“Disappointing facility but friendly stafff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
“Disappointing facility but friendly stafff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I had high expectations of this hotel after seeing the beautiful photos and reading other reviews. I was disappointed for the following reasons:
1. Rooms were extremely small as well as bathrooms
2. When we checked in I mentioned I was on my honeymoon & the desk clerk merely replied that check in was at 4:00 and room wasn't ready yet.
3. Pool was dirty with lots of sand, some of the lounge chairs had bird droppings on them.
4. My husband got up early to use the hot tub (also dirty) and it had not been serviced yet as water level was lower than jets.
Attendant came by half hour later to service and clean it but unfortunately we had to check out by the time it was ready.

Positives include the following:
1. All staff with exception o front desk clerk were friendly and accommodating.
2. Valet staff were great.
3. Bed linens were wonderful, very luxurious & comfortable.
4. Room service was prompt and friendly.

My experience was the staff outweighed the facility. I had higher expectations than this hotel could deliver.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris M
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear Important Guest -
Our apologies that we did not hit the mark on your expectations - we will continue to ensure great experiences for all guests. I very much appreciate the positives you listed and feel many of these are our strong points - service is key.
La V does offer a generous selection of room types and sizes and of course at a wide price range - if you did not book direct you may not have been aware of these options. You mention that your room was ready until 4 PM on arrival - I can't really take the heat for this as 4 PM is our check-in time so we did meet our obligation. We also offer a noon check-out (where most hotels require 11 AM) so you can lounge around. Bird droppings are a constant up-keep and we do our best to manage the constant flocks of seagulls along the coast. We do have a daily pool and spa maintenance service - you mention your early arrival to the spa which appears t be prior to service - I will review the times again with our engineering team to see if we can make a change without disrupting rooms near the spa/pool.
Thank you again for your feedback - we hope you will return again.
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

My wife and I and our 5 yr old son just got back from a weekend stay at La Valencia. Everything about our stay was Great. It was our anniversary and the hotel reservationist booked us into a beautiful partial ocean view. We did not find the room small at all and it was very comfortable. The hotel sent us cava and strawberries as an anniversary gift which was very thoughtful. We ate breakfast and dinner on the patio of the hotel restaurant with incredible views of the ocean. The food was delicious at each meal as well as at the pool. This hotel has a unique grace and charm which is complimented by the attentive staff. We look forward to anpther visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Denver Family -
Happy Anniversary and thank you for celebrating at La V - I am happy to know our staff added to your great experience. Thank you also for the favorable comment on your room size. The rooms in our Tower wing are more intimate compared to a new build but I and most guests feel the 9 ft. ceilings and large picture windows with views of the Pacific more than make up for square footage! Our Cabrillo and Sevilla wings offer options for suites and studios and of course our Villas are a whole other experience!
Anniversaries come every year so we hope you make La V an annual retreat - thank you!
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We just got back from a week at the Valencia and we truly loved our stay. The room we stayed in - I believe in an older part of the hotel - had a street view, but was large and beautifully appointed. The view of the pool area and the ocean beyond that, from the garden area is truly special - my photos of that, and other aspects of the property, probably got me more 'likes' on Facebook than any photos I have ever shared. Yeah, I know .. live in the moment.

Robert, and all of the staff at the pool bar were fantastic and I made a point of stopping there for a drink most days just to talk to him about baseball, La Jolla, etc. It seems that they truly enjoy their job. They made me feel so welcome to just come by and hang out.

The valet staff were amazingly attentive, professional, and friendly. Customer service at that level is very rare. They made me feel like LA V was my home for that week.

I would also like to comment on the restaurant. We liked it enough to eat dinner there twice in a week. That is saying a lot when there are so many other options in the village. The aged sirloin was incredible - nothing disappointed. My wife has to eat gluten-free and she was accommodated very well.

The only thing that I can add to this is ... I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Fab Four -
THANK YOU for the wonderful accolades on your week long stay at La V - I was especially thrilled to read your mentions of staff service including Robert at the pool Thank you also for making THE MED restaurant a dining choice for several nights - our new executive chef Daniel Barron is whipping up a frenzy of exceptional tastes and selections. Village View rooms have their own charm and I am happy your accommodations were also enjoyable - next time let us know when you're coming to La Jolla and we'll arrange for a slice of that sparking Pacific Ocean!
Cheers,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Classic old school elegance. The staff were just wonderful and made us feel very welcome and comfortable.
My husband and I traveled from NYC with our 9 month old son and found the crib excellent and attention we received the perfect balance between attentive and relaxed.
It is a shame the bar shuts so early as I would have liked a nightcap when we returned from dinner but could I have gone and enjoyed the pool the next day though?
NO! and really it's not to be missed.
We looked the pool guy, really reminded me of a cool Bret Easton Ellis character.
Go there and chill out and soak up the relaxed vibe. Next time I'm staying in one of the villas overlooking the bay, looks like heaven on earth.

Room Tip: high and over the pool/bay is the best.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear NYC Family -
Thank you and Thank you - your review and compliments are awesome and we appreciate the accolades. Your description of one of our pool attendants will make his day. I promise you when Café laRue opens in late October we'll have the bar open for nightcaps 7 nights a week!
Please make plans to come back soon -
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I got married in San Diego over Labor Day weekend. We had to get back to work, but had one night to celebrate and decided to spend it at the La Valencia. I made our reservation on Expedia, when we checked in my husband mentioned we had gotten married yesterday and the concierge upgraded us to a villa with a full ocean view!!! During our stay everyone at the property gave us 4 star service and made us feel so special. We had a wonderful night in Villa 11 and look forward to our next stay at this beautiful property.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mini Moon -
Congrats on the Labor Day Wedding and thank you for running to La V for an overnight retreat. Out team absolutely loves to help celebrate special occasions so do not hesitate to call us again for the next occasion - birthdays, anniversaries and even Tuesdays . . . they are all special to us!
Thank you again and see you soon.
Escondido, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at La V 24 years ago, and when our daughter became engaged, she requested that her celebration be there as well. The event coordinator Jane Graves, came through for us in a BIG WAY. The reception, held in the Mediterranean Room and Patio, was MAGICAL.
The construction was not complete, but the set up was such that only "regulars" would notice the grand entrance was missing, and the guests enjoyed the fabulous view from the Med Room window.
The concierge and valet staff were exceptional.
The bed and linens were outstanding.
We had an excellent overall experience for the wedding weekend we spent at the hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Returning Bride and Mother of the Bride!
You were a treat to plan this event with and we thank you for entrusting this special event to our care. Your patience while we finished the final touches on the new entry were much appreciated (is officially opened on September 5th). We hope you and your family continue to make La V your choice for generations of celebrations.
A grateful thank you from a grateful hotel staff -
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I decided to honeymoon in San Diego, since neither of us have been. We spent the first half of our trip in the city and then drove north to La Jolla. When asked if we were celebrating anything, they upgraded us to a beautiful Villa! The room was perfect. Shortly after we checked in, they sent us a bottle of champagne and chocolates. Everyone there made us feel so special. We couldn't have asked for a better trip! Not to mention that the location of this hotel cannot be beat. The views are stunning and you can pretty much walk everywhere you need to go.

Room Tip: If you feel like spending a little extra for a view, it's worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Honeymoon Couple -
We think you should treat yourselves like everyday is your honeymoon! Many thanks for escaping to our unique boutique hotel - I am so happy to know our staff made sure your stay was warm and welcoming!
Please return soon - perhaps for your 1st anniversary!
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Tower23 Hotel
Tower23 Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!