“Not a business hotel. room location scary”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Dover, Delaware
“Not a business hotel. room location scary”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I recently got stuck at this hotel because I was attending a conference a mile away, that hotel was sold out. I usually enjoy Sheratons and am a Starwood Gold.
When I checked into the hotel I discovered there was no shuttle transportation period, not to even go one mile, which meant I was stuck taking taxis back & forth @ night. After checking in, I discovered my room was @ the very back of the property, It was outside of the main hotel, unprotected, Where anyone could have access to these rooms without a key to get in. the majority of the other rooms were inside the building & protected. Right off the highway. The front desk told me they were sold out. Next morning, mgr tried to move me but I went back to the convention hotel & they found me a room. Made this reservation awhile ago. Ironically another person made his reservation @ the last minute & got a good, safe room.

Room Tip: Don't stay where you don't feel safe.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lisa B
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Hello Lisa B,

Thank you for sending in your comments. I do apologize that you were unhappy with your stay. I did want to share some of the additional information we spoke about in the morning when I offered to move your guest room. I explained that access into your guestroom building required a room key (which is true for all 5 of our guest room buildings) and that your guest room on the upper floor was absolutely safe. In any case, I understood that you prefered a room with an entrance in the main hallway and did hold one for you. Additionally, since you did not book a Garden View room, I did share that upgrades to larger and/or view rooms were given based on availability at the time of arrival. This time, due to high occupancy, many guests booked directly into upgraded rooms as standard rooms were sold out and this unfortunately did not leave the desired upgrade availlable for you. Again, we do apologize that you were unhappy with your stay and hope that your new room was fantastic and your conference was successful. We wish you wonderful travels in the future.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Erie, Colorado
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I had a conference over at the Hyatt; try to stay at Starwood properties if convenient and this was.
Angela checked me in, very nice, acknowledged my Gold Status, upgraded without asking, gave a good lowdown of the property.

Rooms in E Building large, clean and updated. Grounds are beautiful. Both bar and restaurant were nice and had a local following.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Hello MichIrons,

Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear that Angela was a bright point during your visit and that we could be your home base during your conference. I hope that your travels may bring you to stay with us again.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Recently stayed at this Sheraton for a work trip, but will choose a different spot in the future. There were a lot of cons: super-tiny bathroom, shabby and slightly smelly rooms, and the hotel overall seemed quite dated. Pros were a comfortable bed, plus a pretty decent lunch in the restaurant. I did not consider this hotel to be expensive, but would probably pay more for a nicer stay elsewhere.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank R0bin72
Hello R0bin72,

Thank you for sending in your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy to share that the hotel is currently undergoing room renovations and we are looking forward to completing all rooms and sharing this refreshed look with our guests. Please know that we do offer Executive Rooms which feature more spacious bathrooms. I hope that you will give us another chance on a future visit to La Jolla; I would be happy to personally assist with any return reservations to ensure that you have a successful visit next time!

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I normally do not write reviews as most places fall within decent range, with some good and some bad points, but this hotel was just amazing. I did my research before I booked and knew I wanted to be in the excutive building. New and larger room for a traveling family. I was not disappointed. We were on the club level and had a wonderful walkout patio overlooking the courtyard. When you think courtyard I was not expecting something that looked like a courtyard I have seen in Hawaii but that is what you get. From the birds of paradise to the koi pond and pool (although I have to agree with another review... the towels could be improved alot), its just beautiful. Even my 4 year old liked it better than the hotel we stayed at Disneyland! The resturant on site was delicous and with the coupon they give you makes it so very reasonable. The location is excellent. It was a 10 minute drive to everywhere we wanted to go and the shopping center behind than can easily be walked to was icing on the cake. But I have saved the best for last. The Staff! We have stayed in many hotels and the staff at this hotel is beyond excellent. They are not just professional, they are warm, knowledgable and helpful. This was truly the case from the front desk, to the bell hop to the ladies of the club lounge. This is the place Sheraton should be using as an example on how staff should be. Kudos!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hello DawnD1004,

Thanks so much for your great review! I am so happy to hear that your time at the Sheraton La Jolla was stellar! We appreciate all of your compliments to the hotel offerings and the hotel staff. I will certainly pass along your sentiments and we will look forward to seeing you next time!

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 October 2013

The major plus of this hotel is the location off of the freeway and proximity to Torrey Pines. While the staff did give me an upgraded room (bonus!), I felt that the property was trying too hard to be a resort, without actually being a resort. Compared to a number of other Sheraton's, I felt the design of the property was a bit disjointed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello kwward1,

Thank you for sending in your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary upgraded room. I do appreciate your comments and certainly understand that this property may not be a good match for you, but I trust that the service you received was top notch. We wish you wonderful travels in the future.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was a spur of the moment reservation and quite pricey. For what we got, we didn't think it was worth the price. The bathroom was the main complaint. It was the sink, the toilet and tub all in a row and that's how wide the bathroom was. There was just enough room to turn around. The bed was good. The room was clean. It was too cool to swim so we couldn't try that out but it looked nice. There was a charge for parking but if you go about 10 mins. north, you can alleviate that at other hotels in the area. It was close to the freeway and close to shopping and restaurants. No breakfast included but did give us a discount coupon for the restaurant on the premises for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Hello bets425,

Thank you for sending your comments regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not completely delighted with your experience. We do offer Executive Rooms which feature much more spacious bathrooms and are well received by our guests. Should you decide you would like to give us another try I would be happy to assist personally with your accommodations to ensure that your return visit is successful.

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
Arcadia, California, USA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you ever need a place to stay while you are visiting UCSD this is the location to be at. The parking is free if you are lucky enough to part in the front. Just remember to turn the wheels in toward the curb or you might get fined. If you are in a Club Room the food is great in the lounge. They even serve beer!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hello Zemit,

Thanks for your great review! I'm glad that you found our hotel convenient for your needs at UC San Diego. Also thank you for your compliments to the Club Lounge! We'll hope to see you next time.