“Historic hotel in a great location”
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Can't beat the location-just steps to restaurants, shopping & the cove. Staff was professional & helpful. Live music in the lobby was nice touch. Breakfast was good, but a little pricey, especially if you just want something lite, but they have free coffee in the room & in the lobby....Would definitely stay here again, especially with the rate I got at BookIt, which included free parking a bottle of wine-saved over $400.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Dear NJ Guest –

And many thanks from La V – we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, especially the staff. In 2013 we’re planning some new options for dining including a return of Café La Rue (originally opened in the 1940’s). This venue will include more casual dining options a la European Bistro fare and is set to open in late April – we hope you come back and visit!

Happy Holidays,

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I had previewed La Jolla locations for a rehearsal dinner almost ten months in advance of the date and found "The Galleria" room unparallelled for its spectacular view of the northern cove coastline, especially at sunset. I also compared cuisine with several other venues and again found the La Valencia to taste the best of the top-rated restaurants I selected to experience. Aside from my initial in person interview/consultation with the event co-ordinator, all other planning details were handled long distance since this was a destination wedding for everyone.

The wait staff and service was excellent, the food superb, and my final bill was slightly under the original estimate (including consumption bar) provided. There should be no qualms about booking this location from afar!

1  Thank Deborah G
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear Texas Planner;

I am so pleased that our team made your long distance planning smooth and comfortable and even more thrilled to know that your rehearsal dinner was a success. Our location with stunning coastline views is grand but it is the staff and cuisine that we hope our guests remember the most

Thank you again and Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 2 December 2012

Tonight my husband and I stopped in the Whaling Bar & Grill for an after dinner scotch. I understand most come to this site to review the hotels accommodations and services but I would like to point out that there is so much more to this beautiful place. I've dreamed of spending time in what my 2 year old calls "our Seashell" (the building is an amazing soft pink...like the inside of a shell)...but being a mother of three small children, even while living in La Jolla for over a year, I haven't gotten the free time to stay here yet but had to check out what the locals proudly called "theirs". We walked into the most intimate warm space I've been in in a while. It's soft dark woods and hushed conversation.the bartender looked as if he was painted in himself...smile and all It so oozes masculinity you can almost smell Gregory Peck's cologne. Even if you don't chose to stay at this hotel it is so worth stopping and soaking it all in. This momma has called dibs on a "kid free" staycation and booking a room for after the holidays and taking the rest of our SeaShell in. It was the perfect ending to a perfect evening.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cassandra J

Dear Local – we love you!

Thank you very much for the lovely words and descriptions of our “seashell” pink icon. With 8+ decades of enchantment, La V does evoke a host of wonderful feelings and experiences from our cozy 1928 wing rooms to our grand villas from 2000. I especially like your description of the bartender; we are blessed to have some staff who have been with La Valencia for over 50 years which is a testament to the properties enduring legacy.

La V is crafting more plans to re-invent our hotel for future generations with room renovations, restaurant concepts and wellness programs on the horizon for 2013 and beyond; we look forward to sharing them with you and all our guests.

Happy Holidays,

Reviewed 29 November 2012

I should preface this review by saying that we encountered issues with our room. However, the manager on duty (Todd) was helpful, understanding, and did what he could to help rectify the situation. This is why I gave LV 4 stars rather than 2 or 3. His customer service, along with the rest of the LV staff, is why my husband and I would choose to return to this hotel in the future.

We stayed for one night in a traditional room with a partial ocean view in mid-November 2012. Yes - it is smaller than other hotel rooms, the windows are older with no screens, and there is very little counter space in the bathroom. However, the room has some nice amenities, including Molten Brown bath products, cotton balls and q-tips (it's the little things that count), and a Keurig single cup coffee maker with Wolfgang Puck coffee and some nice teas (though we didn't get to try the coffee or tea). Plus, the location of the hotel and the views of the ocean are AMAZING, so those are big plusses. The wonderful staff also surprised us with complimentary (and YUMMY!) chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of champagne, as we were celebrating our anniversary, along with turning down the bed. It was a nice surprise, upon returning to our room after a late night out on the town.

Now... the problem we encountered. I think other reviewers had mentioned this, but the hotel is in the process of some major renovations and upgrading. Our room, unfortunately, had not been upgraded, including the bed itself. I barely slept 4 hours total that night. After tossing and turning for two hours, trying to find some comfortable spot to sleep in that bed, I finally got up and debated about going downstairs, in my pajamas, to complain. Instead, my husband woke up, and we took the bedsheets off to see what the problem could be. We discovered that my side of the bed was very soft and sank very low in the middle. Thankfully, my husband doesn't seem to mind these kinds of things, so we switched sides, and I decided I would wait until the morning to alert management. Those last few hours of sleep, however, were later interrupted by a 7:34AM pick-up by a loud garbage truck that even the room fan couldn't mask.

As we liked the staff and see the amazing potential of this hotel to continue its legacy for years to come, I thought it would be best to talk with the management and offer (what I hope were) helpful suggestions, including not offering this room to others until it has been upgraded (at the very least, change the bed and update & soundproof the windows). Todd, as I mentioned earlier, rose to the occasion by listening intently and offering professional and acceptable service in response to our complaint. Because we had pre-paid our room months before (using an online travel deal we found), he was unable to refund our payment. However, he did comp us the valet charge, so that was helpful and appreciated.

Again, we would like to stay at the La Valencia, in the future. Hopefully, though, the hotel will be finished with its renovations and can guarantee a more restful, relaxing stay, instead of what we encountered on this particular visit.

Room Tip: Request an upgraded/renovated room, if possible.
1  Thank rem869
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Dear Redmond Guest -

I am especially happy to see your great comments on our staff and appreciate your vote of confidence in plans top return.

La V is indeed completing guest room renovations and we are in the home stretch. I do apologize that the bed was not acceptable (it has since been replaced) but am happy to see that our many room amenities from imported bath amenities to premium coffee were a hit. With 112 very unique rooms we have much to offer. The online room types which are the best value are not always the best view. We encourage you to call the hotel directly and let our staff know what your main goals would be - many of our traditional rooms face west with stunning ocean views. The renovated bathrooms will have more functionality with glass showers and dual shower heads - we expect to wrap up the guest room project right after the first of the year.

We thank you for your comments. In the end, the staff is our best feature so I am so pleased to know that was your main praise - we'll be here for your next stay!

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 November 2012

My husband and I scored a deal through an online website to the La Valencia and thought we would have a small room in the back. We were surprised to stay in a Villa which included a fireplace, jetted tub and the most comfortable bed we could have imagined. The staff were pleasant and extremely helpful. Although we did not have a view of the ocean, it was only a quick 5 minute walk down to the beach where the sea lions hang out. The only thing we would advise people about is that there is only valet parking for the hotel and the surrounding streets are only 2 hour parking.

1  Thank Ashley K

Dear Montana Guest -

We're so happy that La V was a great escape - thank you for the nice compliments. Celebrating our 86th year in the heart of the Village of La Jolla, we do have the ideal location for enjoying the best of coastal San Diego. We hope you come back soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We spent two nights at this lovely hotel. All staff were very helpful and polite. The hotel is beautiful. Our room (103) was nicely appointed and spacious. Unfortunately most of the windows opened to a view of either a brick wall or a building under construction next door. One window had a nice ocean view though. The hotel is an easy walk to shops and dining in the village. It is also an easy walk to the park and cove. We will definitely stay here next time we are in La Jolla.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Dear LA Guest –

Thank you for selecting La V for your get away and for sharing your great reviews. Our unique boutique hotel as a variety of room views and locations from garden villas to classic suites with pool and coastline views to our intimate vintage rooms with stunning ocean views . . . and yes, a couple have views that include a neighboring wall; I am glad you enjoyed some ocean sites from one of your suite windows.

When you return try out one of our other distinctive rooms, suites and villas- each offers something special.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We held our daughters Sweet 16 Brunch at the Valencia Hotel which was a huge success.
The staff were excellent from the very moment I contacted them regarding this event.
We worked out all the details with the hotel staff which were courteous and very helpful.
On the day of the event, they had everything we needed ready to go, from the beautiful signage to the big screen TV for the slide show.
Did I mention that the food is fantastic?
I would definitely recommend the Valencia Hotel not only for an excellent stay, as it is truly the best hotel in La Jolla, but to do any kind of event as well.

Room Tip: I didn't stay there on this trip as I am a local, but I have stayed there and it is WONDERFUL
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MaileAguerre

Sweet 16 is just the start!

Thank you for the great complements – we’re very happy that the celebration was a grand success. So next in line will be a college graduation party and then the big wedding so keep in mind that La V is ready and waiting to make your family milestones a tradition.

Many thanks and see you soon,

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!