“Wonderful service, and wonderful people!”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Gilbert, Arizona
“Wonderful service, and wonderful people!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed only one night on my way home from visiting a friend in LA on business. I love the La Jolla/Del Mar area and had an extra night so I thought I would make my way down the coast.
I booked on a site that looks at multiple hotels so I only made my decision based on the area and the star rating. Wow, did I get lucky that this was the hotel I ended up at!
The room was beautiful and CLEAN, and the entire grounds were well maintained. Since it was my last night I wanted to just relax so I made my way to the hotel restaurant first for dinner then the bar for drinks. First, the restaurant... The pasta was fantastic, the atmosphere was very calm and relaxing, and the service was wonderful. Joel was my server and was an absolute sweetheart. It can be a little odd dining alone while surrounded by groups and couples but he made me feel right at home.
The bar was another great experience. There, I met Afton who made sure I enjoyed myself the entire time.When I travel someplace I want to know the true experience, not the experience provided by the tourism in the area. Both Joel and Afton were full of information about local attractions. I also love to meet and talk to new people and never once did I feel like they were annoyed at my questions and were more than willing to chat when time allowed. I must also mention the lovely musical entertainment by Elliot. Not overwhelming for those who want to have a conversation with someone near then but still perfect to listen to while enjoying a glass of wine.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a personal experience, especially if traveling alone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Hello Klair W,

Thanks so much for your review! I was so glad to read that you had enjoyable interactions with the staff and I will certainly pass along your compliments to Joel & Afton. Thanks again for your kind words and I hope that we will have the opportunity to see you on a future visit.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Checked in as a SPG gold member, got a trainee tom heck me in. First room was backed up to a parking lot. Went back and was nice to her and asked for another room, and this one was worse. Back up to the freeway. Place is clean but needs some updates and if they treat me as a gold member the way they did, with asking for a extra $40 for that room, how will they treat the run of the mill person.

Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Siessdav
Hello Siessdav,

I was sorry to hear that you were not delighted during your stay. I would be happy to personally look into your experience if you would be so kind as to contact me directly. It would be most helpful so that I can follow up with the appropriate staff members and see if there is anything I can do to make your lasting impression a bit better. I will hope to hear from you soon.

kruskofsky@sheratonlj.com
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Was very tired at check in; staff very pleasant, made efforts to make things smooth, moved me to a floor away from any noise. Suggested that I have robe, slippers, and glass of wine sent up, and that i use the spa to unwind; arriving at my room with my bag to find housekeeping just arriving with my robe! Problem with key and getting door open, housekeeping rang desk and clerk dashed up to fix the problem apologizing all the while. Offered me a coupon for dinner for the next day. Room fairly spacious, lovely bed, new TV etc! LIghts go on with a finger touch, no noisy switches. Restaurant was quite nice. Wait staff was superb!! Very nice decor in restaurant, and very fresh menu. Close to freeway but feels apart. Only bad things the layout of grounds is odd, parking costs extra, some of the exteriors in need of sprucing up.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hello ItsMyScreenName,

Thanks for your review! I'm happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that the service provided by the staff was top notch. It is wonderful that you had the opportunity to try our restaurant, Humphreys, they really do a great job! We'll hope to see you on a return visit very soon.

Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I initially did not book here for well over two years of weekend visits because of the mediocre reviews, and decided to stay at a Hilton property as I have status at both Starwood and Hilton, but do prefer Starwood when possible. I'm now regretting it. This is a very nice facility and the SPG building is great.

I have to question the reviews that state this hotel is located in an inconvenient area or that the property has issues. It is possible that it was renovated in the last few years.

Strengths:

1. Gardens. Very nice. I mean, you typically don't get something like this unless you stay in Hawaii.

2. Gym. Modern and open all the time. Very clean. Very convenient.

3. SPG lounge. Small and quaint. I have to admit that breakfast was definitely lacking compared to other Sheratons and missed dinner, but a nice place to relax nevertheless.

4. Rooms. Large and I liked the first floor sliding doors with seating area outside.

Weaknesses

1. Internet. I had some stability issues with the standard connection and at less than 1 mbps, it's too slow. However, tried the higher tier the next day and it was slightly more stable but at 1.4 mbps, still not optimal for business. I expect at least 3 U/D.

2. Pool hours. 10 pm is a bit too early for those that have late days and dining out with clients to come back and relax. However, can understand this as it's in the garden area and potential for noise would disturb light early sleepers.

3. Parking. Although there is a fee, which is unfortunate, and hotels in the area either do not charge at all for parking or charge a ridiculous amount, the current rate is reasonable.

In short, if you are SPG Platinum or Gold, this place deserves your business.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank medicinewizard
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hello medicinewizard,

Thanks for your review! We always enjoy hearing back from our Platinum SPG's and I'm glad to read that you had a positive experience. Thanks for your detailed comments and kind compliments about the guest rooms and the hotel grounds. We'll hope to see you back very soon!

Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 13 March 2014

the hotel might be 20 or more years old - however the silence by the pool and good night sleep makes this a real retreat in a noisy city.

free Wifi in all rooms and public spaces, there is a nice Pool and kingsize Jacuzzi.

Even street side parking is free, the hotel thinks guest would see $13 as a value for parking on their (uncovered) carpark.

They charge for local calls $0,75 and the put the $3,5 water just next to the free SPG-member water - impertinent I think.....

However it's a real gem - to be recommend!!

Room Tip: rooms to courtyard are more quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello joe1968,

Thanks for your review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel offerings, in particular, our fantastic pool and Jacuzzi! I hope that you travels will bring you to La Jolla again and that you will return to us.

Irvine
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is the third time we have stayed at this hotel. We are aways so impressed with everything about the place. Even tho it is not the 'hotel' that some apparently expect but instead it has a resort feel and the grounds are spacious and scenic. And most of the rooms open into a hallway, not to the outside. The staff here are so welcoming. Everyone has been so well trained in hospitality. We again thought the room was clean and very comfortable and the bedding is the best. The restaurant staff is excellent (especially Charlie) and so is the food. We ate dinner and breakfast there. It is very convenient to the attractions of the city and an easy trip into La Jolla. Most of all we think you get a great stay and the price is right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wOrldTrav39
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hello wOrldTrav39,

Thank you for your review! We love to hear from valued repeat guests such as yourself. Thanks for your kind compliments to the staff, especially Charlie, and I will certainly pass them along. I'm happy to hear that you continue to enjoy the beautiful hotel grounds and the comfortable guest rooms. We'll hope to see you for a 4th visit very soon!

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Close to the 5, easy access to downtown, zoo, beaches. This hotel is clean, comfy, overall a decent place, has character. The bathroom is small. Staff very friendly. On site parking is convenient. There is nothing I hate more than folks who don't research where they are staying and then complain and admit to being cheap snobs. If you want glamor stay at the Del Coronado. This hotel is not on the beach, yes it's older, but well maintained and updated, it's age gives it charm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hello ShellsBells0510,

Thanks so much for sending in your review. I certainly appreciate your kind comments about the hotel and the staff. We do pride ourselves on providing a well-maintained, value option for travelers in the La Jolla area and I'm so glad to see that you agree. We hope to see you again soon!