“La Jollalot of Praise”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Great room, very clean with courtyard garden view, conveniently close to pool, as are all rooms, but not too close. Front desk always helpful and courteous. Have stayed here several times, and it has always been a most pleasant experience. Poolside food service is terrific, as is the dining room for breakfast and dinner; it's conveniently located just beyond the front desk to the far left.

No need to spend twice as much for a musty hotel room down by the La Jolla shoreline, as I've done that as well. I'm much happier staying here, as the sky is bluer and sunnier due to the low lying clouds one encounters along the coast.

Room Tip: Have stayed in several locales within the complex, the best rooms by far are beyond the far side of...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

From our first contact to the final morning, this was a great hotel. The service was friendly and had lots of accurate, helpful information. The location of the hotel was so convenient. Easy access to the freeway, close to campus and the beach, near shopping and restaurants. The rooms had modern appointments and were wonderfully comfortable. There is a pool, hot tub and a good workout room. But, really, the tropical gardens make the place. Lush, tall palms, a koi pond, birds. An quiet oasis in the center of La Jolla.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We recently stayed 6 days at this hotel on vacation. Found the room very clean. Staff was very friendly and the restaurant (Humphrey's) was some of the best food we had during our stay. The location is perfect, near several restaurants and shopping (within walking distance). The hotel was very busy over the weekend during our stay and that did not effect the great customer service. We will return and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: In room coffee is Starbucks, good cup of coffee without having to leave the room, priceless!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I have stayed here several times and always enjoyed it. However, this last trip was a bit disappointing. Check in process was ok, room was not ready when I first checked in and had to come back a second time and go through the entire check in process ( my experience is that most hotels will allow you to check in and only have to come by to pick up the keys). Room was fine, the one thing that annoyed me was that on Sunday morning I ran a half marathon and upon returning to the hotel, we decided to walk through the lounge. It was about 10:40 and there were muffins, bagels, etc.. ( nothing fancy they all looked store bought) and I was told by the "hostes" that I coudn't have a muffin because the lounge closed at 10:30. Really??, I am a platinum (life time) SPG member and she is not going to let me have a (probably stale) muffin because I arrived 10 minutes after the official close date.... Wow, so much for customer service. ( plus what did they do with all the left over food.. it was all unwrapped, I really hope they didn't repackage it for another day)..

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Hello JAM4Boys,

Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton La Jolla. I do apologize for the experience you had in our Club Lounge. I was able to speak with the manager of the Club Lounge and concierge team and she did have a review with her staff to ensure that they know that the scheduled food and beverage service times can be stretched, especially when they have not completed packing up and returning the unused items to the kitchen for disposal. This was certainly a mistake on our part and we do send our sincere apologies. I appreciate you bringing these comments to my attention so that we are able to give our staff a refresher like this to ensure an error does not occur again. I would welcome you to contact me directly if I can assist with any future accommodations, I know that our staff would very much appreciate having another opportunity to show the very best of the Sheraton La Jolla.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed at this property for one night and found it to be excellent. We now consider it a real "find". The $10 to park seemed cheap compared to the $24 we paid in downtown San Diego. The only problem was that the Club Room did not seem to be opertional. We stayed on a Saturday night and concluded maybe it only is open during the week. We would be interested to know what is happening with that. We realized the gal who checked us in mentioned the gym but no mention of the Club Room.
We enjoyed our meals in the restaurant but woudl have liked to try the Club Room.The popcorn in the room was a nice touch. We had no noise issues and we loved the plantation shutters. The bed was great. We will be back and we will check directly with the hotel for specials.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Hello wOrldTrav39,

Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton La Jolla and for sending your comments. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are pleased to feature the Sheraton Club Lounge which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is available for our Platinum SPG members and guests that book directly into a Club Level Room. While the Club Lounge is open 24 hours, there are special times that we offer concierge and refreshment services. Breakfast service is available between 7-9:30am Monday-Friday and between 7:30-10:30am Saturday-Sunday. We also serve appetizers and beverages daily from 5-8pm. During these times we have a Club Lounge Concierge staffed to assist with the food and beverage service and any other assistance you may need. I would be happy to look into your particular reservation to verify if you were eligible for Club Access during your stay, so please feel free to contact me at anytime at the email address below. Again, thank you for sending your comments and we will look forward to welcoming you on a future visit.

Kate Ruskofsky
Revenue Manager
kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com

Reviewed 10 February 2012

This hotel has provided me great service and shelter each time I travel to UC San Diego (which is literally across the street from this hotel). This time, the bell captain was fantastic and arranged rides to the campus and the airport without me asking. The rooms are very nice and clean. The work out facility was FANTASTIC. When I had HVAC difficulties, Armando was so polite and nice (I didn't know how to work the system).

The restaurant was lovely and for quite a bargain for the taxpayers of California (50% off).

Room Tip: Join the hotel club. The rooms are in a better place.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Just returned from a great stay at The Sheraton La Jolla. I too read many of the reviews prior to our visit and as most of us realize the really negative reviews are generally from people looking to get something for nothing or just plain impossible to please. We've all seen them in action. Complaining about the size of the umbrella? Really? No, you wouldn't see it during a rain storm on the PGA tour (i.e. it is not a golf umbrella) but it is a very fine, very normal sized umbrella. I used the public computers in the lobby for hours and hours and never had any problem, they were fast and never went down, very dependable. My wife, 17 year old daughter and I stayed in a junior suite at the farthest point from the lobby on the third floor, room 1115 for five nights. Yes, it is the closest room to the highway (5) and NO - the highway noise was not horrible. I would guess we were 175 yards or so from the highway but some reviewers make it sound like it is adjacent to the hotel - it is not. Can you hear traffic - sure - is their an occasional loud semi or motorcycle - sure - but it is not anything out of the ordinary loud. Someone wrote about the incredibly long walk from their room to the lobby so I timed it. By the way, our room was as far from the lobby as you could get. At a VERY leisurely pace it took less than 2 1/2 minutes, a more normal pace would get you from the third floor of the E building to the lobby in under 2 minutes easily. Also, the walk is very pleasant passing through very well maintained grounds and by the jacuzzi, pool, water feature, etc. The housekeeping staff truly did a spectacular job on our room each and every day without exception. I'm pretty picky about cleanliness and so is the housekeeping staff at this hotel. I thought the bed was extremely comfortable. For the people who are harping about the parking fee, if your room charge was $10 more per night would that make you want to go somewhere else? So, I actually had a second junior suite for two nights to accommodate my son and daughter in law, and paid $129 plus $10 per night parking - if they charged $139 for the room the parking fee would have just been blended into the room rate and if I owned the hotel that is exactly what I would do, the hotel would make more money and eliminate having to listen to people whine about it. We never ate at the restaurant as the other son I was visiting in S.D. is a chef. We used the refrigerator in the room for breakfast foods, fruits, vegetables, etc., very nice of the hotel to add this touch. The television(s) in our room both worked fine the little we used them with no issues with the remotes. The front desk staff; lounge staff; security; grounds; maintenance and housekeeping staff were all very pleasant and helpful. Oh yes - the wooden slatted window shades re privacy concerns. As I passed some rooms at night you could definitely see into the rooms. This is because the people did not close the slats. Rooms with the slats closed were provided complete privacy so - like any other window treatment - if you don't want people to see in - close the shade - seems simple enough. I can't remember the other petty things some reviewers were whining about but our stay was just fine with no issues at all. Very short stroll to Whole Foods; CVS; a really good coffee cafe; a FANTASTIC cup cake place - Sprinkle's - I think. The Sheraton La Jolla is NOT The Ritz - nor do they charge anywhere near what any Ritz charges - it is a fine hotel run by fine people doing their best to make their guests happy and comfortable. If you have an issue with a hotel or restaurant or whatever - address it there and then. Don't vent anonymously - how is that helpful to anyone?

Room Tip: E Building was great - I did not enter any of the other buildings but at check-in I was told that th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family