“The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla”

The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla
Ranked #3 of 4 La Jolla B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Wonderful place, close to the ocean, great breakfast and very warm hospitality. We would definitely visit the B & B Inn at La Jolla again.

Only complaint - It was our first time in La Jolla, and we found the directions to the Inn were not as clear as they could be.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bbtoews
marvelme_7, Director of Sales at The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in La Jolla and taking the time to write a review. We also appreciate any way we can make your stay more comfortable and stress free, so I will review the directions that are currently posted and attempt to make them easier to follow. See you again when you make your second trip to La Jolla.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Spent a wonderful long weekend at The B&B Inn at La Jolla in mid-February 2014 . I proposed to my girlfriend over the weekend, and the staff was incredibly friendly and went out of their way to make our weekend feel special. The facilities and service were first-class, and the location was perfect as numerous activities were walking distance away. My finance and I agreed that we hope to come back in the future.

FYI the rooms are different, but we stayed in Peacock Salon which had a nice private balcony and gorgeous view.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bb333bb
marvelme_7, Manager at The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

We are glad we could make your weekend extra special. It isn;t everyday that one gets engaged. We look forward to your being our guest in the future - perhaps for a honeymoon or babymoon??.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Reality Check - I read the same reviews you may have read, most of which talked about how amazing The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla is. I'm sorry to say that I cannot be that enthusiastic. I have been to several B&B's across the U.S., and so my review is based on how this place compared to others I have visited. This place has the POTENTIAL to be amazing, but...

Here's my opinion of what they did well, and where they could have been better:

What They Did Well/What I Liked:

- The location is convenient to everything you want to see in and around La Jolla - much of it in walking distance if you are able.

- Delicious homemade cookies all day, every day!

- The charm of an old home, lovingly restored

- Friendly staff

Here's what they could have done/be doing better:

- Unlock the front door when guests are arriving (we tried the knob, knocked, peered through the window, and eventually walked around back and entered through the kitchen to try and find someone to check us in.) Compare this to another B&B along the California coast who greeted us by name in the parking lot as we arrived, and escorted us inside for a quick registration and tour of the property.

- Since they keep the door locked, explain how the key works. I embarrassed myself trying to unlock the door, whereupon I was advised that ALL the guests make that same mistake. If ALL the guests make the same mistake, why not address that during checkin?

- Thin walls. It is an old house, after all, and at least in the WindanSea Room, expect to hear a lot of noise from other guests coming up the stairs and even talking in the adjoining rooms.

- You'll be treated like family, but probably not pampered. More than once our requests, while granted with a smile, appeared to visibly bother the staff. And heaven forbid you sit down early for breakfast...you'll be advised that it will be AT LEAST five minutes before you'll be served if they see you sitting there.

- The complimentary sherry, while free and free-flowing, was, well, not very good. It's only a benefit if you can enjoy taking advantage of it.

- Breakfast was acceptable, although we had basically the same thing two days in a row. Oh, and be careful who you ask about substitutions. This seems to upset some of the staff members.

- You can do better for $600 over a weekend.

There's more, but that's enough. I really feel like there is a lot of low hanging fruit here that, with a little more effort, could make this a really great B&B. They are just not there yet.

Room Tip: If you are looking for privacy, ask the management about a quieter, more secluded room. Partial ocea...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rich R
marvelme_7, General Manager at The Bed & Breakfast Inn at La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We will make sure that your issues are addressed. We do keep the front door locked when the innkeeper is temporary away from the front desk for security purposes - the door bell is located to the right of the door for guests convenience. I agree keys should be explained at time of check in which is standard procedure. We apologize that our rooms are not sound proof, but it is as you say a home, even if it does have 4" thick lath and plaster walls.
We pride ourselves on our personalized service and apologize that it was less than you expected. Your suggestions will be taken seriously.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This bed and breakfast is wonderful. It is clean, the staff are friendly and provide great service, the bed is very comfortable, and the food is delicious! My boyfriend and I stayed here for New Year's Eve and had a great time. The manager is a charming and friendly Irish woman who makes an amazing three-course hot breakfast. We had fresh fruit, English muffin, eggs on puff pastry with a delicious creamy sauce, bacon, and a freshly made blintz for dessert! It was splendid!

The Inn also serves homemade chocolate chip cookies, hot beverages and soda anytime you want them, and a wine and cheese reception at 5 pm. These small touches make the Inn such a cozy and fun place to stay!

The Inn is also conveniently located. You can easily walk into downtown La Jolla and enjoy strolling around the town.

The room was stayed in was the Ellen Browning Scripps. We loved this room because it was private, quiet, clean, and had a wonderfully comfortable mattress which provided us with a very good night's rest.

I highly recommend this Inn and my boyfriend and I have decided we will definitely come back here and make this our "getaway place," as we live in Orange County and plan to drive down for a weekend again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Misa2014

We appreciate your wonderful review acknowledging our international ambiance, and for relishing and describing our 3 course, candlelit, gourmet breakfast in such detail - Our chef thanks you. and our staff thank you. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

As local La Jolla residents, we found our spontaneous stay at the Inn, although prompted by necessity, nevertheless a delight. Rewarded by a nicely furnished room, personable and accommodating service and, above all, a splendid breakfast, we would not hesitate to recommend the Inn to anyone visiting our fair village by the sea. Note to Dorothy: The yellow brick road leads to La Jolla. There is no point to clicking your heals after that. Note to management: Some of us “roughhewn” individuals like to see the local team on television as we approach playoff season but find it frustrating when the minimal cable connection will not permit it (this was after leaving our room with a wood burning fireplace for one with a television but to no avail).

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank barasurr

Thank you for your reference to our B&B as the "Jewel of La Jolla" in spite of the cable glitch regarding the playoffs. We are always thrilled to be able to have members of the San Diego communities visit us. Hope you will drop by to say "Hi" from time to time and join us for wine and cheese. Please let your friends and neighbors know that we make a great "2nd Guestroom" .

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stay at The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla whenever I want to treat myself. The rooms are charming and the beds are comfortable. I stayed in the Kate Sessions room - perfect for one. The breakfast was delicious and filling and even came with dessert! A great way to start the day. I especially like staying here as I grew up in La Jolla and the location feels more like staying in a house with an easy walk to the cove, Prospect or Girard for restaurants or shopping. The staff were friendly as well. All in all, I would recommend it without hesitation.

Room Tip: You need to look at the photos on their web site and read the room descriptions to make sure you get...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Robin S

We are proud to be the "home" you choose when re visiting La Jolla and to know that we have succeeded in making you feel comfortable, relaxed and welcome just as you would staying at the home of a dear friend. Please return soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Bed and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla is a very charming and warm place to nestle up and relax. The location is within walking distance to many of the shops and restaurants in La Jolla, yet it is tucked away and feels very private and secluded. We were unfortunately not able to stay for the, what I assume was a delicious, breakfast due to an emergency that my husband had to attend to at work that morning. However, when I informed the inn keeper that night that we would not be staying for breakfast she packed two little goodie bags for us to take with us in the morning. What a nice touch. I would certainly recommend this little gem and hope that we can stay there again in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aimers

We are so flattered that you referred to us a "Gem", needless to say, we concur. We look forward to your next visit.