“Good Location, Great Views, Nice touches”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 June 2014

From the outside this hotel looks a bit like a huge concrete slab, scarring the landscape but inside there is definitely more charm and they've done a good job with the recent re-fit. The rooms are laid out well and the decor is appealing. The TV is huge and I quite liked how you could look into the room from the shower – there is a vanity blind for times when this is not appropriate! There were a few stains on the furniture and the towels were a little small and rough but on the flipside, all the staff were friendly and helpful and I loved the little touches like free bloody maries in the lobby on Sunday morning (it was memorial day weekend!) and the animal print robes. The view from the restaurant is unbelievable although the food was only average and a little overpriced. The valet charge was high but I just factored it into the room rate and it was still good value for money and just a 15 minute walk into La Jolla made it perfect for what we were looking for. It's not luxury by any means but does the job!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you TravellerNLa for the 4 Star review! I am so happy to see that you had such a great visit with us and that you enjoyed the room and the amenities we offer. Thank you for the candid feedback regarding the housekeeping items from your room, we will use this feedback as a training tool for our team. Please feel free to contact me directly, I'd love to hear a bit more about your restaurant experience.

Thank you again for choosing us and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

All my best,
Hotel La Jolla
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We love Kimpton Hotels because they are quirky, fun, and allow pets. This one is not in La Jolla village but has a lovely bar and fireplace area, fun "game night," a goldfish in the room, and smores for the fireplace.

The walk to La Jolla village is longer than expected but there is a car shuttle you can take.

Super friendly staff and fun atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JodieGuest

JodieGuest,

Thank you for the 5 STAR review! I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. I am especially pleased to see that you enjoyed the amenities we've added as well. I hope you'll be back to visit us again soon.

Cheers!
Hotel La Jolla

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here in May and really enjoyed it. The staff were very helpful and the facilities were excellent.
I really enjoyed the personal touches like the 'welcome furry friends' at the door (for dog lovers of course) and the free bike hire. We took a couple of these to cycle down to the beach which is just a few minutes away.
The hotel seems to have been re-decorated quite recently, and the reception, bar and pool areas are really stylish. A glass of wine by the outdoor fire is a treat.
I really recommend booking a room on one of the higher floors as the view to the sea and the sunset is beautiful.

Room Tip: Higher floors above the trees to get a better view across the ocean. (we were on level 10)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review Formica79! I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed all of the amenities of the hotel. It always makes my day to see that our team had such a positive impact on a guests stay and they clearly lived up to expectations for you. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Cheers!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

First, let's keep in mind that this was completely renovated from being a Holiday Inn Express motel a few years back, so everything they've done with the existing building is that much more amazing.
Walking or driving onto the grounds, you feel like you're walking into a tropical getaway. I love the palm tress, airy lobby and open pool/bar area with comfy but very chic sectionals.

Check in was prompt; we received our keys and got our room on the 9th floor, which had a beautiful ocean view (all rooms face the ocean, but below the seventh floor is obscured by a tree line). I loved the personal balcony, even though it was a bit small, and the fact that the wall shared by the bathroom and bedroom had a portion that was entirely transparent, right where the shower is. So you can watch your roommate shower, if so desired, or close the mechanized curtain for privacy. Some people find open-air hallways to be low-class, but I think it blends perfectly with the warm La Jolla weather and ocean breezes!

The evening wine reception is very generous, as always, with some perfectly acceptable wines. They even provided some small appetizers, and as an InTouch member, they made sure to bring extras directly to me without asking, and checked in to make sure the lobby temperature wasn't too cold for me- which made me feel *very* special.
Note that parking is half off if you have a hybrid vehicle.

I would stay here literally every day if it were possible.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Oh sudobuntu, you have made my week with this 5 Star review! It is perfectly worded and just absolutely lovely all together. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed the peek-a-boo showers as well, there is nothing better than showering with the pacific ocean in the distance! I wish we could welcome you back everyday! Come back and visit us again soon.

All my best,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a quick 1 might stay over Memorial Day weekend. Our entire experience was great from the beginning. Check-in was quick, and Charrah was very friendly and helpful. Every staff member we interacted with was courteous, fun, and provided wonderful service.
The Hiatus bar has a great patio, and the bartender was friendly and offered to customize cocktails based on our preferences, and the Coastal Hour in the lobby was great. How do you say no to free wine!?!?

The room was very clean and updated. Not gigantic by any means but plenty of space. The bed was comfortable with quality linens and we loved having the terrace to sit outside and take in the view.

Charrah gave us a great dinner recommendation for Herringbone, and offered to call and make a reservation for us. The free shuttle service was great and saved us a cab or Uber ride to/from dinner. The hotel may not be right in the middle of La Jolla village, but it is only a few minutes away...we did not feel that the location was lacking at all.

Thanks Hotel La Jolla for a great experience, we will be back!

Room Tip: It was worth the extra money to have an ocean view room (floors 6+).
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A letter to management...

We recently returned from a brief weekend stay at your property where we were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary, a short but special visit. From the valet and reception staff, to the bar tender and the maintenance guy, all of your staff was extraordinary; friendly, fun and polite.

Special "kudo's" to the CUSP crew. The food quality and presentation was superior. I was reluctant to have our special meal in a "hotel restaurant", with La Jolla but a 5 minute drive away. But, we could not have made a better choice.

The accommodation were excellent. The room was nice and clean, the view was tremendous and the other areas; pool, bar and lobby... all were very nice and comfortable. I just wish we would have had more time to stay and enjoy it.

Bottom line... be proud of your property, but be extremely proud of your extraordinary staff!

Please extend our sincere thanks on to your team and feel free to pass my comments on to your executive management. You and your team deserve the recognition.

Room Tip: Get a room at least on the 4th floor or higher/
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel has been recently remodeled and purchased by the Kimpton Hotel Group. From the moment we drove up we were treated like royalty. From the parking attendants, the check-in desk, the room, the restaurant, the bar, we cannot explain the extraordinary service we received. The hotel is beautiful - the views from each of the rooms are spectacular. The restaurant food was delicious and the bar had the best drinks overlooking the beautiful Pacific Ocean. The location was awesome. There was a shuttle that took us into the Village and picked us up -- never had to take our car out. I would highly recommend this dog friendly, kid friendly and overall wonderful hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family