“Love the Salsa”

Ranked #2 of 148 Restaurants in La Habra
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We've come to this restaurant on and off for some forty years. With all the Mexican themed restaurants available in this area, El Cholo has staying power. They get me hooked with their salsa which is much better than anything I've tasted on the East Coast. We were a group of five and most ordered some combination platter. I got the enchilada suiza, which quite frankly I wouldn't order again here. First of all, it's only one enchilada, and a small one at that. The sauce overpowered, rather than complement the enchilada. The others in our group seemed to be very pleased with their meals, so I'll consider my experience an outlier.
A nice touch after the meal is the praline candy served to each person. So, they got me coming with the salsa and going with the praline, but the middle part was so-so.

There are newer reviews for Cafe El Cholo

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The service is excellent, the decor and atmosphere is good. The food is barely average. Nothing stands out. I rather stay home and cook my own mexican food

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The place is nice, there is also a taco bar outside and it great to sit outside, have a glass of wine and a few tacos. I usally order the enchiladas inside. Service is good, its a nice night out.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

El Cholo is a great old school Mexican food experience. The best reason to go is their green corn tamales, which are available only May through October. The rest of the food is good, but the tamales are different and not something you'll find everywhere.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This restaurant is great. The atmosphere is nice, the food was great. I have to say they have the best cheese enchiladas I have ever had. The servers (especially Roger) are great and efficient. If you want to have a great Mexican meal with atmosphere, go here.