“Very Nice”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Very nice place to stay. Nice area in La Jolla, close to it all with beach views. Needs a bit of updating on the outside, but rooms were very updated and comfortable. Restaurant was a little over priced. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank krickettlove

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NYC009
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

I've been there often and keep coming back. Rooms are great. View of ocean from excellent restaurant on top floor is best in the city. Best desk receptionist in the business is Lorie. I travel a great deal and there's no one as good. She takes care of everything, is welcoming, amazingly helpful with reservations, rooms, problem-solving. Jason, another desk person at the hotel, is very on the ball and friendly. On my last trip they helped me extend my stay despite heavily booked week at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank NYC009
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Room was a little smaller than I expected, but still comfortable. We spent two weekday nights there and enjoyed it. The hotel was quiet, except for street noise from Torrey Pines Road. ( The hotel is at the intersection of two busy streets, and the combination of traffic and lack of sidewalks makes a walk to the cove, as opposed to La Jolla Shores, a little unpleasant.) The rooms have sliding glass doors on the balconies. If you close the doors, the street noise isn't a problem. Parking was $15 a day, but I knew to expect that. The hotel also has a shuttle that will take you around La Jolla, which is a nice plus and useful given the dearth of parking in La Jolla. The shuttle is free, though you should tip, obviously. If you walk a few block North and then West there is a strip of restaurants on Avenida La Playa, most of which seem quite good. We ate at Sushi Mori and liked it a lot. No bed bugs, as far as I can tell. Only shortcoming was that our room didn't have a refrigerator, which is a pretty minor issue.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aychingado
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

The hotel was pretty close to the beach, could've been closer, but still in walking distance. The pool was very nice and also very warm. Their hot tub wasn't available or there, although they had a picture of a hot tub on their website.
They had free transportation with their shuttle, as you could call to drive you anywhere, and pick you up. They also had free wifi, which was open to anyone.
We also ate at their restaurant which was okay, but was pretty expensive.
Their shower was really nice and high pressure with glass doors.
It was great, and they even had a balcony, although not much of a view.

1 Thank apvaca
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

My wife and I (and our Havanese dog) are about to check out after spending 8 fantastic nights and days at the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores. I have no idea why this hotel is not #1 on Tripadvisor. We stay in 4 and 5 star hotels all over the world and this hotel is as good or better than most of them. And it is far superior to everywhere else we have stayed in La Jolla and San Diego over the years. From the minute we walked to the front desk at 10pm and met Freddie everything was perfect. Freddie said that his favorite room was 907, we trusted him and in the morning we knew he was right. And then Freddie called Piatti's restaurant and arranged for them to serve us even though they were closing. And then there was Laurie who was incredibly caring and made sure we had beach chairs two days in a row (they do have a limited number of fantastic beach chairs). And then there was Jason who changed careers a few months ago, I bet he was damn good at his previous profession but I think he has found his true calling! And then the valet guys, every single one of them professional, charming, smart and great at predicting the weather for the day. And I don't want to forget the housekeeping staff who worked around our dog schedule without a complaint and always did a great job. And finally the staff in the restaurant (which by the way has great food, incredible happy hour and terrific big band jazz on Sundays), from the manager of the restaurant (I can't remember his name) but he and our Havanese are now best friends to the waiter we had twice, Carlos, everyone was terrific. Oh and I can't forget to tell you how great the rooms are, whoever designed the remodel had great taste, everyday I took a shower looking at the ocean, the views from the balcony were incredible, the pool is very warm and there is a free shuttle all day from the hotel, but who needs it when you can walk a few blocks to a beautiful beach and on the way pass by many great and dog friendly restaurants. Bravo Hotel La Jolla, we can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Room 907 will know your socks off!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

My husband, my 5-year-old son, and I stayed at Hotel La Jolla 2 nights this past weekend. After having spent 1 night at a hotel that was beyond horrible (one of those surprise economic hotels booked on Hotwire), we changed hotels and stayed instead at Hotel La Jolla. Hotel La Jolla was just the place we needed to get our vacation started. We were immediately greeted by an extremely friendly valet attendant who made us feel immediately welcome. That awesome customer service extended to the front desk clerk (I believe his name was Freddy) and the bar staff at The Grill. Our room was extremely clean and very trendy with a unique shower. We had a room that had a balcony that faced the Pacific Ocean on the 5th floor. We were within walking distance of downtown La Jolla and the Seal Beach, which was a highlight for my son. The one downside to this hotel for other guests (as I read through the reviews) is the $15/day parking fee, but we couldn't even complain about that. The valet staff was always quick and friendly, and since we were so close to the beach, there was really no need to worry about driving very often as it would have been more of a hassle to find a parking spot anyway. I would say it was nice to not have to worry about parking and only pay $15 per day. The next time we book a trip to San Diego, we will definitely be staying at Hotel La Jolla again!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
CarolineDyal, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Dear 2006michelle1970,
Your review is amazing – thank you so much! We strive to ensure our guests feel genuinely cared for and do our best to extend service beyond expectations. I am so glad you and your family experienced our friendly service in so many ways (especially by our superstar Freddie) and that we started your vacation off right! Thank you as well for noting how close we are to the attractions of La Jolla. With the beach just a short walk away and access to our complimentary shuttle, our hotel offers our guests a little retreat from the usual hassles of the typical beach hotel.
We look forward to seeing you and your family again here at Hotel La Jolla!
All the best,
Caroline
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

My husband, our 3 year old and I just stayed a week at this hotel. If you are looking to spend time at the shores this is a good place. We spent a lot of time deciding on our trip to San Diego and should we stay in Coronado, Mission Beach, La Jolla, or Carlsbad. We visited Coronado and was nice but really expensive, I would maybe go back to Mission Beach area next time, but La Jolla was really beautiful and we had an awesome trip.
Location: If you want to be close to The Shores beach, this is about 4-5 blocks away and the walk has a lot of great restaurants and little surf type shops. However, the beach itself was so-so, it is a public beach and was packed with people and also has lots of seaweed on it. However, it is a fun area and if you go down really early, you can get an umbrella and chairs from the front desk.. Also, you can walk to the village from here but it is quite a walk, probably a mile uphill. But the hotel provides a free shuttle service to the village anytime. Also, it is in a residential area near busy streets.
Rooms: I would give the rooms themselves 4-5 stars. One thing to know is if you book through Hotwire, you will be placed on floors 2-5 so no view of the ocean. (One note: I also tried to upgrade a few nights before we checked in and they wouldn't do it since we booked through Hotwire, even to pay extra.) The hotel rooms are nice and fairly quiet and we slept good. The beds are comfortable. There are no bath tubs, just showers.
Pool: There is a great little pool in a garden type area, very private and it is kept very warm, like bath water warm. Not many people used the pool, so we had it to ourselves every day we swam there almost. It felt really good to swim in the evening after a long day of walking, etc. And I checked out the other hotel right at the shores and their pool is smaller than this one.
Service: There were a couple times that something came up but in the end they always took care of it.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 5th floor have ocean views, but you will be below floor 5 if book on Hotwire.
2 Thank skyblueocean
Dear Schum,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit! It sounds like you had a wonderful time here and were able to enjoy all of La Jolla to its fullest. I’m so glad your service needs were met by our team and that you and your family were happy with the cozy setting as well as the many amenities offered in the hotel – and especially our beds! We hope to see you again on your next visit!