“Fantastic stay at Hotel La Jolla” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Missouri
“Fantastic stay at Hotel La Jolla”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I surprised my husband with a trip to La Jolla for our anniversary. We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. I do not have one negative thing to say. We stayed in room 708, the view was beautiful of the ocean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The staff surprised us with a cake, champagne and a Happy Anniversary balloon! We felt like they went the extra mile to welcome us and acknowledge our reason for the stay.

This hotel is a short walk or bike ride (the hotel has FREE bike for you to use) to the ocean.

I found it very helpful every time my husband and I had valet pull up our rental car for an outing the gentleman who assisted us asked if we needed directions to where we were heading. Upon our return after each outing the valet inquired about where we had gone and if we were enjoying ourselves.

The room was very clean and modern. My husband and I are both very picky about beds and we were impressed with how comfortable our bed was.

I would definitely visit Hotel La Jolla again and again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Shannon F, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Hey April!

Thank you for the great 5 star review! I am glad you were able to celebrate a special occasion with us. If there is one thing I know for sure about my team is that they love to make special occasions even a little more special with their personal touches! Glad you were able to experience that with us. We look forward to having you back to celebrate many more occasions.

Cheers,
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

The walls in our room were very thin, you can hear EVERYTHING going on around you. The beds are worn out and the room does not have a coffee maker. Overnight parking is $29 per car! The building is a bit old. They've done a great job with the decor - reminds me of the 70s.

The ocean facing rooms have a great view. The staff and service were excellent. Location isn't great - you'll have to drive to most places, but then again, there aren't many hotels in La Jolla with a better location.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FortyEightFan
Hey FortyEightFan,

Thank you for the review. I am bummed we didn't 'WOW' you! Coffee makers are available upon request, so next time you stay please indicate during the reservation process that you would like one and we will have it preset in the guest room. I am glad you liked our decor and that our staff took great care of you.

La Quinta, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Twice in last month have stayed at Hotel La Jolla. We chose the hotel for its pet-friendly environment, something we've enjoyed at other Kimpton hotels. But this place is warm and charming even if one's not traveling with a pet. The décor is contemporary in a chic-vintage way, very attractive. The restaurant & bar, Cusp, on the top floor, offers amazing views of La Jolla and the ocean. The downstairs bar, Hiatus, is technically outdoors, but tented and heated, with roaring fireplace; great place to listen to mellow live music and enjoy a cocktail and appetizer. The bonus here is that pets are allowed in Hiatus. The free Wine Hour from 5-6 in the lobby is a pleasant time to meet other guests and let the doggies go nose-to-nose. Owners who realized their dogs weren't exactly socialized seemed polite about containing or removing their pets from the action.
Our bedroom was nicely decorated (we stayed in same room both visits), great mattress and pillows, our bathroom shower had great water pressure...always a good thing. My husband used the fitness center on first floor. The outdoor pool was nicely heated, but we didn't give it a try. The staff were all pleasant, warm, and efficient. Very convenient location to beaches, highways, golf, etc. The price is a great value compared to other places in the area, we will definitely return!

Room Tip: First floor rooms have roomy patios, higher rooms have smaller balconies. But higher rooms have more...
1 Thank Lisab
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the great 5 star review! Thank you for choosing to stay with us on multiple occasions, we appreciate your loyalty! Your review made me smile, because you have really experienced our entire hotel, from Cusp to Hiatus, to the pool, and our 4 legged friends! I am glad our staff takes such great care of you when you stay, some may think I am biased but I think they rock also!

Look forward to having you back next time you are in La Jolla!

Easton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Rooms are small and the view is of the surrounding neighborhood-ocean in the far distance. You can walk to a beach but getting to downtown La Jolla is a long walk in a high traffic area. Better to drive. Staff is very friendly and helpful. There is a wonderful restaurant on top of the hotel, The Cusp. No breakfast or coffee makers in the room but a Starbucks is within walking distance.

Room Tip: It's an active hotel-lots of wedding activity-go to a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hi Margarita200,

Thanks for the 4 star review! I am glad you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. Next time you join us, simply request a coffee maker during the reservation process and we will have it pre-set in your room for you. We don't have them in all of the guest rooms because of our complimentary coffee service from 6am-10am each morning, but we understand the need for a little caffeine boost throughout the day.

Look forward to seeing you next time you are in La Jolla again.

Glendale, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

The group I was traveling with negotiated a group rate for this hotel for our 3-4 night stay in La Jolla. Everything was within walking distance of the hotel. The staff was most gracious, especially the valets. That almost made up for the required valet parking fee of $28/day. The room was comfortable and had some amenities I hadn't seen before e.g. umbrella, yoga mat and clear shower wall facing bedroom. Great for scoping the view of La Jolla Shores while showering, but took me aback somewhat, until I found the shade you could lower.

My only complaint was with the staff at our group breakfast. This group leaves you on your own for meals and I don't think the restaurant staff was prepared for this. I sat at a table with a couple and another single and it took me three tries to get a bill for just my breakfast. When I complained in the hotel's post trip survey, I did receive a nice e-mail from the manager apologizing for the snafu and promising to address the training issue.

I enjoyed the decor of the room and the public areas and the view from my tiny balcony. Pretty nice renovation of an older property.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Pamela,

Thank you for the detailed 4 star review! I am glad you had a great time with us. I am glad you enjoyed some of our fun and different in room amenities! The shower is little tricky, but I am glad you found the shade. Thank you for sharing your dining experience. I am glad the restaurant manager reached out to you upon your departure, but I will certainly follow up again.

We look forward to having you back next time you are in La Jolla!

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Hotel La Jolla is great spot and very accommodating to pets! The staff is extremely friendly and the hotel is chic and comfortable. The location is good...steps to the beach and restaurants...about a mile a a half from downtown La Jolla. Paying for parking is expensive! But you can conveniently park in the neighborhood around the hotel for free.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the bar are beautiful, but can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
We love you Migsdy!

Thanks for taking time to write a great 5 star review about your stay! Glad to read you and your 4 legged friends both enjoyed your time here. We know making pets comfortable is the way to their owners’ hearts.

Look forward to seeing you next time you are in La Jolla!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Kimpton always gets it right and Hotel La Jolla is no exception - great rooms, lobby, restaurant. Staff couldn't be more helpful - never overbearing, but ready to do anything they possibly can to make your stay special. Front desk, parking/bike valets, housekeeping, bartenders, waitstaff - all great!
I don't love that they charge for parking when they have a large dedicated lot, but it probably allows them to charge less for rooms for those (like us) who aren't driving - possibly part of their "green" policy.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the street - lots of traffic noise from two busy streets.
Green Features: So appreciate that Kimptons have such green policies!!
Hey Traveler,

Thank you for the great 5 star review! I have to agree with you our staff is AWESOME! I am glad they took such great care of you while you were here. We look forward to having you stay again next time you are in town.