“Good, could have been great.”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winter Park, Florida
“Good, could have been great.”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Great location, valet's are cool, bartender Josie was nice, front desk Chantel and Guillermo were very good. Room was awesome and the views were amazing. Bad parts were; not enough propane tanks for the heater's at the bar, they rented out the restaurant upstairs for a Christmas party but did not inform the guest, for the happy hour they did not have enough snacks that went with the wines (one round of pizza rolls). For a Kimpton Hotel you would expect better service. More like 3.5 stars.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
btran321, thanks for taking time to shre your feedback, it means the world to us! I'm so happy to see you enjoyed you stay. I'm sorry about the shortage of apps at wine hour, it sounds like we should have anticipated for more guests at wine hour for sure. We will ensure our guests are sufficiently informed in the future when the restuarant is unavailable, thank you for that feedback as well.

We've changed up our wine hour a bit and are offering more of a variety of small bites, I think you'll enjoy it on your next visit.

Hotel La Jolla

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I had a such great experience staying at Hotel La Jolla during a trip last year, so I decided to give it another try this year. Well, I wasn't disappointed. The staff was extra helpful and friendly (especially Charrah (sp?) at the front desk). And the views from my room were amazing. Great views of the ocean and cliffs of La Jolla from anywhere in my room (including the shower). I will definitely stay here again. In fact, I already booked my next stay when I return in three weeks. I had planned on staying in another location closer to my work, but had such a great experience that I decided that extra travel time was worth it.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
thestonewalker from Fargo, North Dakota, you have just made my day! Wow, I am so thrilled to see that you had such a fantastic visit to our little jewel....TWICE and even more knowing that you will be back to visit us again very soon! I sure hope I will have the opportunity to meet you on our upcoming visit.

P.S. I agree with you that Charrah really is the best!

Have a great day!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Had a great stay last month at the Hotel La Jolla. The lobby is really cool, nice California beach vibe. They have some bikes that you can borrow from the valet guys to cruise around the area which was nice. The location isn't perfect, its a short walk into town, but not a big deal if you have a car. About a five minute walk to some restaurants and just a bit further to the beach, I walked over nearly everyday so not too bad.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor so you can see the beach/ocean over the trees
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
We love you too miamicane77! Thank you for taking time to write a review and for giving us 5 STARS, woot woot! I'm so happy to see that you had such a great visit to our little jewel. It sounds like you were able to get a lot of walking in during your recent visit, don't forget that if you want to relax a bit, we have a house car that would be happy to take you to and from your various destinations in La Jolla. I hope you'll be back to visit us again soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Let me first start off by saying that I am a big fan of the Kimpton brand, so I would probably take the review down a notch if not for the experience I have had with Kimpton overall. So on to the review.....
We stayed here for two evenings on our way back home from Hawaii. Because our flight was arriving at midnight I contacted Kimpton beforehand to let them know that we would probably not check in until 1:00-2:00 a.m. They assured me it was no problem and that my King room would be available. Fast forward to check in and the room was not available. Instead, the woman at the front desk tried to tell me that I had booked a Queen bed Garden view room (ground level). When I showed her my confirmation email for the King room, she then admitted that my room had been given away and that the hotel was sold out for the night. She was not overly apologetic about the issue, but after I expressed my dissatisfaction she replied by saying they would move us to an Ocean view King room in the morning. At this point we were so exhausted that we just went to our Queen bed room and slept.
The Queen bed room was very noisy, as it was right next to the elevators on the ground level (so you can imagine how busy that location is). It was really hard to sleep because it kept sounding like people were going to come in the room. When I woke up I called the Kimpton In Touch Number to express my figure out why our room had been given away. After I let the representative know what happened, I was shocked to learn that the special request had been deleted from the reservation notes. By the grace of God, I was very fortunate to get the same representative that I had spoken with when I notified Kimpton of the late arrival because she remembered the request and confirmed that someone had erased the notes section to look like I never made the request. She offered to contact the General Manager for the hotel and said someone would get back to me. Well, I never heard from the GM. Instead, we got a call from the front desk saying our other room was ready. I figured we would hear from someone at some point so we went upstairs and settled in. This room was definitely nicer and quieter. The small terrace was also really nice for relaxing and looking out over La Jolla. The only downside to the room was the lack of privacy for the shower/restroom. We didn't totally mind because we are married but I could see how some might not like it.
In any event, we never heard from the General Manager. Instead, they sent a note up with a bottle of wine saying they hope we enjoy our room. I will say I appreciated the gesture, but the reality is our room was still given away despite us calling AND they still charged us full price for the Queen room. Add that to the fact that there was some questionable integrity by the front desk person, and it just comes in at a sub-par Kimpton experience. While we did enjoy our second night on property, I am not sure that I could truly recommend or return based on the first night and the way it was handled.
As for the property itself, it has a really cute beach-y vibe. Location is great and convenient to everything in La Jolla (and there is a Starbucks right next door). We had drinks at Cusp and enjoyed that too (although we should have gone around sunset to take advantage of the views). So again, it is a nice property and a good value in La Jolla - but the service really needs to be stepped up to Kimpton level.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the ground floor rooms or any rooms near the elevator (it can be very loud).
2 Thank SobeMMM
Dear SobeMMM,

Thank you so much for your time in writing this review and for the 4 STARS given your disappointing experience. I am at a loss for words on how this situation was handled on our end. Knowing you would be arriving late, we certainly should have ensured your reservation was in tact prior to your arrival. Our Director of Rooms was on property during the resolution of th ordeal with your reservation and was in touch with your husband throughout the day. I feel absolutely terrible that we did not connect regarding your experience. If you would like to discuss this situation further, I would love to chat with you about it.

You are welcome to contact me at the number below at your convenience.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com
858-551-3690
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had a company event at the Hotel La Jolla (Kimpton) with rooms, poolside welcome event and more for 15 high profile clients and executives in town for the Farmers Open. The rooms are beautiful the renovations here are perfect and they were very clean. We as well as our clients truly enjoyed the hotel, staff, services, the food was amazing, the views and location all more then what we had expected.

We are booking this event again next year thank you Hotel La Jolla team we appreciate your attention to detail. You should all feel cery proud you were truly amazing and we appreciate it!

See you soon for Saturday or Sunday brunch was thrilled to hear about this we are brunch lovers!

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel has to be great just check in and enjoy yourself! Each room was clean, quiet...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Oh Tammy E, this is such a FANTASTIC review! Thank you so much for all of your flattering comments and the 5 STAR review, you've left us blushing. We can not wait to have your group back again next year!

Moline, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a beautiful hotel and very close to the beach and many nice restaurants. The cruiser bikes that you can use are fun to take down to the beach but it is a difficult ride to La Jolla Cove. We were given a room on the second floor which was like an old motel room with the entrance on the outside, I believe the other floors had entrances on the inside. I am not sure if we were given this room because we were traveling with our dog or because of the special rate we used. But even though we were on a low floor, we did have a balcony with nice chairs and somewhat of a view. The room was nice but there is no bathtub (and I am told none of their rooms have tubs). Upon request we were provided a Keurig coffeemaker in our room which was nice. Overall nice hotel and very beautiful lobby area,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Lori S, thank you so much for the wonderful 4 STAR review! I am so happy to see that you had such a lovely visit to our jewel. I can assure you that all of the rooms have exterior entrances allowing you to soak up a nice breeze of fresh ocean air while walking to your modern guestroom with the exception of our garden patio rooms on the first floor. Don't forget that you can take a rest from those bikes when heading into the village, our valets are happy to take you to and from in our house car. I hope you'll be able to have a little getaway from that cold weather in Illinois and come back to visit us again soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Spectacular service, luxe rooms and hip and comfortable common areas make this the perfect hotel in La Jolla Cove. On a quick escape with my daughter before a college departure, we enjoyed s'mores in the evening and yummy appetizers and beverages, including a relaxing evening wine hour in front of a welcoming fire pit. Just a 5 minute walk to the beach and great restaurants - be sure to visit The Cheese Shop and Piatti. The hotel's own 11th floor restaurant, Cusp, offers delicious Italian entrees in a cozy luxurious setting with stunning ocean views. Fantastic for couples, families and business travelers - Hotel La Jolla is the perfect place with something for everyone. The service is warm and welcoming and really extraordinary.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan E
Susan E, I am so flattered that you chose us for your mother/daughter getaway. You've described our beautiful jewel in the most eloquent way, we may not let you leave next tiime. We might just steal some of that verbiage for our upcoming website edits....we'll credit you in the foot notes. :) In all seriousness, I am thrilled we knocked it out of the park for you and your daughter and we can not wait to welcome you back.