“a terrible place”

Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Seattle, Washington
“a terrible place”
Reviewed 5 March 2011

i am a multi-year spg platinum traveller and i see good and not so good hotels. this was the worst sheraton i've seen in years. tired, dark, poor furnishings, overpriced parking and at $200 for the night the biggest con i've seen in years.

i checked in. i saw the room. i drove to the hilton on the torrey pines golf course which was superior in every way...and it was cheaper too. i like myself too much to stay at the sheraton la jolla and the $200 bill was simply a sunk cost.

do yourself a favour and do not stay here

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank moxhey
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Hello moxhey,

I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your guest room. While we certainly cannot ensure that each guest will absolutely love our accommodations, please know that our staff will make every attempt possible to make sure your guest room is comfortable and relaxing and I wish we would have had the opportunity to provide you with a fantastic stay and wonderful service. It sounds like you had a successful trip to La Jolla, and I do apologize that our accommodations were not what you were looking for.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I went to San Diego for a conference/my first time in town. The hotel was very conveniently located near UCSD, and the Children's Pool is an easy 10-15 minute drive away. There is also great food in downtown La Jolla, which is very trendy and filled with great options. The staff I checked in with was very helpful and welcoming. I even got a room upgrade for free just for being a Starwood Guest member. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the room was very spacious. Bonus: free wifi and there is also plenty of street parking available so you don't have to pay the $10/day for the lot. It's also a very safe neighborhood - I would definitely stay there again next time I'm in town.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 February 2011

We enjoyed a great belated Valentine's get-away at the La Jolla Sheraton. The desk staff were warm and welcoming. We had drinks at Shooter's where the service was great. Our room in the Executive Suites was gorgeous, and the bed was heavenly. We enjoyed a stroll on the beautifully landscaped grounds to our delicious dinner at Humphrey's where the wait staff, food and setting were all wonderful.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
Hello tkp9389,

I am so pleased to read about your special Valentine's Day stay with us! Thank you for your kind comments about our guest rooms and grounds and the praise for both Humphreys and Shooters. I hope to see you and your sweetheart on a future stay, perhaps you will make this an annual tradition!

Belmont, California
Reviewed 25 February 2011

First, the serive in Humphreys was terrible. We wen to dinner on Friday night 2/18 and it took forever. I had to aske about 6 times for kids menus and to get drinks. There were 9 of us and we all agreed we wouls not come back. The next day my husband, son, and I went to breakfast. I order ceral and milk the milk was sour and smelled very bad. I refused to pay for the bill. I found out later, that someone from our team had the very same experience with BAD milk. This was an aweful experience. I had set up about 10 rroms for our travel hockey team and would never recommend this hotel to anyone. We were also blamed for anothers teams behavior which I did not appreciate.

Hello mavy07,

I was sad to read the comments that you posted about your recent stay with us. I apologize for your experience at our restaurant, as this is certainly not the standard that we strive to keep for all of our guests and restaurant patronts. Please know that our restaurant and bar take pride in both their high quality offferings and service and I feel terrible that you encountered us on an "off" day. We very much appreciate the fact that you brought your traveling team to the Sheraton La Jolla as serving sports teams is a very important part of our business. I apologize if members of your group were offended by any staff member as they made sure that all of our guests have the most comfortable and enjoyable stay possible with us. I hope we may see you on a future trip to La Jolla and have the opportunity to give you a wonderful stay experience.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 February 2011

This is a older Sheraton with nice grounds. Lots of trees, center court-style pool and spa, hidden from the front, back and outer sides of the buildings. This is not your average hotel style but a series of bldgs with 2 floors of rooms. Ours was a Club Room which meant a sofa sleeper, coffee table, nice desk, small kitchen counter, bar-size sink, fridge, microwave, TV and DVD in Cabinet, patio, free wi-fi, free breakfast (up to $12.50 pp) and night-time hors d'oeuvres with 2 drinks each. However, our room and patio faced the rear parking lot and with all club rooms being on the 1st floor, there is a real bit of a "basement" feel. The patio and room are actually BELOW the parking lot level so you get what I mean. The 2 drinks are limited to beer, wine, soda, coffee but the hors d'oeuvres selection is fairly good. The on-site restaraunt is Humphrey's and although the menu is not huge, the food is good and the Hotel is pretty generous with its' 50% off coupons good for lunch and dinner. NOTE: No lunch served on Sat. and Sun. Breakfast items are right off the menu. How can you beat an omelet with toast and potatoes, a pancake stack and two juices (Yes, for two!) for a total bill of $.58. Right! .58 cents. This per the free breakfast passes (with your name and dates) good up to the $12.50 value per person. That is a deal! Location is a couple blocks off the freeway so very easy to find. Downtown La Jolla is only minutes away and San Diego itself just 10 miles or so. Staff is extremely nice and helpful. So, what is the issue here? Obviously the room. We experienced (as did the entire State of CA) a major storm that really hit at night. The gutters and downspouts on the rear of the building are LOUD! But, no rain, no noise. Even the freeway noise is fairly non-existant. Would we go back? Probably. BUT, we would make sure we had a room facing the pool or interior grounds. Last, parking is $10 per night but worth it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UltraRider_08
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
Hello UltraRider_08,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, even though you were here for one of the roughest storms we've had in awhile! We are so proud of our lush, tropical surroundings, which aren't usually found in a location like ours with such close access to a major freeway. Please know that we are happy to take room location requests from our guests and will certainly do everything we can to accommodate them, so I hope you will join us again on a future stay to La Jolla!

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2011

nice clean joint, feels like it was an ex hospital, loud slamming doors from housekeeping in the morning, comfortable beds

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Close to shopping, restaurants and the courtyard is peaceful and beautiful! I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
lajollasheraton, Manager at Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2011
Timberwolves08,

Thank you for your kind note about your recent stay at the Sheraton La Jolla! I am so pleased that you enjoyed the location and our beautiful grounds...I hope we will have the opportunity to see you on a future visit to La Jolla. Stay warm in Minnesota!