. I particularly enjoyed the hummingbirds dancing right outside my window as I ate! The food is brilliant. We stay at B&Bs often, but I’ve never encountered a breakfast quite like this one. You get to choose from a wide selection (off a general menu), and it’s cooked to order. For example, I wanted to have the scrambled eggs (organic from a local farm) and fresh yogurt, but also wanted to sample their oatmeal – and they happily served me a small bowl - which is just the amount I wanted. Their pancakes? I’d say they are within the top two best I’ve ever tasted (this day it was banana walnut I believe). Basically you can have it all if you want: eggs, pancakes or whatever their hot entrees are that day, fresh yogurt, fresh fruit, oatmeal, bacon or sausage, toast, etc etc. Tea and coffee is available at all times, and they have as many organic/local items as they can get a hold of. We only regret they didn’t serve dinner the night we were there, and unfortunately it sounds like they will be soon canceling that feature due to being short staffed. This is really too bad as I’m sure it’s a wonderful experience. If you were planning on dinner there, be sure to ask about it when you book - they might or might not have it available. Klamath doesn’t have many dining options, but if you aren’t fussy you’ll find something that’ll do just fine. After all, in this part of northern California it’s all about the beauty of your surroundings, not five-star dining.

Oh yes – and Barb was the consummate hostess. Next time we'll have to make a point to meet Dave! Thank you for a wonderful sojourn.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank liveoutloud
Also consider these accommodations in or near Klamath
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
#16 of 19 in Crescent City
Lighthouse Inn
Lighthouse Inn
#1 of 19 in Crescent City

Been to Historic Requa Inn? Share your experiences!