“Nice hotel for a vacation at the Shores beach”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle
“Nice hotel for a vacation at the Shores beach”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My husband, our 3 year old and I just stayed a week at this hotel. If you are looking to spend time at the shores this is a good place. We spent a lot of time deciding on our trip to San Diego and should we stay in Coronado, Mission Beach, La Jolla, or Carlsbad. We visited Coronado and was nice but really expensive, I would maybe go back to Mission Beach area next time, but La Jolla was really beautiful and we had an awesome trip.
Location: If you want to be close to The Shores beach, this is about 4-5 blocks away and the walk has a lot of great restaurants and little surf type shops. However, the beach itself was so-so, it is a public beach and was packed with people and also has lots of seaweed on it. However, it is a fun area and if you go down really early, you can get an umbrella and chairs from the front desk.. Also, you can walk to the village from here but it is quite a walk, probably a mile uphill. But the hotel provides a free shuttle service to the village anytime. Also, it is in a residential area near busy streets.
Rooms: I would give the rooms themselves 4-5 stars. One thing to know is if you book through Hotwire, you will be placed on floors 2-5 so no view of the ocean. (One note: I also tried to upgrade a few nights before we checked in and they wouldn't do it since we booked through Hotwire, even to pay extra.) The hotel rooms are nice and fairly quiet and we slept good. The beds are comfortable. There are no bath tubs, just showers.
Pool: There is a great little pool in a garden type area, very private and it is kept very warm, like bath water warm. Not many people used the pool, so we had it to ourselves every day we swam there almost. It felt really good to swim in the evening after a long day of walking, etc. And I checked out the other hotel right at the shores and their pool is smaller than this one.
Service: There were a couple times that something came up but in the end they always took care of it.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 5th floor have ocean views, but you will be below floor 5 if book on Hotwire.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank skyblueocean
CarolineDyal, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Dear Schum,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit! It sounds like you had a wonderful time here and were able to enjoy all of La Jolla to its fullest. I’m so glad your service needs were met by our team and that you and your family were happy with the cozy setting as well as the many amenities offered in the hotel – and especially our beds! We hope to see you again on your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Southern Cal.
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I got a pretty good deal through Priceline (~$110/night inc taxes and fees) but after the $15/night charge for parking, I may have to rethink. On one hand, it was convenient - only 10 min walk to the best beach and I didn't have to worry about finding a parking space. But on the other hand, $15?? $5-10 for guests seems like it would be more hospitable to their customers. Also, I don't think they tell you this at check-in.
The room we had was small but we could see the ocean. We were on the 4th floor but if you had a room to the south, I would think your view would be blocked. Maybe not a problem on higher floors. It was also not so noise-proof.
There is nice terrace where you could have coffee or a drink, but no coffeemaker or fridge in the room. On our way out, I did see that they had coffee in the lobby so I guess you could take a couple cups back up.
Free wireless internet was nice. Connection was reasonably good. FYI - not a secure connection but fine for checking up on things.
The bed was very comfortable and bathroom was clean and stocked normally. The one thing that was AWFUL was that although they had high end bathroom fixtures, the sink handles were essentially slick chrome vertical tubes. Yes- slick metal tubes sticking up (with no handle) that you have to use to turn the water on or off. Hard to do with dry hands and impossible to do with wet ones. Ended up keeping a dry hand towel nearby to wrap around the tube to turn the water on or off. I don't know what Kohler was thinking when they designed that beauty and what the hotel was thinking when they decided to install them.
At any rate, despite the parking price and the funky sink fixture, it was pretty good deal. If you do walk to the beach, it would be good if you had a wagon or something with wheels to carry your stuff.

Room Tip: Ask for room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl12
CarolineDyal, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 12 July 2011
Dear Cheryl12,
Thank you so much for staying with us! I appreciate the feedback - especially that you loved our location! We are indeed only 6 blocks from the beach and if on your next visit you need assistance with carrying beach supplies, our complimentary shuttle is always available to make the trip. As you mentioned, the ocean views from the terraces are stunning and indeed vary in scope with each room, so it is always a good idea to check upgrade availability at check-in. As far as the other concerns mentioned, I am happy to report that our internet is now secure and we continue to explore more technology upgrades for the property. We are also planning some facilities upgrades on property in the near future, so we will absolutely consider the frustrating fixtures as an item to address. Lastly, our parking prices are competitive for the area – though I can understand your frustration if not told at check-in. Our parking rates can be considerably reduced for hybrids, so please inquire upon your next booking for some extra savings!
Thank you again so much for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My best friend and I stayed here for 2 nights in April 2011 for a fun weekend away from our families. We didn't know much about this hotel prior to booking the room, just that it was in La Jolla and it was reasonably priced. We were pleasantly surprised!

The valet guys were awesome! They were super friendly and had a lot of great suggestions for things we could do. They were almost too nice to us (I don't mean that negatively - they just went above and beyond). We had a room on a high floor and were able to see the ocean (very cool!). The corridors to rooms are outside, the hotel is not all enclosed. The room was great - 2 beds, nice TV, clean bathroom. There is a big window/wall between the shower and the bedroom area - so the person in the shower can see outside (and anyone in the room can see the person in the shower). There is a "privacy shade" you can lower if you don't want to be seen.

The location of the hotel is really good. We were able to walk down to the beach, to a great breakfast place called Papalulu's, to an ocean kayak place, and to a minimart. The hotel has a shuttle that can take you into the main part of La Jolla. We used the shuttle and it worked perfectly - it was so nice to not have to get in our car.

They have free internet which worked perfectly!

The spa was broken, which was too bad. But other than that we had a great stay and I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christina04
Fontana, California
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We took a 6 day vacation in La Jolla to relax and enjoy the San Diego Coast. The hotel was beautiful and very clean. The restaurant on the 11th floor, "The Grill", was incredible. They also had a fantastic happy hour and our daughter loved the desserts! It also had an amazing view for watching the sunset! During our trip, we had the pleasure of meeting Jason who was the most amazing concierge and also works valet. Every time we turned around Jason was there asking how things were going and if we needed anything! He remembered our names and was incredibly efficient, always helpful, and we felt that we were so very welcome there. When we returned home and realized that we had left something behind in our room, of course it was Jason who answered the phone and handled the return of our missing item. We know without a doubt it will arrive by mail as promised in a matter of days. We also were so impressed with the lighting system in the guestrooms. Everything is on a dimmer switch and we were able to set the lighting for any mood we wanted. The only negative were the faucets in the bathroom. While they are beautiful and modern, they are difficult to turn on. By the end of the trip, I figured out that I just needed to use a towel to help grip the knob and then it easily turned. In short, great hotel, great staff, great food!!

Room Tip: ask to stay above the 7th floor for the best views
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank hmcevents
toronto, ontario
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I was coming to San Diego for a conference and decided to spend a couple of extra days. Initially decided to stay in the conference hotel for the whole trip but was told that it was worth a visit to La Jolla. After using Hotwire, we trucked up to the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores and were EXTREMELY pleased. What an amazing place!!!

The staff was friendly, the room was beautiful, the location was phenomenal. We were really happy with the quality of the hotel and the outstanding service we received. They just do it right at this hotel and I highly highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dynagrrl
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I recently stayed at Hotel La Jolla. I got married on June 4, my now wife stayed the night before to get ready for the big day. I have to say that I am throughly impressed with the service I recieved from Jason E. at the front desk. I will be staying here again and will request to work with Jason specifically. He is friendly and makes you feel like a VIP. I have stayed in many hotels around the world, I must tip my hat to this one.

Room Tip: Work with Jason E. at the front desk
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Margate, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2011

From the time I arrived until the time I left, I was treated like royalty. Everything was beautiful and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and very considerate. They went out of their way to make my stay wonderful.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the more beautiful a view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family