“Nice Stay”
Review of Ravenwood Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Klamath
Ravenwood Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Klamath
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I decided on this place after reading the reviews on TA, so I knew for the most part what I was getting. We rented a suite and brought food with us, which worked well. The kitchen had everything we needed for simple meals. As other reviewers have pointed out, there really isn't anything around here in the way of restaurants.

When we travel, the most important things to us in a hotel are cleanliness, comfort, and safety. This room was very clean, and when we got here the windows were open, maybe to flush out the cleaning smell that other reviewers mentioned. I don't know. We closed the windows, and eventually the room developed a slightly musty odor that reminded me of my grandma's house when I was a kid. It's probably just an old-building smell, nothing particularly bothersome. The bed was comfortable and although we were right next to the highway, it was quiet. We didn't have anyone next door. We had two futons, and my sons were thrilled to each have his own place to sleep. The shower was great, hot and good pressure, and the towels were nice, soft and absorbent. As far as safety goes, we didn't have any issues or any qualms about walking around the area.

This IS an older motel. The owners have done a lot to make it cute and comfortable. We spent more time in our room than we might have in the summer, so that was pleasant. The hospitality room has coffee and tea available all day, also very nice. After sunset we came back and turned on the electric fireplace (nice touch), played some board games, and watched TV. There was plenty of room to spread out. The TV was older and smaller than what we have at home, which took a little getting used to, but we didn't go to the redwoods to watch TV, so we adapted.

If it is important to you to stay connected, you might want to keep going. Service is terrible here, actually pretty spotty throughout the area. The motel offers very limited internet, but I the only connection I could find was weak and unsecure (we were at the back of the motel). I didn't contact the office for help, so maybe I was missing something. It wasn't that important to me to get online. If it's important to you, you might want to ask when making a reservation. For us it was more important to be close to the park than to be connected to the outside world, and for that the motel was perfect.

The continental breakfast was decent. We had a choice of oatmeal, fruit, cottage cheese, boiled eggs, bagels, Raisin Bran, and sweet bread of the pound cake sort. Everyone was found something that they found satisfying.

The staff was pleasant. The woman I spoke to when I made my reservation steered me toward the room with the two futons, which was the right decision. She also gave us pointers on things to see in the area. No issues here. We did come back after the first day to find the heat off in our room, which was kind of strange. Housekeeping had been there, but we rented the room for two days, so didn't expect to come back and have to heat it up again.

There were only a couple of things that bugged me about our stay, and they are pretty minor. First, for the price I paid for a motel room of this type I expect a little nicer than cheap particle board furniture like the bed frame and side tables in the bedroom. Maybe that's one improvement the owners could focus on in the future. Much of the suite was nice, iron and glass tables, nice wood table, nice futons, so maybe this is on the list of improvements. We also had a couple of burned out and missing lights and the turntable in the microwave was missing. I didn't contact the office about these things, so I won't complain, but they seem like things that shouldn't be missed when preparing the room for guests.

Overall good experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Hiker_mom29

Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is probably one of the nicest motels I have been to. The staff was great, breakfast was included and it was super clean. We got in late and left for redwoods national park early the next morning. I would stay again if we ever go back to the park!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeni685
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We were apprehensive and pleasantly surprised. This is a very nice motel. It was very clean nice looking and freshly painted. Barbara who runs the office was very helpful with questions about the motel an places to visit. There is not much around the hotel. We knew that so we bought groceries before we got there. Our room had a nice little kitchen area. It is a great base for the wonderful attractions in the area such as Fern Canyon.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

It is a good idea to have dinner before you get here. Klamath is in the beautiful redwoods, but really in the middle of nowhere. There is a mini-mart next door and the Ravenwood has a microwave in the breakfast room. We always try to stay here when we come to the Yurok Salmon Festival every August. But we eat salmon and fry-bread tacos at the Festival!
The rooms are clean and individually decorated. The standard rooms are either queen bed or 2 twins, but there are a couple of rooms with separate bedroom, living room with futons and full kitchen for families or groups. In the room where breakfast is provided, there are books and games to borrow and coffee/tea/ snacks available until 10 or 11 pm. Breakfast offers hard-boiled eggs, several choices of canned and fresh fruit, breads, yogurt, coffee, juice. Oh and a delicious coffee cake.
You can view the choice of accomodations online at their website, but reservations must be made by phone.
The Yurok tribe is building a casino/hotel next door but the construction crew wasn't working on the Saturday we were there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn19
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My family and I enjoyed staying here. Refreshments were available 24/7. Good breakfast, very comfortable beds, nice staff. Numerous sitting areas around the property to enjoy the beautiful view. Close to the drive thru tree, the Trees of Mystery, and the Pacific coastline. Eating options are very limited as this is a small town. Motel has a washer and a dryer. I don't understand the other reviews saying that this motel was "Twilight Zone-ish" (I didn't think so) and we didn't hear any cannons. I recommend this property.

1  Thank Paladine5
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I made a reservation here at the end of May to attend a wedding reception for my cousin's son over Labor Day weekend. My cousin's new daughter-in-law insisted last week that I stay at her folks house in Klamath, so I decided to cancel my reservation. I knew there was a 4-day cancellation policy, so called 5 days in advance. Got my head handed to me by Clarence (I think that's his name), who insisted he had told me there was a 0 cancellation policy for holiday weekends (he hadn't) and also claimed I kept changing my reservation (I hadn't). After some rather nasty words on his side I said, okay I'll keep the reservation and he said "No you won't, I don't want you here" and hung up on me! Hopefully my credit card will not be charged...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SailSD
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed 2 days with our 2 small children in the suite. We loved the place. Room was well taken care of. It had a full nice kitchen. Breakfast wasn't huge but plenty. Close to many places to see. Staff are friendly. It was close to the highway but the room was still quite. Only little downside was the wireless signal wasn't strong enough in our room. Other than that we liked staying there. We will recommend to stay there.

2  Thank Sarantsetseg L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Klamath
Holiday Inn Express Klamath Redwood Nt'l Park Area
#1 of 1 in Klamath
Lighthouse Inn
Lighthouse Inn
#1 of 19 in Crescent City

Been to Ravenwood Motel? Share your experiences!