“Friendly all round”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hotel has ocean view and only a few minutes walk to beach. Rooms are adequately furnished and are newly renovated. I requested room on a high floor initially- the view was amazing but the noise from the main road and garage was extremely loud . I was relocated to the 6th floor and slightly further away from the road which was slightly better. Staff are exceptionally friendly always willing to please.
The bathroom is small and has shower and a single basin- basic and spotlessly clean- always plenty of towels.
We had a late snack dinner and drinks at the Cusp restaurant- excellent presentation and food with truly spectacular views of La Jolla.
This is a good value, well positioned hotel - parking cost $28-00 a day, which we felt was a high price to pay. This hotel does however offer free morning tea and coffee as well as happy hour free wine.

Room Tip: Try get room as far wast from main road as possible
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I found this trip through Expedia. I didn't know the La Jolla area at all and gambled on the location. My daughter stayed at a Kimpton in Washington and loved it. We stayed 3 nights and had a wonderful time! La Jolla is such a beautiful location. The hotel service was outstanding. We walked to the ocean 5 minutes and jumped in the waves. We loved the area and hotel and will go again! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room in front of the elevator was noisy with the wind howling one night. Put a towel by the door to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I was there for business and stayed 5 nights and I really didn't want to leave at the end of my stay there. Great location for easy access to the surrounding area and a short walk or bike ride (using the complimentary bikes) to the beach and local restaurants. Rooms were spacious and modern. I found all of the staff to be genuinely friendly and helpful. Happy hour at the pool bar or at the Cusp bar was good value and the evening wine/beer reception was an added bonus. The pool was small but it wasn't crowded. Although located on a busy road I can't say I really noticed the traffic sounds. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle into La Jolla which was really handy. In all a wonderful stay and I would definitely choose this hotel on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I were married in La Jolla five years ago and visited the Hotel La Jolla this past weekend to celebrate our anniversary. I am a huge Kimpton fan and a member of the InTouch loyalty program. I booked a room at the hotel using one of the May InTouch special offers, which was to include two local beers upon check in. When we arrived, we did not receive the beers (nor was any mention made of them), but we were offered a complimentary bottle of champagne in honor of our anniversary and were told it would be sent right up to the room. An hour later, it still had not been delivered, so we headed down to the pool area for the hosted evening wine reception, which was lovely. When we returned to the room an hour later, the champagne still had not been delivered, so we inquired about the beers and champagne and were once again told that they would be sent right up. An hour and a half later, they still had not arrived, so we headed out to dinner and assumed that they would be delivered while we were out. However, when we returned two and a half hours later, they still were nowhere to be found and we decided to give up on ever receiving them.

Overall, the hotel is nicely decorated, the staff seemed friendly, and the room was comfortable, but I can't help but feel a bit disappointed about the experience since they did not deliver on the promise made.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 54jessicaw
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by the decor and amenities. Everyone that worked there we encountered was very friendly. Nice room with great balcony view of the ocean. Pet friendly too! Would definitely come back!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We always enjoy Kimpton Hotels, so decided to try this one for a quick getaway to La Jolla. The underlying property is a rather uninspired 60s construction high rise on busy La Jolla Shores Drive, which means the wall were rather thin (door banging from other guests was annoying) the pool area very small, and the road noises were rather loud. But both my wife and I found the property to be very well appointed in a edgy sort of way. The entrance drive was lined with trees and fire sticks that gave it a rather tropical feel, the lobby was open and very inviting, and the staff was very friendly (especially the valets). The room was wonderful, tastefully decorated, and the bath was more than acceptable. We only ate at the restaurant once, but I had a wonderful lamb burger and a glass of wine while we enjoyed a wonderful view of the ocean. All in all, we would consider returning, but there are better properties to choose from, especially if you wanted to be in downtown La Jolla or downtown San Diego proper. For us, it was a reasonable value for a last minute booking, and being in an uncontested area made it easier to get around when we chose to.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dimitrivaz
Reviewed 14 May 2014

When in La Jolla, you can't do much better than this Kimpton property. Marvelous views of the Pacific, a terrific restaurant on the top floor, charming and friendly service, clean, stylish and innovative rooms. We loved it. The pool is small and a bit cramped, but perfectly serviceable. The various pool toys are a nice touch. The poolside bar, with fun furnishings, friendly bartender, and warming fireplace, was a delight. I only wish the hotel were a bit closer to the beach -- it's not too far to walk, maybe 12 minutes or so, but it is a bit of a shlep.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family