“A perfect experience...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Rafael, California
“A perfect experience...”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is an exceptional hotel, located in beautiful La Jolla near UCSan Diego, with a view of the ocean. From start to finish, it was the best hotel experience my husband and I have ever had. A warm welcoming staff, gorgeous hotel facility and outdoor patio with fireplace and bar, stunning room with balcony - the very finest. We enjoyed dinner in their restaurant so much, we went back for our second night (try the apple fritters with homemade caramel and ice cream). The hotel provided a van to take us to the campus, downtown, etc., so we could leave our car at the hotel. "Wine hour" turned into a delightful cocktail and appetizer experience. We understand that the hotel has undergone a massive remodel and everything is tastefully appointed. (I see a reviewer talked about noisy, but it is very quiet now). It is the warm, courteous staff that really made our stay remarkable. We plan to return whenever we are in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms above the fifth floor have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Deborah_B1111,

Your visit sounds like it was just perfect, I'm so happy you had such a great visit. I don't blame you for eating at Cusp 2 nights in a row, I often can't resist the food myself! Thank you for sharing your kind words about our team, I'm a pretty luck gal to get to work with them each day.

I can't wait to meet you when you come back! I hope you visit us again soon.

Cheers!
Shannon Foster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

We came to the hotel for a wedding weekend with our extended family. The hotel staff was amazing, and so friendly! Each morning, our kids raced downstairs for the complimentary hot chocolate and toppings, and the coffee was superb too. The rehearsal dinner starred outside by the bar, and finished upstairs in the restaurant. Both were so beautiful and the food was great too!

The area by the pool feels so luxurious, you exhale all your stress once you step outside. The kids loved the pool, and we all had a wonderful trip!

The rooms are also really nice! The shower was all glass which startled us at first since it was open to the room(and our kids), but we quickly figured out how to raise the privacy wall. Otherwise, the beds were comfy, the rooms were clean, and it was all very comfortable.

We also loved that it was a quick walk to the beach and restaurants for breakfast.
We would definitely stay again if we're back in La Jolla!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Margo M,

It sounds like you and your family had a great weekend away, I'm so happy you chose to spend it with us. I often exhale all of my stress away just by being in Hiatus, our pool lounge or in the pool area itself, I completely understand what you mean!

I hope you and your family come back soon. Hopefully the weather heats up enough that next time you won't need the hot chocolate to stay warm.

Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Kimpton leads the way for Value and forward ahead thinking. As a business agent, I am always traveling last moment and with my dog. Sometimes I make last minute reservations and the other hotels I usually stay at are not in the cities I go to. Kimpton has numerous properties, they act like a W chain, treat their guest special, use the technology to keep in touch and when you get there, it is contempo chic. Sure the bed is low, hey all the better in my opinion. Hotel is quiet, dog areas aplenty, Pool looks sexy (I glanced down and imagined it filled with a bevy of gals) and the staff actually are happy to see you. This hotel is perfect for seeing La Jolla and the price is right. FYI, the Artwalk lands first friday of every month in La Jolla and Galleries like Legends and Monarch offer the best of the world and their staff treat you like Princes. La Jolla is all about the Great food, Great Art and coming home to this hotel makes the trip!

Room Tip: Ask for high, away from any nightclub noise (it looks like the pool may have late night craziness)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear edward b,

Wow, it sounds like we really made an impression on you, thanks so much for sharing! I'm so happy you had such a great stay, we can't wait to have you back again soon!

Cheers!

Gold River
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Stayed here 4 nights. Started off on the 10th floor, however, loud traffic noise from La Jolla Parkway/Torrey Pines Rd as well as noise from restaurant above (11th floor) unbearable (they hadn't even opened yet!). Could hear every step taken by restaurant staff, as well as every chair dragged across the room. Luckily there was room available to move to the 8th floor. No noise from above, however, plenty of noise from elevators (was two doors from elevators). Could hear some street noise, especially sirens from emergency responders, as well as our neighbors in next room. Rooms were otherwise clean, good size, nice decor, small balcony with nice ocean views. Excellent room & valet service. Lounge was very nice. Location of the hotel not a close walk to the shores, even tho advertised as '...Beach lies just blocks away'. I am a walker, but it was just a bit too far to be enjoyable. All staff very nice and helpful. Most likely would not return unless something done to reduce the noise in the rooms.

Room Tip: Request room ending in '10', this will get you furthest from traffic and elevator noise. Wou...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Susan L,

Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review! It sounds like you had a pretty noisy stay, I'm so sorry to hear that! I'd love to chat further about your stay. Please feel free to call me directly.

858-551-3690
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This review is long over-due as I stayed there in November. The property has been renovated to a high standard with typical Kimpton chic. The rooms are lovely. The staff was very accomadating. My only criticism with the room was that the bed was a bit low. Incredible meal in the hotel restaurant-----best hotel food in a long time. The waiter "Teddy was great. My only criticism with the hotel was the valet parking. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. Also, the shuttle to La Jolla village was so slow in responding that we took a taxi back. Would still love to go back

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
Dear scollinson79,

Thank you for staying with us in November and for taking the time to write a review about your experience, I truly appreciate it. I'm happy to see that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you are able to come back to visit again soon.

La Jolla, California, United States
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We spent last Saturday night at the hotel to provide a special sleepover party for our 10 year old daughter. We stayed in adjoining rooms (406 + 407) on the fourth floor near the elevators (which are located across the hallways from the room doors). On the good side we loved the relaxed feel of the pool area and outside lounge. The staff was kind and accommodating and the celebratory dinner we had at the top floor restaurant was memorable. We know the building was renovated and is not new but, to be honest, staying in any room by the two elevators means being subjected to whoosh-whoosh and bang-bang-bang sounds all night long. The beds in the rooms are on square-cornered wooden platforms and, yes, you will stub your toe at least once.

Room Tip: Please stay away from the elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank GrantBentley
Dear GrantBentley,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your 10 year old daughter's sleepover party. I was so happy to see that you enjoyed the many amenities that we offer here. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the elevator noise. I am pleased to inform you that we are currently working on a solution to address this concern. I can assure you that the next time you are on property, the elevators will not deter from your otherwise fantastic experience.

Thanks again for staying and for taking the time to fill out a review.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
858-551-3690
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Hotel La Jolla with our little pooch. It was her first stay in a "nice" hotel and it was great to be welcomed in with opened arms.

- I read the reviews about the bar and elevator being a little noisy, and as we wanted a quiet getaway I asked for a quiet room and a high floor. They accommodated our request and gave us a great room at the end of the hotel, which still had really nice views. We were on the 6th floor, so not that high, but we did book late so perhaps all the other quiet rooms were already allocated. No problems.

- Staff were friendly and warm and the hotel had a great buzz about it.

- We walked down to dinner at Piatti (great Italian) which was really nice.

- Room was very clean and they even included a dog bed and nice large stainless steel dog bowls for our dog. Bed was extremely comfortable.

- Had an excellent breakfast at Cusp the next morning, and whilst the service was a little slow - the food was excellent.

One thing is that the hotel is located near La Jolla Shores - a great protected beach for swimming etc - but not really in the main 'town' area of La Jolla where you can go shopping and sea the seals and experience the lovely parks by the cliffs. I did hear the hotel has a courtesy bus though, so you could use that. We had a car so it wasn't a problem for us.

I will stay here again for sure.

:-)

Room Tip: pay extra for a higher floor as they standard rate only gets you up to the 5th floor. Ask for a roo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EP_CP_PP
Dear EP_CP_PP,

First off, you ROCK! Thanks for the great review! I love seeing feedback such as your as it appears that you were truly able to experience the hotel and many of its amenities. I'm happy to see that your pooch was so well taken care of and that our service exceeded your expectations. We do have a shuttle service that will take you to and from downtown La Jolla, feel free to have us shuttle you around next time so you don't have to worry about parking in the village.

We can't wait to have you with us again!