“Good stay overall” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Jose
“Good stay overall”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2008

Just came back from a 4 night stay at the Sheraton La Jolla. I picked it mostly because of the very reasonable pre-paid rate I got through the hotel website ($167/night) and because it seemed like it would be clean since it was recently remodeled. It is right off I-5, but you really don't hear much noise. It is not within walking distance to downtown La Jolla.
We got regular doubles room upstairs. The room was very clean, and had some remodeling. I did appreciate the refrigerator, the microwave, and Starbucks coffee in the room. There is also free wireless wi-fi. We only ordered breakfast room service one morning, and it was on time and pretty good. We did not use the pool, or any of the other on-site ammenities, so I can't comment on those. I did also like the free parking.
The hotel looks more like an apartment buildings, but I prefer that sometimes to the high rise hotels.
What I didn't like about the hotel was mainly the size of the room, and the bathroom. I think that it just felt smaller because of the furnishings or colors they chose for the inside as well.
I would stay here again only if I got a great deal, and if I could afford a bigger room. It is a 3 star hotel, but a very decent, clean one. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The value
  • Disliked — The size of the room/bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank CaroSanJose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SanAntonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

I read many reviews of this hotel and they were quite helpful as my family (wife, 2 kids 8 and 13) planned our vacation. All the nice things about this hotel; cleanliness, great staff, nice grounds, etc. are right on the money. Place was clean, pretty, the staff was absolutely super. What I want other travelers to note is that this hotel is not near any vacation attractions except to commute by car. Not that that is a bad thing, but when you go down to La Jolla to walk around and shop and go to the cove, and snorkel, and go to the beach and surf, etc. you will see many, many other properties that are within walking distance to some, if not all of these places. The Sheraton is at least a 5 minute drive from all of them. Great place for those doing business in the La Jolla/Torrey Pines area, but if your family likes to walk around the surf village or the high end shops, or likes a spontaneous trip to the cove to snorkel, this is not the place for you unless you want to pack up the car and seek out hard to find parking on every adventure.

• Liked — clean and orderly
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

II was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Although I had read some of the negative reviews of this hotel I decided to take the chance and I am very glad I did.

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in May 2008 with my wife and children. As a Starwood platinum I was upgraded to a very nice junior suite and given access to the club lounge. The room was large and nicely appointed. The extra room is great if you have kids plus there is a kitchenette that saves you from having to eat every meal out.

One of the highlights of the hotel is the staff. Everyone is very friendly, from the front desk to the maids. The staff at the club lounge are exceptional and very willing to go out of their way for you.

The kids loved the pool and the surrounding grounds. Everything is kept very well maintained. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2008

We took a last minute trip to the San Diego area and were very happy with our stay at the La Jolla Sheraton. We usually stay at 4 or 5-star hotels, so didn't have high expectations of a 3-star. We found that this is a very nice 3-star hotel. We got a great rate on the Starwood website on a basic room, and were very happy when they gave us an upgrade to a courtyard-facing room when we checked in.
As long as you know what to expect, I think you will be very satisfied. Don't expect a luxury property. It actually looks more like a well-maintained, slightly older apartment complex with 2-story buildings and a pool and garden courtyard in the center. You check in at the front lobby and then drive to park near your room. Having the car near the room ended up being really convenient. I noticed some buildings have rooms with drapes and some have rooms with wood plantation shutters (I believe the ones with shutters are the nicer rooms.) We had a room with drapes in bldg B, but it was very nicely done and current. The beds were comfortable with lots of pillows and "4-star feeling" bedding. The bathrobes are just basic plain terrycloth, but were a pleasant little convenience I didn't expect from a 3-star. We were traveling with our small children, so the in-room microwave and fridge were tremendously useful to keep milk and juice cold and for heating up leftovers in the room. The bathrooms are on the small side, but not as horribly small as some others have posted. It's about the size of an apartment bathroom, and perfectly adequate. The staff is exceptional, and is truly as friendly and helpful as everyone has said in the other reviews. We could really tell that they put an emphasis on excellent customer service.
The location is very convenient for hopping on the freeway, and there are plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, banks and shops right next door. Since eating out with small children is challenging, we would pick up breakfast at Whole Foods next door, and bring it back to the comfort of the room.
I only had 2 complaints: #1. They don't have a safe in the room, so we had to pack up all the valuables (laptop, cameras, ipods, etc.) every time we left the room. #2. Our dinner at the hotel restaurant, Humphrey's, was disappointing. We love asian-fusion cuisine, so ordered many of the fusion style dishes which sounded fabulous on the menu, but when they came out, they just didn't taste good. The flavors were off, and often too salty. We had to send our entrees back, and ended up deciding to go with a safe filet mignon. The "kids' meals" were very nice with high quality items and fresh fruit, and were reasonably priced.
Overall, the stay was very enjoyable, and I would recommend staying here.

• Liked — Staff and service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank travelbella1000
Munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

We just spend a night in the Sheraton. It´s very conveniently located and the food store in the mall nearby is really exceptional. The service at the reception was very good and all people on the premises very friendly. The price they could give us as a drop-in was not as good as the internet price on the hotel webpage therefore we booked quasi in the internet standing at the reception. We had a room facing the garden which was very quiet. The rooms facing the other directions will probably be a lot noisier as the highway is very close by. The bathroom is very small but we didn´t mind. The gardens are very nice, reminded us more of Hawaii than San Diego. We would stay there again but only in a room facing the garden.

• Liked — the garden
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ***-Irene
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2008

We were traveling to San Diego at the last minute and while many properties were booked, we were able to get a room at the Sheraton La Jolla. While making the reservation online, I was not able to add any comments about which room type we would prefer so I called central reservations. She was supposed to email a confirmation to me and I never recceived it and am not sure my preferences were noted.
Once we arrived at the hotel, the excellent service began with check-in. Brittany went out of her way to find a room to my liking - ground floor (we were traveling with our dog) king facing the gardens/pool.
We spent some time at the pool and the gardens and grounds are beautiful as other reviewers have noted. The food selections at the pool are limited so we got some food to go at Rock Bottom right down the road.
I called the hotel directly before booking the room to see if there were any extra fees for internet, parking, resort, etc and was told 'Not Yet'. We were not charged any additional fees but a letter in the room said there is a daily fee for internet access in the room so it seems some fees may soon be added.
The room was nicely decorated and my only wish was that the bathroom was larger. It also would have been nice to have a patio rather than window since we were on the ground floor facing the gardens and pool.
I would definitely stay here again for the service. Almost everyone we ran into went out of their way to accomodate our requests.

• Liked — Gardens and pool area.
  • Disliked — Small bathroom and no patio/balcony
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandid
Issaquah,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2008

this was the second time i've stayed here; and again, great. even though my room wasnt ready when i got here, they gave me a key to hang out by the pool, and it all worked out. really nice, peaceful place, nice pool and garden area, and great location in la jolla. the staff goes out of their way to accomodate.

Stayed April 2008