“Qiuet & Quaint”

The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla
Ranked #3 of 4 La Jolla B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this B&B and it was my first experience staying at one. I loved that there was no TV in our room and that the only noise we could hear were the seagulls flying by. We are a younger couple, and I think more couples our age (late 20's) should experience a quiet getaway like this B&B has to offer. The building had so much history to take in, and it's tucked away in a beautiful green area of La Jolla. The area was perfect for a stroll down to the beach to watch the sunset and just steps away from a few romantic restaurants near the shore. The next morning we took a nice long run in the surrounding neighborhood, then were served breakfast promptly at 9am. Such a memorable breakfast with another couple and the cook even served us a round of delicious mimosas.
We stayed in the Peacock Salon which has a private patio and is attached to another bigger patio and a living area. I enjoyed a sip of the complimentary Sherri on the patio while I took in the refreshing views of La Jolla.
Definitely a must visit again soon in my book!

There are newer reviews for The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at a B&B for the first time and we could not have chosen a better place to stay. All of the staff, especially the innkeeper, were so friendly and welcoming. We stayed in the beautiful Peacock Salon and loved the private balcony connected to the room. The bed felt absolutely heavenly and every inch of the room was spotlessly clean. The breakfast was delicious and we were able to meet several new people from all over the country. We could not have asked for a better experience and we plan on returning very soon!

Reviewed 28 August 2012

The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla met all of my expectations... and more! I planned a birthday surprise get away for my husband and was delighted with this choice. We stayed in the Holiday Suite which was large, ellegant, all white-on-white decor, a king size canopied bed, large real fireplace, lovely sitting area and hard wood floors even in the bathroom. ( My guess is this room was the original livng room of the home.)The breakfasts each morning were exceptional and the chef was a delight, describing each course for us and joyfully looking after our every need. The Inn Manager was gracious and warm. The gardens in the back were just lovely too. The location of the Inn could not have been better. My husband and I never used our car the entire three days we were in LaJolla. We strolled hand in hand everywhere. I was also pleasantly surprised with La Jolla itself - quality shops, excellent restaurants and beautiful views everywhere! I will highly recommend The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla to my friends.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Inn. The only issue was the room got a little too warm at night for me and my husband. There are no separate room controls. Other than that it was a great stay and we certainly go back. The Breakfasts were outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
marvelme_7, Director of Sales at The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

We thank you for your comments. I have addressed the lack of Temperature Controls in our Guest Rooms in numerous other reviews and I would like to simply re-post that response here to help clarify the situation and hopefully prevent any discomfort for future guests.

The Annex to the Inn was built in 1984 and the Historical section of the Inn was built in 1913. Needless to say individual ducts and compressors for all the rooms was out of the question without completely tearing down the historical section and reducing the number of rooms possible in the Annex. Central Heating and Air was the most logical choice at the time it became a B&B.

"The Central AC is turned down in the evenings as the temperature drops to what is generally a comfortable 70 degrees along the coast during this period of time. Since everybody is different in their preferences, we encourage our guests to either open or close vents, open or close their windows, or use their overhead fans or tower fans to adjust the temperature to their individual preferences. For example: Europeans or guest who reside in Arizona don't want the AC on at all and delight in opening their windows to the outside ocean air. "

Prior to the Innkeeper retiring for the evening you can also suggest the AC be turned on for a while to cool down the room if it has been an exceptionally warm day and your room seems less than comfortable. They will be happy to accommodate.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I found the best base to visiting San Diego, I love stay out the city to slip, La Jolla Cove is really nice place to take a cop days relax in the south California, and the BB is quid and comfortable to have a good vacations effect .

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully you will visit us again as our guest in the future. We strive to be the best we can possibly be and it is always disconcerting when guests give us less than a perfect score without letting us know why. I see you gave us a "4" out of a total "5" marks for overall rating as well as for the "Value", "Rooms", "Cleanliness". and "Service".

I know this is an inconvenience and takes time but we would really appreciate it if you could e mail the Inn with details as to where we fell short of the mark in these areas so we can correct the problems and improve upon the quality of your stay. Please put it to the attention of Marketing/Sales.

We really do want your stay to be a perfect "5"

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed at the Inn for two nights, in the Peacock Room. Loved the private balcony! The room is nicely decorated but be aware it is rather small, as is the bathroom. Not a problem, just good to be prepared, as it's hard to tell size from the photos online. For some reason, the smoke detector had been removed from our room. We alerted Margaret, who relayed our concern to the management. They mentioned they had just not had a chance to replace it yet - we were surprised at that comment, since smoke detectors are a safety issue! Nonetheless, we had a lovely stay. Breakfast was delicious - multi-course, each dish with a unique twist! We ate outside among the flowers and hummingbirds. Note that if you do not have a "compact" car, your car will not fit in their reserved spots. We parked on the street and had to move our car a couple of times. The location was super-convenient to shopping, restaurants, and the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review and we are glad that you will consider us in your future travel plans should you be coming back to visit La Jolla.
Sorry that you were misinformed as to the actions taken regarding the smoke detector as we did attempt to fix the smoke detector on several occasions without success. We replaced the battery and that didn't work and then tried to replace the entire smoke detector while you were out and about one afternoon - also to no avail. We were able to get an electrician out to service the smoke detector but that was after you had departed. Of course the safety of our guests are our first concern and we do have smoke detectors in every room and throughout the Inn. If one goes off everybody can hear it unfortunately. The choices were to let it continue to beep or temporarily remove it. I believe it was out of commission for no more than 24 hours.

The Peacock Salon is described as "Cozy" in its room description and it is indeed cozy but is also only one of two guest rooms with a balcony the other being the Gill Penthouse which has a private roof top patio. In addition to the balcony the popularity of the Peacock Salon is because of it's location to the Inn's Library allowing one the luxury of using the Library as an adjoining sitting room as few guests, whose rooms are not adjacent to the Library etc., seldom use it enjoying the Inn's gardens instead.

All our guest rooms are designed with our guest's sleeping comfort and relaxation in mind, warm and inviting and decorated to create a personable ambiance from the "coziest" to the most luxurious.

I would love to hear more from you regarding the Sleep Quality, Rooms, Cleanliness and Service
as we obviously did not meet with your satisfaction in these areas. We would appreciate you taking the time and sending us an e mail to the inn to the attention of Marketing/Sales with additional details.

Parking Is an issue I seem to address frequently so I will take the liberty of re wording a previous review
to inform guests who may have missed it elsewhere and for you in case you were to visit us in the future.
There are 5 FREE parking places at the back of the inn; but ,as you say, they are only for standard or compact cars and they are first come first serve.

There is also long or short term PAY to PARK parking at the corner of Kline and Fay Avenue just two short blocks from the Inn if other options are inconvenient for you. We also have a loading and unloading zone in front of the inn to facilitate handling of luggage.

There is FREE Parking as you say directly in front of the Inn but it is a two hour limit from 10 a.m till 4 p.m. everyday except Sunday when it is unlimited time parking. There is also FREE UNLIMITED TIME PARKING on Draper Ave. 1 block south of the Inn, Cuvier Avenue across from the Inn and on Eads Avenue directly behind the Inn.

I hope this will help guests who may be planning to visit us. There are numerous parking options available

Reviewed 21 August 2012

This was the second time we stayed at the Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla. The location is stellar, as it's just a couple of blocks off the beach (if that) and about a 15 minute walk to the northern side of La Jolla's downtown area. Both times we've stayed, the rooms have been immaculately clean, the staff is always extremely friendly and helpful, the beds perfectly comfortable, and the breakfast prepared by a stellar chef. We love this place and will definitely be staying a third (and beyond) time!

Room Tip: Ocean views aren't necessarily needed, as they all have great views.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family