1,295 results
All reviewspink ladywhaling barcafe la ruebeautiful hotelocean viewlobby barbottle of champagnerooms are smallsan diegocenter of la jollasea lionsscripps parkold schoolthe entire staffluxury hotelan older hotelvalet parking
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We recently spent a week at this hotel. The room was beautifully appointed but small. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens luxurious. The bathroom was small with just a shower. The grounds are beautiful with a pool and ocean view. There is a small gym which is open 24 hours. The location is fantastic in La Jolla, close to the ocean as well as restaurants and shopping. Only valet parking is available and there is a $30 charge per day. We ate at one of the restaurants at happy hour and the food was very good. The big negative while we were there was construction which was very disruptive. It was noisy from early in the morning until early evening. We were told it would only be for a day or so but it was for the duration of our stay. The people at the front desk did not appear to be well informed about the construction schedule. We would stay there again but not if there is construction!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Toronto Guest -
Thank you very much for choosing La V and providing great feedback. Our La Sala Lounge renovation project was completed on April 16th - we apologize for the intrusion during your stay. Your room description would be our Vintage Room category; smaller and cozy with euro-style bathrooms. We do offer larger accommodations in our Classic category and for more space and indulgence - our villas take the lead. From Vintage to Classic to Villa - we offer 3 different selections at a wide range of rates. Thank you again!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My company planned a very last minute 3 days meeting on site at La Valencia. Leo Lopez was so great and informative. We planned this extensive 3 day trip, filled with meetings, breakfasts. lunches. dinners and golfing within 2 days! He/the hotel was so accommodating to our last minute changes and responded VERY quickly to all questions we had. The hotel is GORGEOUS and was such a pleasure to stay at!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Company Guest -
THANK YOU for the fabulous review - we are so pleased that the last minute meeting plans were handled to your expectations; Leo is the epitome of guest service. We do believe that meetings and business can be a true pleasure at La V.
Come back soon!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had never stayed at this hotel before and I am so glad I did! This is the perfect La Jolla experience, outstanding service, incredible views and a wonderful setting reminiscent of another era. The rooms too are large and well appointed.

The setting, built into the hill leading to La Jolla cove made for a great transition from the lovely town to a feeling of isolated beauty in the pool are and surrounding grounds. The service was awesome from the first encounter with the valet to the pool maintenance staff who stopped to bring me a towel for to make me comfortable ready poolside and everyone in between that I encountered.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a luxury hotel with old world charm but at a price I feel was a great value for this experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Boston Perfect -
I am especially pleased to know that La V - and more importantly, our team - made your first experience grand; thank you. We want every stay, every time for every guest to be a rewarding and enriching experience - our guests are our passion. We look forward to your second, third and forth visits very soon!
Ciao!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I did not stay in the rooms in the hotel but went to have a glass of wine in the lobby. I have been going to this hotel since I was a child, 40 plus years and I always loved walking into the hotel. The new owners have ruined it! Instead of getting a designer that knows about the Spanish history they looked like they went to a garage sale and bought ugly furniture. There is so much they messed up I could not right it all. Giant glass elevator in the once beautiful lobby and a tacky bar. Persian palace is one way I would describe it. They are mixing asian, indian, paris and cheep tacky hotel look and not to much Spanish in the finishes and decor. It is so sad to see this happen to a beautiful landmark. I will not be going back for any reason. Too upsetting!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank lynette a
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Sad Person -
Our restaurant manager shared with me your very aggressive and hostile outburst at our hotel; quite disturbing and I imagine embarrassing for your friends. Your review is extremely misinformed and lacks significant facts and insight. Since you also indicate you did not stay at the hotel I have asked for your review to be removed.
In any event I am compelled to include some feedback to your comments which appear to be focused on our recently renovated and restored La Sala Lounge.
The restoration of this iconic room included significant research into the hotels history and evolution as well as uncovering details and designed from similar period 1920's Spanish architecture. The rooms massive painted celling panels were restored to their original 1928 design. The up-dated cross beam designs where based on research from similar renowned venues including the Santa Barbara Courthouse, Hearst Castle and the San Diego Bank & Trust Building – the commissioned artist is a native of La Jolla and her credits include The US Grant.
The carpets remain the same from previous ownership and the current furnishings were re-purposed from suites (also from previous ownership). New furnishings arrive in the coming months.
New enhancements include Mediterranean designed iron wall sconces and 2 tier specially designed wrought iron chandeliers. The former chandeliers are being restored and will be installed on the newly added terrace trellis. We have also restored the circa 1928 tile water wall which has not worked in half a century. Among other items you failed to note was the addition of medallion tile work at the base of the columns as well as Spanish tiles on the step risers - sourced from California Tile Art - awarded for authentic period materials.
The "glass" elevator you speak of is the interior enclosure for ADA accessibility - not only a requirement but a must to ensure that all guests have access to this signature lower level room and the adjoining terrace as well as the upper level mezzanine. This will soon be clad in decorative iron work which mirrors the circa 1926 entry doors of the former Los Apartamentos de Sevilla - our namesake before La V debuted in 1928. It is extremely important to us that all guests have access to our public areas.
The French décor you mention is likely that of the three Café la Rue murals which were commissioned by hotels owners in the late 1940's for the room – the same artist painted the whaling mural which we will reinstall in a new area of the hotel later this year. We worked in collaboration with the artist’s son on the new installation for this intimate street front bistro and bar.
I am sorry to know that in your 40 years of La Valencia experience you seem to know so very little about the hotels true history and evolution. I can assure you that La V is not a thing of the past - rather she is now well poised to move elegantly, confidently and with a bit more panache into a new generation of international hospitality - albeit without your patronage.
Great hotels grow greater through change and innovation - La V has mastered this for 9 decades and will continue to do so well into the future. If you would like a personal tour and detailed history lesson on La Valencia - please make time to contact me directly at 858-551-3790. If you have any real passion and sincere fondness for La V, you will also rethink your review and have it removed.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I recently spent the weekend at this hotel and have to say it is truly beautiful, the rooms are large and comfortable, the bed one of the best I have ever slept in. We arrived late on a Friday night, the TV in the room was not working so a new one was brought to the room, it didn’t work either so finally a third working TV came, by this time after the drive in I was too tired to watch.
After a solid night’s sleep we were woken by the room alarm clock going off at 7am…not great for a relaxing weekend away sleep in but we did manage to get back to sleep. Around 10am headed for a lovely breakfast on the terrace, where my friend ordered a vegetarian omelet, only to find ham in it (which was a spot of trouble considering for religious reasons my friend cannot eat ham the staff were apologetic and breakfast was already on the house due to the above room problems coupled with the extremely noisy room/air-condition unit).
Next we moved to the pool, which was relaxing, fabulous and fun. The staff at the pool were amazing as too were the burgers and frozen cocktails. A great way to spend a Saturday.
Upon check out on Sunday everyone was efficient and helpful and apologized for the problems with the kitchen and the room, all was great until I got home and check my credit card statement only to find they had charged me 3 times (different amounts each time, I am now waiting to have the amounts reversed).
Even though there were some issued with my 2 night stay, I love the hotel itself, the rooms, the pool, the setting and the town, I would recommend it to anyone wanting a weekend away, just check your room’s alarm clock and bill carefully!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Pool Party -
We are grateful for your honest review and comments. We missed some important areas and apologize but we thank you for sharing many of the high points that would warrant a return - please know that we use each guest comment as a tool for improvement.
We hope you return soon - thank you!