“Very nice, great location, great staff”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Was very tired at check in; staff very pleasant, made efforts to make things smooth, moved me to a floor away from any noise. Suggested that I have robe, slippers, and glass of wine sent up, and that i use the spa to unwind; arriving at my room with my bag to find housekeeping just arriving with my robe! Problem with key and getting door open, housekeeping rang desk and clerk dashed up to fix the problem apologizing all the while. Offered me a coupon for dinner for the next day. Room fairly spacious, lovely bed, new TV etc! LIghts go on with a finger touch, no noisy switches. Restaurant was quite nice. Wait staff was superb!! Very nice decor in restaurant, and very fresh menu. Close to freeway but feels apart. Only bad things the layout of grounds is odd, parking costs extra, some of the exteriors in need of sprucing up.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hello ItsMyScreenName,

Thanks for your review! I'm happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that the service provided by the staff was top notch. It is wonderful that you had the opportunity to try our restaurant, Humphreys, they really do a great job! We'll hope to see you on a return visit very soon.

Revenue Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,421)

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I initially did not book here for well over two years of weekend visits because of the mediocre reviews, and decided to stay at a Hilton property as I have status at both Starwood and Hilton, but do prefer Starwood when possible. I'm now regretting it. This is a very nice facility and the SPG building is great.

I have to question the reviews that state this hotel is located in an inconvenient area or that the property has issues. It is possible that it was renovated in the last few years.

Strengths:

1. Gardens. Very nice. I mean, you typically don't get something like this unless you stay in Hawaii.

2. Gym. Modern and open all the time. Very clean. Very convenient.

3. SPG lounge. Small and quaint. I have to admit that breakfast was definitely lacking compared to other Sheratons and missed dinner, but a nice place to relax nevertheless.

4. Rooms. Large and I liked the first floor sliding doors with seating area outside.

Weaknesses

1. Internet. I had some stability issues with the standard connection and at less than 1 mbps, it's too slow. However, tried the higher tier the next day and it was slightly more stable but at 1.4 mbps, still not optimal for business. I expect at least 3 U/D.

2. Pool hours. 10 pm is a bit too early for those that have late days and dining out with clients to come back and relax. However, can understand this as it's in the garden area and potential for noise would disturb light early sleepers.

3. Parking. Although there is a fee, which is unfortunate, and hotels in the area either do not charge at all for parking or charge a ridiculous amount, the current rate is reasonable.

In short, if you are SPG Platinum or Gold, this place deserves your business.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank medicinewizard
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Hello medicinewizard,

Thanks for your review! We always enjoy hearing back from our Platinum SPG's and I'm glad to read that you had a positive experience. Thanks for your detailed comments and kind compliments about the guest rooms and the hotel grounds. We'll hope to see you back very soon!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

the hotel might be 20 or more years old - however the silence by the pool and good night sleep makes this a real retreat in a noisy city.

free Wifi in all rooms and public spaces, there is a nice Pool and kingsize Jacuzzi.

Even street side parking is free, the hotel thinks guest would see $13 as a value for parking on their (uncovered) carpark.

They charge for local calls $0,75 and the put the $3,5 water just next to the free SPG-member water - impertinent I think.....

However it's a real gem - to be recommend!!

Room Tip: rooms to courtyard are more quiet
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Hello joe1968,

Thanks for your review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel offerings, in particular, our fantastic pool and Jacuzzi! I hope that you travels will bring you to La Jolla again and that you will return to us.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at this hotel. We are aways so impressed with everything about the place. Even tho it is not the 'hotel' that some apparently expect but instead it has a resort feel and the grounds are spacious and scenic. And most of the rooms open into a hallway, not to the outside. The staff here are so welcoming. Everyone has been so well trained in hospitality. We again thought the room was clean and very comfortable and the bedding is the best. The restaurant staff is excellent (especially Charlie) and so is the food. We ate dinner and breakfast there. It is very convenient to the attractions of the city and an easy trip into La Jolla. Most of all we think you get a great stay and the price is right.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wOrldTrav39
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hello wOrldTrav39,

Thank you for your review! We love to hear from valued repeat guests such as yourself. Thanks for your kind compliments to the staff, especially Charlie, and I will certainly pass them along. I'm happy to hear that you continue to enjoy the beautiful hotel grounds and the comfortable guest rooms. We'll hope to see you for a 4th visit very soon!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Close to the 5, easy access to downtown, zoo, beaches. This hotel is clean, comfy, overall a decent place, has character. The bathroom is small. Staff very friendly. On site parking is convenient. There is nothing I hate more than folks who don't research where they are staying and then complain and admit to being cheap snobs. If you want glamor stay at the Del Coronado. This hotel is not on the beach, yes it's older, but well maintained and updated, it's age gives it charm.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Hello ShellsBells0510,

Thanks so much for sending in your review. I certainly appreciate your kind comments about the hotel and the staff. We do pride ourselves on providing a well-maintained, value option for travelers in the La Jolla area and I'm so glad to see that you agree. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. Location was great. Not too far from San Diego, short drive to the down town. Easy drive to the Old Town where you can get the best Mexican food. Don't go elsewhere. Go to the Old Town for Mexican food. Plenty of restaurants near the hotel. Take La Jolla Village Dr west and you will see high end restaurants and shopping malls. Also, don't rely on your GPS to get onto I-805. Take La Jolla Village Dr west for 1 mile and you will run into 805. Your GPS will tell you to get onto I-5 and drive a couple of mile up or down to get onto I-805.

Hotel was very clean and felt very relaxed. Their club lounge is located all the behind the property which can be quite a walk. If you have a lounge access then ask for a room closer to the lounge. A lady working at the lounge was fantastic. She greeted everyone coming into the lounge and she was reserving restaurants, etc. She was really enjoying her work. She was doing such a good job, I was tipping her every day. :) The lounge had a basic breakfast but had really fresh fruits.

Parking is not free so be prepared to pay.

Room Tip: If you have a club lounge access, ask for a room near the club
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Samuel H
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Hello Samuel H,

Thanks for your wonderful review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel location and our easy access to the greater San Diego area. We appreciate your compliments to the Club Lounge staff and I will certainly pass them along. Thanks again for your comments and I hope that you will stay with us again on a future visit to La Jolla!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

When you think of La Jolla, you think of pretty coastline, fancy golf courses and quaint shops. When I think back on the Sheraton there, I think of none of that.

I booked a room here for a recent business trip in the area and was shocked at how dated and motel-like this property was. If you’re old enough to recall the old Howard Johnson’s chain, this will bring back memories.

I’ve stayed at the nearby Sheraton Marina, the W and the classic US Grant, all in San Diego, and the Sheraton Carlsbad resort (highly recommended), 10 miles north, with great results, so I expected more.

Located on a busy intersection, feet from CA 5, an eight-lane highway, this 2-story compound is hidden by trees and has poor signage, so you’ll have to look hard to find the quick left up a dead end road. When you arrive, be aware that there is no valet parking. I found this out after leaving my car with the keys in it at a valet-like podium for 15 minutes. However, being basically a motel (motor-hotel, get it?), you can park your car near your room, which is an advantage if you have lots of gear.

The front desk folks were friendly and helpful, even though my room wasn’t ready ay 4 pm. They offered to hold my luggage and call me when it was clean, and they did, just 30 minutes later. They also gave me a free drink coupon for the trouble.

The local area here is congested and full of strip malls and is not conducive to a leisurely stroll but there are bars and restaurants nearby, which you’ll need because the hotel bar and restaurant is awful. It is depressing and dated and full of old folks in tracksuits and families with reunion t-shirts. I ended up getting takeout from a Vietnamese joint named Pho La Jolla that is adjacent to the hotel lot and it was fantastic.

After a long day of travel, I settled into my first floor suite (I get free upgrades) and was dismayed to find an annoying family of apparent primates above me. The kids were leaping off the beds, bouncing off of walls and screaming loudly. Experience has taught me that the best course of action in these situations is to walk up to the offending room, get the room number, and calmly call them asking them to quiet down, rather than waiting for the front desk or security. In this case, it did not work. The parent who answered the phone laughed and told me to @#% off.

Plan B- calling the front desk¬- didn’t work either. They did nothing. So I resorted to another call pretending to be the La Jolla police and threatening eviction. This worked.

While you can’t completely blame the Sheraton for the quality of the guests, you can tell something about the hotel by them. Be aware that this place may attract some lower-end folks. The checkout line in the morning bore this theory out.

Like many Sheratons that they’ve not gotten around to updating or replacing, I can’t recommend this relic. Unless you’re a cheapskate like me who always uses Starwood points to book rooms, you can do way better at other hotels in this area.

Room Tip: Try the Vietnamese restaurant called Pho La Jolla next to the hotel. Outstanding and cheap.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hello dupedtourist,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that the hotel did not reach your expectations. We're happy to report that we are currently undergoing renovations to give our guest rooms a refreshed look and are scheduled to have these completed by the beginning of June. I certainly apologize for the noise disturbance you experienced during your stay. Please know that the Front Desk absolutely takes these situations seriously, and I can assure you that calls were made to the offending guest. Unfortunately in this case we even received a negative review on our independent hotel website about the multiple phone calls we made to the guest who was causing the noise disturbance. It sounds like our hotel was not the overall right fit for you, but please know that the staff truly does want to provide an enjoyable experience and I certainly apologize that we were not able to deliver this time. We wish you wonderful travels in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#1 of 24 in La Jolla
Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Been to Sheraton La Jolla Hotel? Share your experiences!