“Amazing!”
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Gorgeous views, wonderful room! I know the bathroom was a bit teeny but we loved the room! We had just come from a meeting at a hotel in Mission Beach that was full of screaming children and this was a relaxing treat! Excellent restaurant and room service. Friendly staff!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room higher up, you won't be disappointed. The lobby (street level) is at...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear AZ Guest -
Thank you very much for sharing your praise of La V. I appreciate the photos you posted of your room - you have our Vintage rooms, cozy and yes - intimate bathrooms (the views from upper floors are wonderful). We do offer 2 other room types with Classic room or Villa for indulgence. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Ciao -

There are newer reviews for La Valencia Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at La Valencia 20 years ago, and it was a magical time for me and my then boyfriend, now husband. Fast forward to yesterday...my Goddaughter is on vacation in SoCal and she took my advice and booked a night at LaV. This trip for her is poignant in that 1 month ago, her mother, my best friend. passed away at age 57 from Glioblastoma - a deadly brain tumor. 3.5 months from Dx to her passing. My Goddaughter needs and deserves some beauty, peace and joy. So....once I found out that she was indeed staying there, I went to work to see if there was anything I could, based on availability of course, to make her stay there even more special. I was NOT disappointed. In-house reservations staff member, Elvia, worked with me to ensure that my GD had the best room possible, and then Concierge Bree, helped me to send a bottle of wine (on the house...btw!!) to my GD's room for her arrival. Their dedication and passion to ensuring that my GD was well taken care of was top notch, and to me, the signs of a well managed team and property. I can't say thank you enough to Bree and Elvia....they certainly did not have to go above and beyond for me, but they took my requests and ran with them! This is the kind of customer care that ensures that I will be booking at La Valencia as soon as I find a reason...or not...to be in La Jolla! Thank you SO much, Bree, Elvia and la Valencia!!

1  Thank Amy A

Dear Amazing!
WOW - we really appreciate the kudos on our services and our team especially Bree and Elvia - thank you. Team La V is so honored to have such wonderful guests - that makes creating great service comes easy. Thank you again for sharing your comments and please know that we are ready for your return.
Cheers,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were guests at La Valencia from July 14-16, 2014. Our reservations were booked over the phone, not on the internet. WE stayed in an oceanfront villa (#12) which has a fireplace, balcony, jacuzzi tub, and the best shower we've ever experienced. There is a rain head as well as a forceful adjustable shower head.

The location can't be beat. You don't even need a car. Our friends who live locally came over and couldn't believe how terrific it was and said it will be their #1 recommendation to visiting family and friends.

The staff from check-in to valet to housekeeping were friendly and attentive. The grounds, common area and room were immaculate.

Nearly forgot to mention the champagne and beautiful & delicious chocolate dipped strawberries with a lovely, personalized anniversary greeting.

We WILL be back!

Room Tip: Adored the ocean front room. However, if the sound of seagulls or children at play in the park acro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Happiness ++++
We love you and love your friends for believing that La V is #1 - that is a honor we respect and are humbled by - thank you.I am happy that your villa experience was enjoyable and yes, agree that seagulls and children in Scripps Park can sometimes be part of package but I am glad the privacy and luxury trappings of the accommodations balanced the mix.
Thank you again - we hope to see you back at La V soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Although it's a bit pricey, the quality of the rooms and how beautiful the hotel was made us feel it was really worth it.

The location is superb-easy access to the beach and to the shops/restaurants, valet parking (although it's quite pricey), beautiful pool with spectacular views of the sea.

Loved it here and would definitely go back in the future!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Beautiful Guest -
BRAVO and thank you from a grateful and gracious team; we are so pleased that your stay and hotel experience earned us a 5 star review. We hope to see you back again and we will continue to work hard to earn your loyalty.
Best regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend for a little getaway. Rooms still dated the new bar area looks nice and what they have done with the outside balcony is cool. Unfortunately that is where the changes for the good stop. The fine dining restaurant... cheaply done poor lighting, really mediocre food. We were here earlier this year the room was just as ugly but at least the food was good. Service: nobody anywhere. Could not find a hostess, no server at anytime seemed to know anything about anything. Truly quite ridiculous for a property of this caliber. This place has really went downhill. I miss the old front area. It's really bleak now. The rooms: lighting horrible, air conditioner from 1982 is noisy, we just tried to leave the hotel as much as possible. Needless to say we will not be back. Thank you La Valencia for destroying yourself. Not sure where we will stay in the future. When we decide to stay in La jolla again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mariano R

Dear Guest -
Naturally we strive for excellent reviews so your comments are indeed disappointing. Our team strives to ensure that our guests received attentive service throughout there stay which includes making any necessary efforts to address concerns or needs when we have the opportunity. I apologize if our restaurant staff were not attentive - that is not acceptable to us. I am also sorry that the thoughtful and diligent renovation of THE MED was not to your liking. For your reference we did retain and restore the rooms original period piece wrought iron chandeliers so lighting has not changed. Our guests rooms were all renovated between 2012 - 2013, the first time in the hotels history that all rooms were renovated in one period.
I am truly sorry that your experience did not earn us an excellent score but distressed that your impressions on the guest room & MED décor as well as hostess issues results in as terrible rating - did you let any of our staff know of your concerns?
We will continue to work hard to earn the business of every guest and will consider ways to make your review a beneficial training opportunity.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our room was lovely! It included an attractive sitting area with sofa ,coffee table etc. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens were really nice.
The bathtub was large, spa like, and jetted for ultimate relaxation.
The view from our room overlooked the beautiful pool area and behind that the ocean. It was truly breathtaking!.
The staff were always helpful and very friendly.
The food was delicious, we ate there twice. Also, many other restaurants and clubs were nearby.
For a special occasion it is a real treat!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room with a balcony. Also you will be accommodated if you ask for a refrigera...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hapi2014

Dear Anniversary Guest -
Many thanks for the great kudos and for sharing your experience with others. We recognize that San Diego has many hotel options to select from and honored that La V continues to be the first choice for many over and over and over again. Anniversaries celebrations come every year and La V will be here to help you celebrate!
Ciao,

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This lovely hotel seems to have a great personality of its own: charming, stylish and friendly! It's definitely upscale, so I found the service to be on par with the Four Seasons, but certainly a bit less formal. My room was cozy (yes, small), and clean and it featured an amazing terrace overlooking the ocean that was probably as large as my room -- with two lounge chairs and a table with two chairs, also. I spent a lot of time on the terrace!
I suggest asking some questions when you book a room, because it's an older hotel and they have a lot of different types of rooms and options.
It's right in the middle of town, so even if you are not staying here, I suggest going to the lounge for a drink or the restaurant -- they both feature such gorgeous views of the ocean and La Jolla cove, that you might not want to leave. Their famous cocktail, The Pink Lady is light & refreshing!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Stylish & Seasoned Guest -
We are thrilled to be recognized in the same service category of Four Seasons; thank you. Our goal is to craft a personable and genuine hotel experience a la Southern California - we are so pleased it resonated with you.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience - we are most grateful to have such wonderful guests.
Cheers,

Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!