La Valencia Hotel
US$224
  • Restaurant
US$224
  • Breakfast included
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$311
US$198
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$264
US$226
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$237
  • Breakfast included
US$450
US$441
  • Pool
La Jolla Beach Travelodge(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$140
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$187
1,241 results
All reviewspink ladywhaling barcafe la ruebeautiful hotelocean viewlobby barbottle of champagnesan diegorooms are smallla jolla covesea lionsgorgeous viewsold schoolthe entire staffan older hotelvalet parkingvalet service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My husband and I booked an ocean view villa. We were warmly welcomed and escorted to our villa (villa 7) . Our "villa" was an average size room with a very small balcony and a large luxurious bathroom. But the carpet and the upholstered chairs were very worn and the chairs soiled, It was not a room in which we wished to spend any time. When we pointed out the soiled furniture, the bellman offerred to switch out the chairs. When the bellman called the manager, the manager offerred to upgrade us to another villa. This villa (villa 3) )) was lovely. It had a dining area, a large living area, bedroom and bath.

The conceirge was most helpful the first day in making dinner reservations for us. After the first day (Saturday, there was never anyone at the conceirge desk. Other hotel staff saw us standing by the desk, but made no offer to help.

Our experience with La Valencia was if we sought out staff and asked for something, they were helpful, but they were not good at anticipating our needs. They did refer us to a great car service - Rio Limousine-

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Shreveportspoon
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Hotel could.t be located in a better spot. Right in center of town, on the beach.
Historic Hotel so no elevators so be prepared for stairs.
Room a little noisy with AC on.
Clean rooms but needed updating.

Room Tip: Don't stay in an end room near the Air Conditioning Equipment that runs all the time. You enter on the 7th floor and no elevators so watch what floor they put you on.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob98fatboy
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I booked myself a suite with an ocean view over new year's weekend, and it was without a doubt the most disappointing hotel experience of my life. I had always loved the La Valencia as a casual visitor, and enjoyed having lunch on the terrace or drinks in the main room overlooking the ocean. So I thought it would be wonderful to treat myself and stay there as a guest. Oh, how wrong I was!

First of all, although my room did have a lovely ocean view, the room itself was dilapidated. The furnishings were rickety, none of the light switches worked (I had to fumble around to find a switch on the cord for each individual lamp), and the decor was drab and unattractive. The carpet and wallpaper had clearly not been replaced for years, and there was no art or any other kind of decor on the walls. There were stains on the bathrobes, and no coverings on the bathroom windows.

There was no hot water on any of the three separate occasions I attempted to shower. At best it would be lukewarm for a few moments. Instead of luxuriating in a nice hot shower -- one of the most basic human comforts -- I had to rush through cold showers each time. There was also no internet access in my room.

When I complained about these various problems to the staff I was simply told that they would let the manager know. Nothing was done to remedy the problem or ensure my comfort during my actual stay. NOTHING. They seemed to have the attitude that if you're staying at the La Valencia, that alone should be enough for you. Why should they be bothered to put any effort into making your stay pleasant -- or even satisfactory?

Of course I paid plenty of money for this ocean-view room. Not only did I have an unsatisfactory room, no hot water, and poor service, but they didn't even have the class to include some kind of complimentary breakfast or coffee/tea service for their guests. I feel completely ripped off, and will never stay here again. My entire image of the La Valencia is forever tainted by this poor experience.

In contrast, the Best Western Inn by the Sea down the street offers nicer rooms (many with ocean views), better service, and complimentary breakfast and parking.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank LibbyTeal
LaValenciaHotel, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear LibbyTeal,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. I am troubled to hear of your negative experience with us and would like to address this with you at your earliest convenience. We truly value each guest who visits our property, and it is standard that any expression of discomfort should be resolved immediately.

We have attempted to contact you since your departure and unfortunately our correspondence has been unreturned. If I may ask, please call me directly at 858.551.3790 so we can discuss your experience in person.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Guests beware: la Valencia can be a most charming luxury stay in the heart of la jolla village with stunning views over the pacific ocean OR if you find yourself stuck in the west wing, a shoe box of a space, stale air and leaning supply smells. Insist on the main building when booking. Rooms aside the staff was extraordinarily hospitable, food & drink outstanding and common spaces clean and well appointed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank kulakukuinut

Dear Kulakukinut,

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our staff for their service and your enjoyment of our dining outlets. La Valencia is a unique property as we have many different types of room categories to offer to our guests. Although these rooms may differ in size, they should not differ in quality. It is our goal to have every type of room offered to our guests to meet their expectations.

Starting in December 2011 through the balance of this year we have been and will be undergoing room renovations to ensure that our guest rooms reflect the quality desired of the modern day luxury traveler. As of today, the majority of the rooms in our West Wing have been remodeled with new bathrooms, carpet, furniture and amenities. This process will continue throughout our entire property.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to experience these positive changes to our property.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We have been coming to the La Valencia for years when we visit, mostly to enjoy a celebratory drink in the grand living room like lounge area, or a cozy red boothed dinner at The Whaling Bar. (And occasionally we stay there too). When we stopped by recently we were saddened and surprised to find the cozy furniture of the lounge (The La Scala Room) had been replaced surprisingly uncomfortable and cheap feeling furniture, that belongs in a second tier resort. Not the La Valencia. And the service felt less than gracious. I worry the the price the new owners paid for the hotel is going to require them to cheapen the uniqueness of the hotel. Hopefully this lovely landmark won't become just another corporate hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank mikelove

Dear Mikelove,

I am delighted to hear you had the chance to stop by La Valencia on your visit to La Jolla. As you noticed we have started the beginning stage of planned renovations to our property. Please rest assured that our ownership has great respect for the history and legacy of La Valencia and its place within the community. At this time it has become necessary to update our amenities to provide the quality of service our guests expect.

I hope that you have a chance later this year to visit us again to see the renovation and updates completed. I am confident you will see many positive changes.