“Beautiful Hotel with Amazing Sea Views”
Review of La Valencia Hotel

La Valencia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Beautiful Hotel with Amazing Sea Views”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Had a great 5 night stay here. The rooms weren't huge but big enough and perfectly comfortable. All staff at the hotel, be it housekeeping, restaurants, valet or reception were very helpful and hospitable.

Ate in both the cafe and main restaurant based at the hotel - both were delicious; the latter offering gorgeous views of the sunset from the outside dining terrace!

Just be prepared for noisy seagulls if you're a light sleeper :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jo C
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear UK Guest -
Thank you for spending 5 days at our enchanting hotel. I am particularly pleased to see your favorable comments on our staff services as well as our dining - Café la Rue and THE MED do offer a nice choice of casual vs. more traditional dining options. We hope to see you again when you travel across the pond.
Ciao -
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My mom, sister and I visited La Jolla to celebrate by sister's 30th birthday. La Valencia was amazing! LaV is the gorgeous, prime location, unbeatable amenities and super friendly, knowledgeable and energetic staff. We are all looking forward to our next stay at LaV

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leah W
Dear Best Guest -
We're delighted that you choose La V to celebrate a family birthday - we LOVE celebrations! It is our hope that La V becomes an annual habit for fun and festivities. See you for your sisters 31st next year!
Cheers,
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

A landmark to La Jolla and to the incalculable scale of an ocean view hotel imagined for the very lucky and the privileged. Called The Pink Lady in celebration of its hue and iconoclastic airs, comfort is everywhere from the outdoor gardens to the balcony bar. Old money built La Valencia but money shouldn't be a barrier to anyone wishing for a distinctive stay by La Jolla cove. Having a wedding at La Valencia takes on timeless powers and we had that honor sixteen years ago. Visiting La Valencia for a meal or for a stay returns the pleasures of youth and sophistication. Of course there are more modern establishments but elegance cannot be engineered.

Room Tip: Higher up is desirable and you pay more for full ocean views.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allan H
Dear La Jolla Guest -
Your comments and review on La V are exceptional - thank you. Our legacy is grand but more importantly our plans for our future are grander - we wish to ensure that all are welcome and that La V remains accessible. With 3 rooms types (Vintage, Classic and Villa or small, medium and large), we do feel there are options for almost everyone. It is very important to us that the charm and grace and playfulness of La V is a sought after experience for all -
Thank you!
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Hotel and staff are top notch. Great rooms and view, wonderful concierge, and many restaurants withing walking distance. Pool area was beautiful and a perfect home base for exploring La Jolla and SD. Old school charm with modern amenities and class.

1 Thank lajollatraveler2014
Dear Pasadena Guest -
We love the term top notch - thank you. With many hotels to choose from, we greatly value our guests decision to stay at La V and I am especially pleased that we delivered for your stay.
Best regards,
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Gorgeous views, wonderful room! I know the bathroom was a bit teeny but we loved the room! We had just come from a meeting at a hotel in Mission Beach that was full of screaming children and this was a relaxing treat! Excellent restaurant and room service. Friendly staff!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room higher up, you won't be disappointed. The lobby (street level) is at...
Dear AZ Guest -
Thank you very much for sharing your praise of La V. I appreciate the photos you posted of your room - you have our Vintage rooms, cozy and yes - intimate bathrooms (the views from upper floors are wonderful). We do offer 2 other room types with Classic room or Villa for indulgence. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Ciao -
Bronxville, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed at La Valencia 20 years ago, and it was a magical time for me and my then boyfriend, now husband. Fast forward to yesterday...my Goddaughter is on vacation in SoCal and she took my advice and booked a night at LaV. This trip for her is poignant in that 1 month ago, her mother, my best friend. passed away at age 57 from Glioblastoma - a deadly brain tumor. 3.5 months from Dx to her passing. My Goddaughter needs and deserves some beauty, peace and joy. So....once I found out that she was indeed staying there, I went to work to see if there was anything I could, based on availability of course, to make her stay there even more special. I was NOT disappointed. In-house reservations staff member, Elvia, worked with me to ensure that my GD had the best room possible, and then Concierge Bree, helped me to send a bottle of wine (on the house...btw!!) to my GD's room for her arrival. Their dedication and passion to ensuring that my GD was well taken care of was top notch, and to me, the signs of a well managed team and property. I can't say thank you enough to Bree and Elvia....they certainly did not have to go above and beyond for me, but they took my requests and ran with them! This is the kind of customer care that ensures that I will be booking at La Valencia as soon as I find a reason...or not...to be in La Jolla! Thank you SO much, Bree, Elvia and la Valencia!!

1 Thank Amy A
Dear Amazing!
WOW - we really appreciate the kudos on our services and our team especially Bree and Elvia - thank you. Team La V is so honored to have such wonderful guests - that makes creating great service comes easy. Thank you again for sharing your comments and please know that we are ready for your return.
Cheers,
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were guests at La Valencia from July 14-16, 2014. Our reservations were booked over the phone, not on the internet. WE stayed in an oceanfront villa (#12) which has a fireplace, balcony, jacuzzi tub, and the best shower we've ever experienced. There is a rain head as well as a forceful adjustable shower head.

The location can't be beat. You don't even need a car. Our friends who live locally came over and couldn't believe how terrific it was and said it will be their #1 recommendation to visiting family and friends.

The staff from check-in to valet to housekeeping were friendly and attentive. The grounds, common area and room were immaculate.

Nearly forgot to mention the champagne and beautiful & delicious chocolate dipped strawberries with a lovely, personalized anniversary greeting.

We WILL be back!

Room Tip: Adored the ocean front room. However, if the sound of seagulls or children at play in the park acro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
SoCalSunsoul, General Manager at La Valencia Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Happiness ++++
We love you and love your friends for believing that La V is #1 - that is a honor we respect and are humbled by - thank you.I am happy that your villa experience was enjoyable and yes, agree that seagulls and children in Scripps Park can sometimes be part of package but I am glad the privacy and luxury trappings of the accommodations balanced the mix.
Thank you again - we hope to see you back at La V soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 278 in San Diego
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#8 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to La Valencia Hotel? Share your experiences!