“Don't judge a book by its cover”

Sheraton La Jolla Hotel
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Los Angeles, California
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

What was the outward appearance? On the side of the I-5 and apparently next to a shopping plaza. However, a big HOWEVER, once you enter the grounds, the feel is totally different. Lush barely begins to describe the landscaping. I faced the road just off the ext ramp from the highway...and I could not see the road! The room was quiet and nicely appointed with louvered shutters, nice beds with top quality linens, and great ventilation. The pool was wonderful and had more of a resort feel than I expected. One minor detractor: where we're the benches on h grounds? Would be nice to sit by the little pond or under the trees. Great service in Humphrey's and thanks to Linda at the front desk.

Room Tip: The ones facing pool would be prettiest.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hello Sibyl B,

Thanks for your review! I'm glad to hear that the hotel was a nice surprise during your stay. We appreciate your compliments to the hotel grounds and the guest rooms and I will certainly pass along your kudos to the Humphreys staff and our Front Desk Agent, Linda, as well. Please come back and see us soon!

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 11 August 2014

From the time we checked in and our room was ready early, to the bellman/greeter, to the driver that helped us around town, and the hostess of the happy hour Saturday night.

Everyone and everything was incredible, and the room was AWESOME!

We will definitely be back and I recommend this property to anyone traveling to San Diego/La Jolla area.

Room Tip: We were in Building 9 in the back.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello Greg D,

Thanks for your great review! We are so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that the staff and your guest room were great! Thanks for your kind compliments and we will hope to see you on a return visit very soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'd booked this hotel as part of a week-long multi-city college tour and had mistakenly made the reservation for Thursday instead of Wednesday. When we turned up the staff were highly apologetic (although it was my own fault) but they had no rooms. While we were figuring out where to go next Linda, one of the front desk staff, came and told us that they would have a room for us later which was excellent news and very nice of them.

The hotel is situated right off I-5 and conveniently located opposite UCSD. Just a short walk up the hill is a large strip mall with all kinds of restaurants, shops and a movie theater. The hotel reception is very modern looking and we hung out in the bar waiting for our room and had a great lunch.

The hotel is comprised of a few separate buildings around a central pool area which combines with the lovely La Jolla weather to create a resort-like atmosphere.

The room was spacious, clean and well appointed and the bed was very comfortable, which is something you notice when staying in several different hotels over a week.

Definitely a great base to tour La Jolla and the San Diego area.

Room Tip: The rooms numbered X01 to X20 are facing the main road down the hill and there was some traffic/emer...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello Si405,

Thank you for sending in your comments about your recent stay! I'm so glad to hear that Linda was able to find accommodations for you and that the hotel location served you well for your needs at UCSD. We appreciate your compliments to the guest rooms and the hotel grounds and are so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please come see us again soon!

Alhambra, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I were in the area for him to have an exploratory surgery on 8/8/14-8/9/14 and I managed to book the Sheraton La Jolla through Priceline. Little did we know that his surgery center was literally less than a 1/2 mile away from the hotel. After my husbands surgery we arrived to check in exhausted when we were greeted by the most AMAZING Paul!!! He was simply the best!! We were early to arrive, but I told him why we were there as my husband has stage 4 cancer and this was one of two surgeries that will be needed out of UCSD. At that point I had been awake for far too long and my hunny was in pain, Paul was able to find us a room that was ready and close so it wouldn't be too far for my husband to walk and we could get some rest. It was the most beautiful room we have ever stayed in, with beautiful views. We went to Shooter's in the evening where I enjoyed a mojito made by Karen. The strawberry puree was weird, but the service was excellent, she was super friendly....I am truly hoping to book this hotel again for my husbands second surgery, he will be in the hospital for 7-14 days and those beds and a real shower sound like HEAVEN!! I can't thank Paul enough and would return solely for his service, it made my day all seem better :) Thank you!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Stephanie A,

Thank you for your great review! We are glad that we could provide enjoyable accommodations to you during this stressful time. Thank you for your kind compliments to Paul; I will certainly pass them along to him and to our Guest Relations Manager. Please let us know when you will be coming back so that we can take special care with your return reservation. Thanks again!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This place is a gem - a wonderful resort style accommodation in La Jolla, San Diego.
Front desk service is wonderful - they were so helpful when I couldn't log on to free wifi in my room. They also facilitated a later departure as our return flight home wasn't until 11.30pm.
We stayed in the Executive "E" section and rooms were great. Huge room with plenty of space, light, power points (which sometimes are not readily available in hotels) - my only complaint (not a criticism ) is that the towels are a bit small (Sheraton, a nice upgrade to match your wonderful beds, would be large towels)
The pool and surrounds (outside) is clean, quiet, relaxing & spacious. Didn't use the gym but had a look and if you're that way inclined it looked adequate :)

Overall it wasn't a very pleasant stay in a garden holiday setting - would definitely return here - thank-you Sheraton

Room Tip: the E rooms are quiet and away from the general area
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roknok
Hello roknok,

Thanks for your review! I was so glad to read that you had an enjoyable visit and that the staff provided great service to you. We appreciate all of your comments and I will certainly be passing them all along to the appropriate departments. Thanks again and we will hope to see you back very soon!

Syracuse,NY
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel beds were supper comfy and all staff members friendly and helpful. Dinner was good but service a littlee slow. Location is near I-5 and some shops next door...Wholefoods, CVS, Ralphs and some restaurants.

• Stayed August 2014
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hello jscibetta,

Thank you for your great review! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed and appreciate your compliments to the staff. Please come back to see us again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I loved my stay here! I was visiting UCSD so it was just across the road. Great friendly staff that were always willing to make my stay the best it could be. Very close to WholeFoods supermarket too. Great pool area. I would highly recommend

Room Tip: Yes it was nice and quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hello Kirstwh1991,

Thank you for sending in your comments! We are so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location convenient for your needs at UC San Diego. I will certainly pass along your compliments to the staff and we will hope to see you again on a return visit.