“You have to read this before you stay”
Review of Strawberry Lodge

Strawberry Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kyburz
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This was a hard review to write, because it really depends on what room you get here. And we expected rustic, but not filthy. Upon check in we had to wait for someone to check us in. When we first checked in they gave us a "annex" room, across from the main lodge. It had holes in the walls, falling apart furniture, cobwebs and spiders everywhere and was just dirty. The worst was the bathroom! Dried feces on the toilet, and a rusted out sink complete with brown water! No way was my family staying in this room! I called and asked if the lodge had better safer rooms. They were very nice and upgraded us to a "newer" room. It was better. Renovated slightly. Much cleaner, but the bedding seemed like it was never changed and had hairs on it...yuk. We slept on top on the bedding with our own pillows and blankets we luckily brought from home. Our room was comfortable, but LOUD. Right above the bar, that went on till 1 am! So after no sleep we attempted the resturaunt. SLOW. One person doing it all. Coffee was nasty, so dark 4 creamers barley lightened it up!! So the food came...and they forgot to put in me and my daughters order! So we did not get to all eat together. The food was not very good either and very expensive for a family of 5. So for check out, again, no one to had the keys too. We left them on the counter.
We had several other family members stay here with us, all complained of dirty rooms. It is such a bummer, cause it is beautiful around there. But I will never stay here again. Though it was nice they upgraded us to a better room, they need to teach thier staff how to clean better and actually change the sheets between guests or get a better washer? I have no idea. Never again, next time we will be camping!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay, pay the extra $ to get a room in the "newer" side. Third floor will...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BsyTrvlnFmly

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Great old building and interesting grounds. A beautiful river sound as you sleep and enjoy the outdoor areas. Friendly and nice staff. The place is dirty and needs a good cleaning with a maintenance program from there. I had to remove long black hairs from the bath tub and sink after asking for soap and shampoo that the housekeeper forgot to leave. Towels were nice yet the overall room and common area feel was under par. The restaurant was nice and rustic and the food good, Mary the waitress was the best. If this place was renovated and then had some good general management it would be improved.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I was climbing at Lover's Leap. Perfect place for me (I needed warm and comfort and the campground doesn't cut it). I liked the vibe of the place. The owner is nice and the bartender was fun. Food is what you'd expect. Its not Michelin rated but its also not fast food. I found the place clean - no issues with my sheets like other people had.

Location is fantastic and you can easily get to the lake without paying lake prices.

If you want a posh place this is not for you. If you want value and a good vibe, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We were being pushed by our kids to go to "the snow" and it was end of March. We found out Tahoe had perfect snow conditions so we decided to take them there... on the way i was getting a little scared to pass through "thouse 50miles of road" right before South Lake Tahoe and i was convincing the family to stay "somewhere" before those 50miles. We stop at Strawberry Logde, they asked us to wait just 30 minutes to get one of the rooms that were being cleaned. The kids inspected the place and approved!!!! YEAH!!! We took the room and had the perfect 2 days getaway!!! they had plenty of fresh powder snow, we had a nice little bar and restaurant on the site. My older kid + daddy went to Sierra on the next mornigh, since the place offered lifts and rentals and... well... every thing.. in the meantime mom and little daughter were having a lot of fun at "the snow", across the street with a little market and food and...ohhhhhhh! there is NO INTERNET so, we had not other choice but have fun!!! After so many years of vacations with internet this one without it was ath the beggining kind of boring??? but at the end it was just perfect!!! we left the place relaxed and with thepromise of a return... same place!

Room Tip: The ones with full service of course, with bath, be careful since it is a european style you can get...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank VirginiaAleman
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The Strawberry Lodge is a lovely place, right by the American River. I will always cherish my memories there. The Honeymoon Suite is particularly stunning, with amazing antiques and a really comfortable bed. We appreciated the tasty drinks in the historic bar too. We were aware that the hotel would be well-worn, but were pleasantly surprised with how pretty and comfortable it is. Definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kimberley42
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed in the place to attend a family wedding. The wedding was handled very nicely.

On the other hand, our room was tiny, and the bathroom even more so. I think its overall dimensions were about 7' x 7' including the shower and toilet "cubby". Housekeeping made a gesture of cleaning the room, but did little that i could see.

The restaurant was overpriced, and we ended up eating elsewhere toward the end of our stay. If there was a wider selection of hotels in the area we probably would have moved.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before accepting it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We're just back from a weekend wedding at the Strawberry Lodge. We enjoyed the entire event, which was enhanced by the pleasant and laid-back ambiance of the Lodge. The large group events were smoothly run and delicious, and all the servers were extremely friendly and out-going. The outdoor barbecue was delicious, and the wedding dinner was hot, plentiful and also delicious. Our various breakfasts, ordered individually, were generous and pleased each of us. The homemade biscuits were great. The rustic feel of the lodge is validated by the various news clippings and photos from many years and helps underscore the authenticity of the place. Our room was very large and the bed was in an alcove that looked over the back grassy yard. Except for the DJ music in the wedding reception ( we just couldn't dance until 2:30am), all noise was blocked out by the http://c1.tacdn.com/img2/tamgfooter/vr/ftrHero.pnghttp://c1.tacdn.com/img2/tamgfooter/vr/ftrHero.pngwonderful sound of the loud, bubbling river that edges the property -- the perfect "white noise" machine for a mountain lodge.
The bed was extremely comfortable and I'm fussy about that. Although I appreciated that we got fresh towels, I would have liked to have the bed made up, too. That's part of the expectation of a "hotel" . That was the only negative point for me and why I didn't give more stars.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyburz
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
#11 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel Azure
Hotel Azure
#14 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
#7 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Strawberry Lodge? Share your experiences!