“Memorable Stay For All The Wrong Reasons”
Review of Strawberry Lodge

Strawberry Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kyburz
London, United Kingdom
“Memorable Stay For All The Wrong Reasons”
Reviewed 28 September 2010

A while back my husband and I made the mistake of booking a room here. We'd stopped in at the strawberry lodge for breakfast a couple of times as a warm treat before setting out on backpacking trips. However, a warm meal when you've just spent the night in the cold snowy weather outside can be misleading. During our stay, breakfast was definitley the high point (and it really isn't anything to shout about). Dinner was passable (if you're okay with food that tastes like a cheap freezer dinner).

The woman who mans the front desk is loud and rude. Once we got to our room, we were somewhat surprised by how basic it was, but didn't expect luxury so weren't too disappointed. However, upon entering the bathroom, our feet stuck to the floor -- it clearly had not been well cleaned for a while. There was no soap to be had. My husband had to go across the road to the convenience shop to buy some!

Later that evening, we discovered that the heat in the room didn't work (which explained the presence of a small very old space heater in the closet). The space heater worked, but definitely was not something you'd want to leave on while not in the room since it looked and smelled like it might catch on fire at any minute.

As I spread the lone blanket that was supplied across the bed (remember there was no heat and it was snowing outside), I was disgusted by the large spider that crawled out. Eww! I recognize that we were in the woods and there are going to be bugs -- but not in the bedding!

After freezing in our room the first night, we decided to bring our sleeping bags in from the car and use those for the second night. I only wish we'd had a tent. Relocating to the nearby campground would have been more comfortable dispite the freezing temperatures outside.

My husband and I will always remember what a disaster this trip was. Pretty much dreadful in every way.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trips4meg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Woodside, CA
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I read the previous Trip Advisor reviews the morning of departure and worried the whole drive there about what we'd find. We read the review out loud to our four kids and had rollicking laughter in the car -- what would we find in our room: a full mouse trap? beer cups? worse? Imagine our pleasant surprise when we opened the door to a fresh and clean room that was as immaculate as an old historic hotel in a remote location gets? We fell asleep to the sound of the rushing river behind our room and woke to a clean bathroom and fresh towels, followed by a memorable (good memorable) pancake breakfast in the dining room. The kids are begging to go back. What a way to launch a fun weekend in the SIerras!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SixTix
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 8 September 2009

None of these would be deal breakers on their own but the combination was a bit off putting. Fortunately my companion and I found the absurdity amusing and we were close to great hikes in Desolation Wilderness. We stayed in the Annex, where dogs are allowed. Behind the Annex, a row of lodging facing the highway, we discovered an interesting melange of rusted farm equipment, refrigerators replete with doors, junk piled around, and a low level refurbishment effort underway.

Our room smelled like phenol, had weird orange globs on the ceiling (mold?), a filthy carpet, and shower that drained slowly so you ended up standing in your shower water. Nice. Housekeeping service consisted of delivering fresh towels but not disposing of trash.

Lodge across the street had a restaurant, pool table, bar, and nice grassy area by creek. We had dinner at restaurant . Food was okay . Waitress was appalling. She'd lost her cell phone or something and she loudly announced she was in a bad mood and that pretty much set the tone for the evening.

It's close to some great hikes (Mt. Ralston, Horsetail Falls) and some rockclimbing areas so location is great other than being situated on a busy highway and the urgent need for refurbishing and cleaning of rooms and training of staff to try to be a wee bit nice.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HenryNatalie

Travellers are raving about these Kyburz hotels

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 20 August 2009

This hotel is the worst hotel my husband and I have every stayed at in all our travels either in the USA or in Europe.

When we arrived the lady manager was nasty and very unpleasant. She is in the wrong business. We were looking forward to our stay but were immediately turned off by her very, very direct and argumentive manner. She wanted our car license plate number. When I gave her the number she said I was wrong that it couldn't be only 4 numbers and a letter. Told her it was a handicap plate. Continued to argue. Told her to go out and check the car.

Reserved a room on the first floor, Room 101, however when we asked where the room was she motioned to the stairs. It was on the first floor of rooms, not on the actual "first floor." My husband and I schlepped our bags to our room and that is when we should have turned around and left.

The bathroom was a disgrace. Toilet worked sometimes, shower was full of mold, basin looked liked something from a wrecking yard with cracked porcelin and rust through the porcelin surface. It stopped up when you turned the water on and wouldn't drain. No soap and no Kleenex.

We will NEVER go back. As my husband commented, "Hated this place 30 years ago and hate it even more now."

Restaurant supposed to open at 7:30 am for breakfast. At 8:15 when we left it still wasn't open. Got up and packed and left as soon as we could.

PLEASE do not stay here unless you want to stay in a run down flea bag hotel with a gestapo manager who could care less about her guests. Never saw her again after we checked in. Guess she goes into hiding.

Plan to complain to my credit card company and ask that the charge be reversed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RBDiane
Maryland
Reviewed 26 February 2009

This was by far the worst lodging experience of my life. After waking before dawn East Coast time to catch the first plane in the morning to then catch another flight to arrive in Reno and then driving from there to Strawberry Inn to arrive totally exhausted I just wanted to check in and take a brief nap. We checked in and hauled our bags up the stairs and checked into our room and notice an immediate pungent odor, however as the window was open slightly we weren't sure where the smell was coming from. We set our bags down and I quickly got changed and jumped in bed. On the way into the bed, I stepped on something in the corner that was wet - the person before probably spilled a glass of water or something or so I thought. As I lay in bed, the smell got stronger and stronger as I kept trying to fall asleep. My wife was unpacking our bags and after several minutes I looked on the floor and saw a relatively fresh puddle of vomit with chunks and all. Apparently, the person in the bed before me got sick and vomited all over the floor to the side of the bed. I was so disgusted, I quickly got dressed and washed my feet and told my wife to pack the bags. I went downstairs and told the manager on duty about this problem and she said that she was sorry and was going to move me to another room. The best part of the story was that she told this to one of the house keepers that was responsible for cleaning this room and this woman said: "I smelled something also, but couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from." I went upstairs and we moved our bags into the next room at the opposite end of the hall. Again, all I wanted to do was take a nap and was even more exhausted and this time totally grossed out from stepping in the vomit. When we checked into this new room, I scanned the floor and didn't see any vomit on the floor. We put our bags down and I was starting to get ready to get in bed and take my nap and saw what looked like black tic-tacs on the bed. I didn't know what they were - and my wife told me that they were mouse droppings on the bed. Great - the first room had fresh vomit and the second room had mouse droppings on the bed. Was I willing to go for a third room - stay tuned to find out. I went downstairs again and the woman at the front desk wanted to know if this room was okay - I told her about the mouse droppings - she said that she wasn't surprised as this room hadn't been used in a while and they had been having a mouse problem. She asked if I wanted another room - I said "no" we would take our chances finding another room at another hotel - she said that all of the hotels in town were probably full and it would be difficult finding another room - I told her that I would rather sleep in the car, than stay at this place. I went up stairs and got all of our bags and loaded them into our vehicle and ended up staying at the Montbleu Resort Casino - as it was the only hotel that had a room after trying 8 other places. The Montbleu was 4-5 times more expensive than Strawberry Inn, but totally worth it after this hell hole. The worst part of the experience apart from stepping in another person's vomit (not that your own vomit is all that great) was being yelled at by the housekeeper that was responsible for cleaning the first room as she was fired on the spot and blamed me. Just do your job and don't blame others for your own incompetencies. avoid this place at all cost - danger - warning - use extreme caution before staying here.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank captaink8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyburz
Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
#32 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Apex Inn
Apex Inn
#47 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Strawberry Lodge? Share your experiences!