“Classy, intimate, beautifully incongruent to "New" La Jolla”
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 25 July 2014

A landmark to La Jolla and to the incalculable scale of an ocean view hotel imagined for the very lucky and the privileged. Called The Pink Lady in celebration of its hue and iconoclastic airs, comfort is everywhere from the outdoor gardens to the balcony bar. Old money built La Valencia but money shouldn't be a barrier to anyone wishing for a distinctive stay by La Jolla cove. Having a wedding at La Valencia takes on timeless powers and we had that honor sixteen years ago. Visiting La Valencia for a meal or for a stay returns the pleasures of youth and sophistication. Of course there are more modern establishments but elegance cannot be engineered.

Room Tip: Higher up is desirable and you pay more for full ocean views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allan H
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear La Jolla Guest -
Your comments and review on La V are exceptional - thank you. Our legacy is grand but more importantly our plans for our future are grander - we wish to ensure that all are welcome and that La V remains accessible. With 3 rooms types (Vintage, Classic and Villa or small, medium and large), we do feel there are options for almost everyone. It is very important to us that the charm and grace and playfulness of La V is a sought after experience for all -
Thank you!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Hotel and staff are top notch. Great rooms and view, wonderful concierge, and many restaurants withing walking distance. Pool area was beautiful and a perfect home base for exploring La Jolla and SD. Old school charm with modern amenities and class.

1  Thank lajollatraveler2014

Dear Pasadena Guest -
We love the term top notch - thank you. With many hotels to choose from, we greatly value our guests decision to stay at La V and I am especially pleased that we delivered for your stay.
Best regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Gorgeous views, wonderful room! I know the bathroom was a bit teeny but we loved the room! We had just come from a meeting at a hotel in Mission Beach that was full of screaming children and this was a relaxing treat! Excellent restaurant and room service. Friendly staff!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room higher up, you won't be disappointed. The lobby (street level) is at...

Dear AZ Guest -
Thank you very much for sharing your praise of La V. I appreciate the photos you posted of your room - you have our Vintage rooms, cozy and yes - intimate bathrooms (the views from upper floors are wonderful). We do offer 2 other room types with Classic room or Villa for indulgence. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Ciao -

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at La Valencia 20 years ago, and it was a magical time for me and my then boyfriend, now husband. Fast forward to yesterday...my Goddaughter is on vacation in SoCal and she took my advice and booked a night at LaV. This trip for her is poignant in that 1 month ago, her mother, my best friend. passed away at age 57 from Glioblastoma - a deadly brain tumor. 3.5 months from Dx to her passing. My Goddaughter needs and deserves some beauty, peace and joy. So....once I found out that she was indeed staying there, I went to work to see if there was anything I could, based on availability of course, to make her stay there even more special. I was NOT disappointed. In-house reservations staff member, Elvia, worked with me to ensure that my GD had the best room possible, and then Concierge Bree, helped me to send a bottle of wine (on the house...btw!!) to my GD's room for her arrival. Their dedication and passion to ensuring that my GD was well taken care of was top notch, and to me, the signs of a well managed team and property. I can't say thank you enough to Bree and Elvia....they certainly did not have to go above and beyond for me, but they took my requests and ran with them! This is the kind of customer care that ensures that I will be booking at La Valencia as soon as I find a reason...or not...to be in La Jolla! Thank you SO much, Bree, Elvia and la Valencia!!

1  Thank Amy A

Dear Amazing!
WOW - we really appreciate the kudos on our services and our team especially Bree and Elvia - thank you. Team La V is so honored to have such wonderful guests - that makes creating great service comes easy. Thank you again for sharing your comments and please know that we are ready for your return.
Cheers,

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were guests at La Valencia from July 14-16, 2014. Our reservations were booked over the phone, not on the internet. WE stayed in an oceanfront villa (#12) which has a fireplace, balcony, jacuzzi tub, and the best shower we've ever experienced. There is a rain head as well as a forceful adjustable shower head.

The location can't be beat. You don't even need a car. Our friends who live locally came over and couldn't believe how terrific it was and said it will be their #1 recommendation to visiting family and friends.

The staff from check-in to valet to housekeeping were friendly and attentive. The grounds, common area and room were immaculate.

Nearly forgot to mention the champagne and beautiful & delicious chocolate dipped strawberries with a lovely, personalized anniversary greeting.

We WILL be back!

Room Tip: Adored the ocean front room. However, if the sound of seagulls or children at play in the park acro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Happiness ++++
We love you and love your friends for believing that La V is #1 - that is a honor we respect and are humbled by - thank you.I am happy that your villa experience was enjoyable and yes, agree that seagulls and children in Scripps Park can sometimes be part of package but I am glad the privacy and luxury trappings of the accommodations balanced the mix.
Thank you again - we hope to see you back at La V soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Although it's a bit pricey, the quality of the rooms and how beautiful the hotel was made us feel it was really worth it.

The location is superb-easy access to the beach and to the shops/restaurants, valet parking (although it's quite pricey), beautiful pool with spectacular views of the sea.

Loved it here and would definitely go back in the future!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Beautiful Guest -
BRAVO and thank you from a grateful and gracious team; we are so pleased that your stay and hotel experience earned us a 5 star review. We hope to see you back again and we will continue to work hard to earn your loyalty.
Best regards,

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend for a little getaway. Rooms still dated the new bar area looks nice and what they have done with the outside balcony is cool. Unfortunately that is where the changes for the good stop. The fine dining restaurant... cheaply done poor lighting, really mediocre food. We were here earlier this year the room was just as ugly but at least the food was good. Service: nobody anywhere. Could not find a hostess, no server at anytime seemed to know anything about anything. Truly quite ridiculous for a property of this caliber. This place has really went downhill. I miss the old front area. It's really bleak now. The rooms: lighting horrible, air conditioner from 1982 is noisy, we just tried to leave the hotel as much as possible. Needless to say we will not be back. Thank you La Valencia for destroying yourself. Not sure where we will stay in the future. When we decide to stay in La jolla again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mariano R

Dear Guest -
Naturally we strive for excellent reviews so your comments are indeed disappointing. Our team strives to ensure that our guests received attentive service throughout there stay which includes making any necessary efforts to address concerns or needs when we have the opportunity. I apologize if our restaurant staff were not attentive - that is not acceptable to us. I am also sorry that the thoughtful and diligent renovation of THE MED was not to your liking. For your reference we did retain and restore the rooms original period piece wrought iron chandeliers so lighting has not changed. Our guests rooms were all renovated between 2012 - 2013, the first time in the hotels history that all rooms were renovated in one period.
I am truly sorry that your experience did not earn us an excellent score but distressed that your impressions on the guest room & MED décor as well as hostess issues results in as terrible rating - did you let any of our staff know of your concerns?
We will continue to work hard to earn the business of every guest and will consider ways to make your review a beneficial training opportunity.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
#6 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!