“Close to everything yet away from the madness”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Phoenix
“Close to everything yet away from the madness”
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Been coming to San Diego for years and have always stayed at suite hotels. Chose this hotel because the price was more affordable. We were concerned that it would be run down, but were pleasantly surprised at the updated rooms and lobby. The location is fantastic. It is right off the 5, there are many restaurants and shops near by. Rooms are a little small, but manageable. We even had breakfast included in the price of the room. It was great to go to breakfast and be waited on and not have to fight for a place in line at a buffet. Janet was wonderful every morning that we were here. We will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2011
Hello eaglefn20,

I am so pleased to read your comments about your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our location and room renovations as well as the value of our rates! I am also so happy to pass along your compliments to Janet at Humphreys, we love her! I hope to see you on a future stay.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Walnut, California
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I travel to San Diego often due to business at UC San Diego hospital. The usual hotel I stay at was booked. I selected this hotel based on the comparable price. I viewed the photos online and was impressed since Sheratons are not as good as other chains. Upon arrival, I was disappointed since the online photos did not depict the actual hotel. All rooms must be entered from the outside, apart from the lobby. The rooms are grouped in sections, but since you must walk around at night, it is not safe. Upon entering the floor (with your room key), the hallway was very old. Inside the room, it was dark and the furniture and decor was not new as displayed in the photos. Bathrooms are very small. Not enough lighting in the room. I do not intend on returning here.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Hello DannyV888,

Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton La Jolla. I do appreciate you taking the time to send your comments about your experience with us. It is important for our guests to know that our accommodations fit a tropical resort layout more than a high rise hotel since our guest rooms are located in five different buildings that encircle a garden courtyard area with koi ponds and a swimming pool.

We do also feature various room types; Traditional, Deluxe, Executive, and Suites which feature different amenities, square footage, and views. All of our room descriptions and photos are available on our hotel website and are current with our most recent renovations. I apologize if you may have been under a different impression for what your exact room would look like based on seeing an alternate room type pictured online. I hope that you may give us another chance to book you with a room type that will delight you on a future stay. I am happy to take care of any future reservations personally for you.

Rome
Reviewed 12 March 2011

When I went to the restaurant, I was discouraged from using my laptop at the table. The neighboring table was engaged in sex talk. I asked for an alternate table, but despite a nearly empty restaurant, I was told that the waiter could not accommodate it at that time. The bar & grill had karaoke night which was distracting and no tables were free.

I asked the front desk for a eating destination in walking distance and was informed that none were available, but a little self exploration revealed two pizza places and a mexican place in half a block!

Perhaps you can sleep here, but don't expect much else.

Hello IggyB,

I apologize for your frustration during your recent stay with us. I know that our restaurant staff does try to accommodate every guest request, and I'm sorry if we did not completely understand your needs. My front desk staff is always happy to provide suggestions and they have maps readily available to the various eateries within walking distance of the hotel, so it sounds like there may have been a disconnect when you spoke to the front desk agent. Again, I do apologize for your frustrations and I hope you will give us a chance to give you a true Sheraton experience with us on a future stay.

Raleigh
Reviewed 7 March 2011

I stayed in room 821 from 2/28 through 3/2. The bathroom door design is incredibly poorly done. Major pain in the neck accessing both the toilet and bathtub. I travel quite a bit and stay in a fair number of hotels. I usually try to stay in Hilton Garden Inns because their mattresses are very good; never have any issues with backpain. Unfortunately, after one night on your mattress my back was spasming and hurting; somehow your mattress does not do well with my back. Staff was very friendly; restaurant was above average; overall facility was nice, but given your bathroom design and my problems with your mattress I will very likely select another hotel in the future, even if that means paying a little more.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Hello ethernic123,

I appreciate you taking the time the post your comments about your recent stay. While I am very pleased to hear that our staff provided their usual friendly service and that you enjoyed our restaurant and grounds, I am sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as comfortable as you would have liked. We feature the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds, which are normally found to be very cozy, but please know that we are happy to provide extra cushioning should our guests find the mattress too firm and we will certainly place bed boards for additional support under the mattress should our guests find the mattress too soft. I hope that your travels may bring you to us again, and please feel free to contact the hotel directly so we may ensure that your accommodations are as comfortable as possible!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We stay here for a Conference from UCSD. The location was the reason to select.
We just had a "white night" in this place due to the very old AC that makes loud sound very 20 minutes. No than that, the noise of blowing air (?) from parking lot at 6:00AM Sunday seems not very typical. I am going to ask for another room today, otherwise, I would rather waste my money on it to look for another hotel nearby.

EasyMindTraveler,

I am sad to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. From your review, it sounds like you were going to request a room change, which we are always happy to accommodate to the very best of our ability. I hope you gave us the opportunity to provide you with a guest room that did not have any excessive noise distruptions, and please know that we do appreciate when our guests can alert us to any issues with our in-room amenities such as the air conditioning unit so that we may better maintain these offerings. I would be happy to personally assist with any accommodation needs for you should your travels bring you back to La Jolla, and we would welcome to opportunity to show you an amazing Sheraton La Jolla experience!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 5 March 2011

i am a multi-year spg platinum traveller and i see good and not so good hotels. this was the worst sheraton i've seen in years. tired, dark, poor furnishings, overpriced parking and at $200 for the night the biggest con i've seen in years.

i checked in. i saw the room. i drove to the hilton on the torrey pines golf course which was superior in every way...and it was cheaper too. i like myself too much to stay at the sheraton la jolla and the $200 bill was simply a sunk cost.

do yourself a favour and do not stay here

1 Thank moxhey
Hello moxhey,

I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your guest room. While we certainly cannot ensure that each guest will absolutely love our accommodations, please know that our staff will make every attempt possible to make sure your guest room is comfortable and relaxing and I wish we would have had the opportunity to provide you with a fantastic stay and wonderful service. It sounds like you had a successful trip to La Jolla, and I do apologize that our accommodations were not what you were looking for.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I went to San Diego for a conference/my first time in town. The hotel was very conveniently located near UCSD, and the Children's Pool is an easy 10-15 minute drive away. There is also great food in downtown La Jolla, which is very trendy and filled with great options. The staff I checked in with was very helpful and welcoming. I even got a room upgrade for free just for being a Starwood Guest member. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the room was very spacious. Bonus: free wifi and there is also plenty of street parking available so you don't have to pay the $10/day for the lot. It's also a very safe neighborhood - I would definitely stay there again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business