“Great experience, very attentive staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Poynette, Wisconsin
“Great experience, very attentive staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

From the moment we entered the lobby and were greeted with glasses of wine, we knew we would enjoy our stay here.

The room was clean and offered a great ocean view, and beds were very comfortable.

The best thing about this hotel were the valets/ complementary car service! They were quick to offer recommendations for restaurants for any palate and price, and drop you off at the door! Thank you to Phil for his wonderful restaurant recommendations, and to all the drivers for showing us around La Jolla. We had a great time, and highly recommend this hotel. Wish we'd had more than 2 days.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Chris1876
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
What a perfect review, thank you Chris1876 from Wisconsin! Reading your review is tremendously gratifying, especially seeing that Phillip made your stay so special. 2 days is definitely not enough for La Jolla so please come back and see us again soon, we can't wait to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Had a good stay here in March. The hotel is a few mins walk from La Jolla and 5 mins drive to La Jolla Cove. All the staff were very friendly and the hotel had the usual Kimpton touches (daily wine hour, raid the bar voucher etc.). The valet parking is very expensive at $28 per 24 hours - there's no self park - and check in is quite late, but other than that it's great. The rooms are very smartly decorated. The only minor issue with mine is that the floor is tiled outside (the area near the elevators) and its noisy when people wheel cases across it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DJ_Billy
DJ_Billy,

Thank you for the 4 STAR review! I am so happy to see that you had such a wonderful visit and that you enjoyed your interactions with our team so much! I'm so sorry for the delayed check-in you experienced, we've addressed the issue causing the room cleaning to have been delayed. Thank you again for the great review and for taking the time to share your feedback with the TA Nation! I can't wait to welcome you back!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The initial shock included the mandatory Valet Parking for $28/day (beware, there are no other options); which was followed by an hours wait to get my room as I checked in at 4 p.m. and was told my room was not ready. As I sat in the lobby waiting, it took 45 mins for the first person to ask if I needed anything.

Despite a terrible Check In experience which was less than friendly; I would like to commend the Valet Staff. Phillip had a smile on his face every second I saw him and was very helpful by sharing some local tips to avoid traffic, and places to venture to. Danny met me with a smile every morning as he reached for my keys to dash out to get my car without hesitation.

Housekeeping could use a lesson or two on how to make beds and leave the right amount of towels.

But overall, the location is conveniently between both La Jolla Cove and the Shores which both were within walking distance.

1 Thank BernieMB
Ouch Bernie MB, this review stings quite a bit. I'm so sorry to see that you had such a disappointing check-in experience, I can certainly understand how that started your stay off the in the absolute wrong direction. Thank you for your candor with regard to the front desk and housekeeping, your experience has been used as a training for our team. Phillip and Danny are the best, thank you for the great feedback! I hope you'll give us another try when you visit La Jolla. I assure you these issues won't exist when you return.
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We recently stayed here for four nights and loved every minute. Our kids loved the s'mores night and hula hoop competitions and the parents loved the happy hour in the lobby and the complimentary massages on Wednesday evening! Every staff member that we encountered was extremely helpful and friendly. Everyone who worked there seemed so happy - management must be doing a great job! We will return for sure and have already recommended this hotel to several friends.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Oh Jacks 1969, you ROCK! I am so happy you and your family had such a fantastic visit to our hotel. You painted a perfect picture of how we treat our guests and how we like to take care of kids visiting Hotel La Jolla. This review was a treat, especially all of the nice comments about our staff, they truly are the best! I hope to have you and your family back again soon!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

With every trip I spend a lot of time on trip advisor and research and look at pictures and comments and once again I chose well. first time at a Kimpton but for sure not last. my friend who has family in La Jolla had recommended La Valencia Hotel but after reading the reviews etc I hesitated and chose this hotel and am sure glad I did. Excellent choice! from the minute we arrived to the minute we left. We stayed for 5 nights. Friendly staff. clean, modern, great view, Starbuck and Subway are just around the corner so every morning my husband would get my 8 year old son a subway for breakfast while I got ready. Coffee and tea in lobby every morning, wine in afternoon all free. Heated pool which was fantastic. I am always cold and hardly go in the water even in Mexico but I used the pool and it was awesome. you can walk to beach and restaurants. excellents location, we had rented a car and went to lego land, zoo and USS Midway museum which were all excellent. The hotel has a car and can take you to downtown La Jolla if you don't want to bother with taking your car and parking. We did this twice and it was great. the restaurant you eat at can phone them and they come pick you up. Had dinner at Eddie V's in La Jolla which was excellent. one night ate at Cusp which is a restaurant on the top floor of the hotel. It was OK. the pasta was way too saucy for our liking and my sea food dish was more like a jambalaya which was not what I expected but still good. I most definitely plan to go back to La Jolla and will 100% stay here again. also note that I don't like pet hair so I had asked to have the room deep cleaned before hand and there was no problem. At first I was hesitant choosing a pet friendly hotel but everything seemed so great reading other reviews that I thought I can live with a hair or two but that was not even an issue. The parking is expensive like others say but just do it and add it to your cost of travel.

1 Thank Mojy2013
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Mojy2013, I must say that you review is my absolute favorite so far this year for many, many reasons. I am just tickled pink that you not only chose us over a competitor but that you were so happy you did that! The detail included in your review is fantastic, It sounds like you had the perfect experience with us. I can't wait to welcome you back again. Thank you again!
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

After looking at many hotels to possibly stay.. we are so happy we booked this one! They by far exceeded the level of customer service I've ever been provided. From the warm welcome to the courtesy shuttle that took us to dinner and back. They gave wonderful suggestions on restaurants that provided amazing views of the ocean. We also ate at the restaurant on the 11th floor where they were so kind as to give us complementary champagne to toast our 4 year wedding anniversary. The room itself is modern, and the comfortable beds will have you asleep within minutes. The view from our 6th floor room was of the ocean, and it faced west so we were able to see the sun set's which was breathtaking. My husband and I didn't want to leave and we will definitely be back. Thank you.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diana Z
Um…Diana Z=awesome should be the name of this review! WOW! Thank you so much! Your review was amazing and I am so grateful you chose us for your visit. It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful wedding anniversary (Happy Anniversary btw!) and I am so happy we were a special part of it all! Thank you again and we can’t wait for you to return!
Ooltewah, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Really enjoyed our recent stay at the Hotel La Jolla. After a rough first night due to the road noise we asked to switch rooms and we were graciously accommodated. The rooms at the south end of the property should be avoided (we had room 900). If the hotel had been full, we would have checked out.

After the first night we really enjoyed the room, the service, the people (especially the valet parking staff), and Kusp, the top-floor restaurant.

Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: At all costs, avoid the rooms on the far south side of the property. They are extremely noisy.