“Very nice stay, accommodating staff”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
New Jersey
“Very nice stay, accommodating staff”
Reviewed 22 July 2008

What can I say about the Sheraton in La Jolla that hasn't been expressed in previous reviews? The staff is beyond nice and really go above and beyond for their guests. The hotel itself is very nice, even if the standard rooms are a little on the small side. The landscaping and garden are maintained very well. It wasn't difficult waking up in these surroundings every day!

Tip #1: If noise of the nearby freeway is a concern, request an interior room and you'll be fine.

Tip #2: The hotel restaurant, Humphrey's, has an excellent breakfast. Don't know about their dinners as we weren't in our room near meal time.

Tip#3: Watch for panhandlers at the nearby intersections and I-5 offramps near the hotel, primarily during rush hours.

• Liked — Location, atmosphere, reasonably priced
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2008

Either Starwood's quality has declined or this hotel should never be considered of Starwood caliber. My first clue was that my GPS still recognized this hotel as a Radisson. Its located right off the Fwy and major street, lot parking only, tiny bathroom with the door banging against the tub when you open it, tiny closet, noise of every hotel guest echos in room, and when the neighbor's shower turned on at 4:30 in the a.m. it was so loud I thought the pipes in my room had burst (seriously!).

Yes, the staff are very nice and helpful, and the room had lovely decorative touches, but it just felt like they put a bow on a pig.

In this beautiful town of La Jolla, I regret not staying at the Hyatt around the corner now that I experienced this Sheraton.

• Liked — I got Starwood points
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank colleen90405
San Diego
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I stayed at the Sheraton for the weekend with my boyfriend. We live in San Diego and wanted to have a "staycation." The staff was very helpful when I signed in. I needed wine glasses delivered to the room and the concierge called my room about a half hour later to be sure they were delivered. I also got a call from the room service to ask if I needed anything.

The room decor was nice; very modern looking (recently remodeled, i believe). There was a nice flat-screen tv along with a DVD player. The bathroom is a one-person only, as previous reviewers mentioned.

Our window faced the parking lot, but we were not bothered by noise at all. The air conditioner was on most of the time so that may have drowned any noise of car doors, etc. Also, I liked that I could park where I could look out the window and see my car. The parking lot is very well lit at night.

A lot of the hotels off La Jolla Village Dr. are right on the main street but the Sheraton is set back on a culdesac, which I liked.

La Jolla Cove and La Jolla Shores are about a 5-10 minute drive away. This is a good place to stay for a decent price while being close to the beach.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caligirl87
Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 July 2008

This was the worst hotel stay of my life. At 2am I woke up in a complete sweat with my sinus in lock up and my nose running like a faucet. My symptoms were exactly what I expect if placed in a room full of cats to which I am extremely allergic.

The AC was set to 67 degrees but the thermostat read 74 degrees. I concluded there must be contamination coming from the broken AC system so I went to the front desk to get another room. Tough luck, no more rooms. Tried sleeping in my car (never before) and find lot too noisy etc. Go back to front desk at 2:45am and ask if they have somewhere I can hang out. Gave me a key to the business center where I spent the rest of the night trying to sleep on the floor. Thankfully it was carpeted.

Absolutely the worst hotel. Front desk was a jerk. They changed out the AC while we were gone that day but ignored my request to have the room and AC system tested for contamination. Worst of worst hotels. They offered an adjustment to our bill and I told them flat out we wouldn't pay a dime for the room. We didn't get charged but that couldn't compensate for 3 days it took to recover from allergic reaction and sleep loss.

• Stayed June 2008
San Jose
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Just came back from a 4 night stay at the Sheraton La Jolla. I picked it mostly because of the very reasonable pre-paid rate I got through the hotel website ($167/night) and because it seemed like it would be clean since it was recently remodeled. It is right off I-5, but you really don't hear much noise. It is not within walking distance to downtown La Jolla.
We got regular doubles room upstairs. The room was very clean, and had some remodeling. I did appreciate the refrigerator, the microwave, and Starbucks coffee in the room. There is also free wireless wi-fi. We only ordered breakfast room service one morning, and it was on time and pretty good. We did not use the pool, or any of the other on-site ammenities, so I can't comment on those. I did also like the free parking.
The hotel looks more like an apartment buildings, but I prefer that sometimes to the high rise hotels.
What I didn't like about the hotel was mainly the size of the room, and the bathroom. I think that it just felt smaller because of the furnishings or colors they chose for the inside as well.
I would stay here again only if I got a great deal, and if I could afford a bigger room. It is a 3 star hotel, but a very decent, clean one. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Liked — The value
  • Disliked — The size of the room/bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank CaroSanJose
SanAntonio
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I read many reviews of this hotel and they were quite helpful as my family (wife, 2 kids 8 and 13) planned our vacation. All the nice things about this hotel; cleanliness, great staff, nice grounds, etc. are right on the money. Place was clean, pretty, the staff was absolutely super. What I want other travelers to note is that this hotel is not near any vacation attractions except to commute by car. Not that that is a bad thing, but when you go down to La Jolla to walk around and shop and go to the cove, and snorkel, and go to the beach and surf, etc. you will see many, many other properties that are within walking distance to some, if not all of these places. The Sheraton is at least a 5 minute drive from all of them. Great place for those doing business in the La Jolla/Torrey Pines area, but if your family likes to walk around the surf village or the high end shops, or likes a spontaneous trip to the cove to snorkel, this is not the place for you unless you want to pack up the car and seek out hard to find parking on every adventure.

• Liked — clean and orderly
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed 24 June 2008

II was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Although I had read some of the negative reviews of this hotel I decided to take the chance and I am very glad I did.

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in May 2008 with my wife and children. As a Starwood platinum I was upgraded to a very nice junior suite and given access to the club lounge. The room was large and nicely appointed. The extra room is great if you have kids plus there is a kitchenette that saves you from having to eat every meal out.

One of the highlights of the hotel is the staff. Everyone is very friendly, from the front desk to the maids. The staff at the club lounge are exceptional and very willing to go out of their way for you.

The kids loved the pool and the surrounding grounds. Everything is kept very well maintained. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family