“A Lovely Weekend Stay!”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Los Angeles, California
“A Lovely Weekend Stay!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Despite some of the negative comments posted here, we chose this hotel for its' proximity to a wedding reception restaurant. I'm happy to report that my mom and I were given a lovely, large, accessible (my mom has difficulty walking long distances) room on the first floor of building "B". It was very clean and steps from the parking lot with a large flat screen. The bathroom was a good size and the shower was a perfect walk in type. The beds were comfy with lots of pillows and the linen was spotless.

Our room overlooked the parking lot, but was still relatively quiet - it's not the hotels fault that some people can be inconsiderate. i.e., honking their horns multiple times in the middle of the night. Fortunately that was the only noise we heard since we found the rooms very quiet - never even heard the neighbors T.V.

The hotel staff was professional, kind and helpful, they even called a few hours after we checked in to see if everything was alright and if we needed anything. We thought that was a really nice touch!!

As has been mentioned, the hotel is walking distance from two shopping areas; the closest not only has a Whole Foods, it has a Sprinkles!! Didn't get to use the on-site bar or restaurant so can't comment.

The only reason I did not give an excellent rating (which overall they really deserve) was due to the $10 per night parking fee. Really, this is California and most people drive short distances (we drove down from Los Angeles). To charge any fee for parking is ridiculous. If you really need the $10 add it to the price of the room. Since we got a great deal on the rate, it wasn't a problem, just an irritant.

The parking fee notwithstanding, we would definitely stay here again next time we visit La Jolla.

Room Tip: Although we found the rooms next to the parking lot fairly quiet, you should ask for a room facing t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Hello CA_Traveler-7,

Thank you for sending in your comments regarding your recent stay. I was happy to read that you found your guest room well-appointed, the staff helpful, and the location convenient during your visit. We certainly do appreciate your comments regarding the parking fee; please know that we do our best to keep this cost as low as possible and in fact charge less than half that the other hotels in our general area charge for parking. We hope that you will remember us on future visits to La Jolla.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have stayed at hotels that are fancier wherein their staff were not able to match the exceptional level of service given by most staff members at this Sheraton. Other than one mistake where the bell person forgot to tell everyone else that he had my rental car keys before leaving his place, eveyone elses's performance was practically flawless. I usually feel stressed out at other hotels because often staff cannot remember or do not read the sign on the door that says please do not knock. All staff members did whatever magic it took so that no one knocked on my door. This may seem like something insignificant to you, but it is in the details that greatness is reflected. Here are some other details I really appreciated: When I checked in Christine actively listened to all of my requests. She did something that I do not remember anyone ever doing before: When the bellperson came to help me with my luggage, she asked to speak with him first so that she could fill him in on what my wishes were (which Rudy beautifuly respected). The next detail was that I called the hotel ahead of time to brainstorm how my stay could be smoother than usual. Veronica, the head of housekeeping was very welcoming and was graciously willing to honour all of my requests. Every day at one p.m. the housekeeping staff showed up promptly at my door, as planned-and every day when I returned my room was freshened and cleaned in a way that made me feel at ease when sinking into bed. Speaking of the bed, the sheets felt and smelled so crispy clean that I sunk into sleep
each night.....Rhonda and Catherine (aka Elizabeth) went above and beyond their conciergian responsibilities. For example, when the uncomfortable situation occured in which we were all looking for the misplaced keys, Rhonda actually came back in person. Her exemplary professionaism and dedication to her profession is much appreciated. In addition, Catherine, the other concierge made the coziest "nest" for me to get a bunch of work done in the club lounge. The food is both restaurants are surprisingly good, and the waitresses were awesome. Overall, hotels that have a higher star rating have much to learn from all of the staff at this hotel.

Room Tip: Call ahead and discuss how staff can meet your needs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hello 75amy,

Thank you very much for sending in your comments regarding your recent stay. I am so happy to hear that the staff went above and beyond to make your stay great. We hope that your travels may bring you to La Jolla in the future!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

UCSD is basically across the street but be aware that this is a big campus so may still walk a mile. Rooms are good, pool is nice, pleasant garden with waterfall fountain. Note that can walk out back of parking lot and get to mall with some restaurants and movie theater (2 malls in a row there). Parking only $10+some street parking available. Walk to black's beach is possible but far so for beach better off with car.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank neur14
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Hello neur14,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy that you found the hotel comfortable and convenient to UCSD. We hope that your travels will bring you to us again!

Galt, CA
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I asked for a quiet location and was given a room overlooking the "canyon," which means all the sound from I-5 was funneled to my room. Then the leaf blowers at the adjacent parking lot started at 6 a.m. Room was fine, but no one got any sleep (as I write this at 7 a.m.). Chose this hotel for its proximity to UCSD.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Hello Jeff H,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize that we were unable to accommodate your request this time. Please feel free to contact me directly in the future so we can make sure we book you straight away into a Garden View room to eliminate any noise disturbance. Thanks again for your feedback!

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
Sacramento
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The hotel is very convenience to the mall and UCSD There is a gate right off the parking lot which provide passage directly to the mall; so, one doesn't need to trek around to the front of the mall. You'll need your room key to come back through the gate, though. The room was well furnished and the beds were very comfortable.

On the downside, they gave me a room with a view of the parking lot, even though the hotel wasn't very full. The walls don't have much sound insulation. We were awaken in the at 3 AM by what sounded like cabinets closing (not slamming) from the adjoining room. This lasted for 1/2 hour - weird.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Hello John L,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that there was noise disturbance next to your guest room. While we are generally very happy to provide upgrades, the availability of upgrades would need to be looked at for the duration of your stay as oftentimes not all nights may be available. I would welcome you to contact me directly should you want to book a return visit and I would be happy to help select a room that will delight you. Thanks again for your comments and I will hope to hear from you soon.

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Came here for a weekend. Got a lovely renovated room on a Starwood Preferred Guest Room. Room was large, well furnished and quiet. All it was missing was an in-room safe. Hotel is situated in a lovely area near the university with 2 large shopping areas right behind hotel. Tons of restaurants close by or if you prefer a meal in your room, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Ralph's are a short stroll away.

What upset us was that our room was never cleaned promptly. We are early risers-out of of our room by 8. There are no tags available to request early housekeeping. On the first day, we came back at 3:30 to find staff just starting to clean. We went back to lovely pool area for another 30 minutes. By the way, hotel could upgrade pool towels - not much larger than a hand towel with the feel of coarse sandpaper. On the second day, we came back after 4 and cleaning had not even begun and staff at other end of hall. We decided just to get some towels and shampoo and clean the room ourselves!!!

Now I can understand the need to keep checking in customers happier but should there not be a system in place to give priority after those rooms have been cleaned to existing customers' asking for early cleaning? Wrecked what would otherwise have been a nice weekend stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Hello Dogswood,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. We do appreciate your concerns and are pleased to say that we are working to create a new system for guests to be able to request their preferred time for housekeeping service. I know this will go a long way in creating an enjoyable stay. Thanks again for your comments and we hope that you will stay with us again in the future!

Little Horwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I suspect when this Sheraton resort hotel was first built in the late '60's it was an absolutely top class hotel.

I understand the rooms are undergoing renovation, which is good to hear as the wall paper in our room was peeling off at the edges, the furniture was dated, the TV remote barely managed to change the poor television signals.

The bathrooms are very small.

The dated hotel bar was used for watching American Football and Karaoke in equal measure.

Parking had to be paid for - warning to future guests who park outside the hotel - there are zealous parking enforcement officer's looking to write a ticket!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Hello johnlmoore,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. Yes, you are absolutely correct that we are currently undergoing room renovations. I know that these changes will bring a welcomed refreshed look to our accommodations. We anticipate being finished by the end of the year and I hope that your travels may bring you back to see them!