“Hugely Disappointed”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Longmont, Colorado
“Hugely Disappointed”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I used the spg.com platinum line to book this reservation and the agent accidentally failed to put in the correct nightly rate. It amounted to a $19 a night difference. I stayed for two nights. When I received my folio I realized that there was a rate discrepancy and I called the hotel and requested an adjustment to the rate that I was quoted. I spoke to the reservation agent, the "revenue" manager, and the General Manager all to no avail. It is stunning to me that the General Manager of this hotel ( that is not exactly a shining star for Sheraton-SPG) would choose to lose a loyal SPG member who has stayed at the hotel on other occasions. While I had consistently found the service at this hotel lacking I was willing to sacrifice due to the location and the very nice pool/grounds area. Never again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
Hello jdubwillett,

I was sorry to see these comments from you even after speaking with you directly during your stay. It is very important for our guests to know that the confirmation letter sent after making a reservation should be reviewed carefully in order to avoid any confusion with rates, stay dates, or room types. It is clear that your complaint was concerning the conversation you had with the Starwood Platinum line agent as we did verify your confirmation for the rate charged by the hotel. Please know that we do make every attempt to assist our guests with any issue that may arise during their stay, and in this case, I apologize that you felt our service was not satisfactory. As you are a Platinum member, I hope that your Starwood Ambassador was able to assist with your issue as this was not a reservation booked at the hotel level. While we are sad to hear you may not be returning, I hope that this confusion with the rate will not deter you from a future stay as I would be happy to personally assist you with any future accommodation needs.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hayward, California
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I am a frequent business traveler spending about 300 nights a year in hotels and this was a disappointment. First, the hotel has no pay cable tv channels like HBO. I was here for 13 nights and not only was that a problem for me, it was a shock and had I known this I would never have booked here. In addition to this although they had a dvd player in my room, and I travel with plenty of movies, there was no remote control to operate it. When I asked about one I was told they don't have any remote controls for any of their dvd players and advised someone could come to my room to show me how to use it. I am not a moron, I know how to operate a dvd player, that was not the point, how tacky and inconvenient! I purchased one myself, easy enough, and what I thought they should have done. Since I am a Starwood Platinum guest my Starwood Ambassador was able to get this reimbursed for me and I left it for the next guest! I will say the food in the bar was great, and the bar staff outstanding, I would have no trouble recommending them to locals in the area as they know how to deliver exceptional service. Also the manager who was there the day of check in when I realized about the HBO was nice enough to take $10 off the rate for that. The grounds are pretty and I very much liked have the fridge, microwave and wet bar. I usually stay at the Hyatt around the corner when in La Jolla but thought I would give this Starwood property a try. If they fixed these couple of things, and had a higher level of service from the hotel staff would consider staying again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Hello slgiberson,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us left you unsatisfied. While I am happy to hear your praises about our staff and food in our bar, Shooters, I am of course not happy to hear that you felt that other aspects of our service fell short.

It is true that we do not offer HBO channels and as a gesture of goodwill my Front Office Manager was happy to give you a credit to your room bill, which you mentioned. We were also happy to issue you the repayment for the remote control, as this is not an item that we have on hand for our guests. I hope that the fact that you did enjoy most aspects of the guest rooms will give us another opportunity to accommodate you on a future stay!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I stayed here during the last week of January 2011 as my conference was located at the hotel. Make no mistake about it, this is a renovated low-rise motel with multiple buildings (tallest building was 3 stories) surrounding a serene courtyard where the small garden and a pool/hottub is located. Sitting in the nicely landscaped courtyard, you would never know the busy I-5 and other main roads surround the property and I do think they did good job with what they had. It reminds me of their property in Kauai, with palm trees and small garden with koi pond, but at a much smaller scale (and, of course, not beach front). The size might be more Four Points by Sheraton, but I suppose with the Club level with lounge and the restaurant, it qualifies as a Sheraton. As part of their eco-friendly program, you get $5 credit for each day you skip the housekeeping service for use in the restaurants. There is a shopping area just south of the hotel property that can be accessed through a gate controlled by your hotel key. It has a Peets Coffee, CVS, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Ralphs, DSW, World Market, Marshalls, Starbucks, and a bunch of restaurants. Concierge was great--arranged for taxi/town cars to downtown La Jolla (less than $10 one way) and San Diego ($45 to Harbor/Gaslamp one way) and always had great tips on local restaurants and things to do.

Pro: great staff at the hotel, from front desk and concierge to the housekeeping and grounds crew that always acknowledge you; rooms are large and nicely furnished; quiet (I had a room that was not next to I-5); free wireless internet in room; microwave, fridge, and single-serving coffee maker standard; small but good fitness room (3 treadmills,1 elliptical, 2 bikes, several Hoist weight machines and free weights);

Con: Not your typical large, high-rise Sheraton; meeting rooms served by one small elevator and you have to go outside if you want to walk down to those rooms (yes, down--the lobby is on the top floor of that building); small bathrooms; no in-room safe; somewhat confusing heat/air conditioning control (yes, we needed both during our stay--but once I figured it out, the room was always very comfortable)

Overall great stay at the Sheraton La Jolla.

1 Thank BeATraveler
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
BeATraveler,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent business stay with us. It is important for our guests to know that the property is designed in a tropical resort style, with five different guest room buildings and a reception/meeting room building that encircle a garden courtyard with koi ponds and a pool area.

I was happy to hear that your stay was comfortable, and I wish we had the opportunity to offer you one of our guest safes available behind the front desk for your convenience during your stay. I hope that your business or leisure travels will bring you to us again!

San Mateo
Reviewed 2 February 2011

The location of the hotel was perfect for anyone needing to go to UCSD. Loved that there is a locking gate adjoining the nearby mall so that shopping is waliking distance. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms and grounds are lovely. The only issue we had was the $10/day parking fee seems excessive and unnecessary for hotel guests. The room key should entitle you to parking there on the hotel property. It's not like a parking garage or anything. Other than the parking fee, I would highly recommend to others. Best price was available on the internet, rather than callinig to make reservations.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
Hello 9317,

I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at the Sheraton La Jolla! We are very proud of our tropical setting and our fantastic staff as they truly care about giving each guest a memorable stay. I am sorry that you were disappointed with our parking fee. Our parking fee does continue to be one of the lowest in the area and we are happy to keep these costs down as much as possible for our guests. Again, thank you for your comments. I hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you on a stay in the future!

oceanside,
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I loved the grounds and the location of the hotel. The hotel is so conveniently located. I loved the renovated rooms and wish that we had more time to stay and enjoy the pool and fitness center. I really liked the person who checked us into the hotel. I don't remember her name but we checked in at around 2:00 PM on Friday (Jan 28th). She had the perfect attitude and spirit (just what you want at your front desk).

The one thing I did not like, but realize it's hard to control is that while my son was taking a nap, I kept on hearing employees talking in the hallway and their phones beeping.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Hello skyslimit,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed our stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We are certainly lucky that our location lends itself to so many stay types! I am happy to pass along your compliments to our front desk staff and know that we take your comments about the staff noise in the room hallway to heart. I very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention as this is the best way we have to improve our services.

I hope we will see you on a future stay! Currently, we are in the beginning stages of a fitness center upgrade, so keep an eye out for that as well!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 28 January 2011

For $185.00 dollars per night and being a SPG PLT. member, I didn't think that I would be given a room that was outside of the main building, facing directly towards the nosiey fwy and not being able to sit on the balcony since it was dirty. Overall nice hotel but management didn't take care of loyal members.

Hello creamer67,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. While we do enjoy our lush, tropical setting, I do apologize that your private patio was not cleared of the excess leaves as this made it unusable for you. I have followed up with my housekeeping staff to make sure that a closer eye is kept on our patios!

We do our very best to upgrade each and every SPG Platinum and Gold member and of course you can understand that in a soldout situation we may not have as many options available as was the case during this particular stay. We would absoulutely love to accommodate you on future stay and have the opportunity to show you our upgraded rooms!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I drove down from LA to La Jolla on a Friday afternoon and arrived at the Sheraton around 2pm. The drive was actually easy with minor traffic but scenically beautiful. When I arrived, I parked my car and proceeded to check-in. Overnight parking with In/Out privileges were only $10, and it was basically across the street from UCSD where I was speaking the next day.

Although check-in time was at 3pm, they gave me a room an hour early, and an SPG room upgrade at that. They already had my SPG number on file. I was really impressed by their efficiency and hospitality. The lobby is very simple but had glass windows that gave the hotel a very tropical feel. the decor also added to this ambiance which was light creme in colour. The Front Desk agent also gave me a 50% discount for lunch or dinner at the restaurant. Btw, the free range chicken with greens, potatoes and purple yams I had at dinner that night at the restaurant was delicious! There is a pool right in the middle of the hotel, as well as a jacuzzi and a small waterfall pond with Koi fish. Palm trees surrounded the pool so that when you look out your window, you really have a sense of being in the tropics. Through wooden window blinds, my room overlooked the grounds. And it was perfect because the sun rays tapped into my room and shined on the palm coloured sofa. Simple but elegant, I'd say. The bed was soft as ever, and the working desk decent with Free WiFi. Complimentary Water as well as Starbucks Coffee and Tazo Tea always makes a difference. There was also a microwave with popcorn above it and a small fridge. Although the restaurant was closed for a late lunch, I was able to have filling appetizers: Chicken Tender/Fries.

After a nap, I went to the gym. The work-out facility is decent enough, but I did like how it faced the grounds with the glass windows. Since I had to speak early on-campus the next day, the Front desk extended my check-out until 2pm which was just the right amount because I returned at 130pm. All in all, I recommend this place if you are going to be in La Jolla especially UCSD.

2 Thank Giovanni J
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2011
Hello mogpogandaluz,

I was so pleased to read your comments about your recent stay with us! We are very proud of our tropical grounds and our fabulous restaurants, Humphreys and Shooters. I was glad to see that you enjoyed our guest rooms with our special goodies and the workout facility as well. Most of all, I am happy to pass along your compliments to our front desk staff and our entire hotel team as they certainly do work very hard to make every stay memorable for our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences at the Sheraton La Jolla. We hope to see you back again soon!