“Delights In Every Nook & Cranny!”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My best friend, her teen daughter and I recently stayed at the Kimpton La Jolla for 4 nights for a girls' weekend. We are so glad we took another friend's advice to stay here. We stayed in Room 607, which is an ocean view room. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like visiting dignitaries. What a nice driveway with the fire pits lit at night. Nice effect. Every one was so friendly (but not fake overfriendly, if that makes sense), from the valets, to front desk, to bartender, to housekeepers. There were such nice details in every part of the hotel. We had a whirlwind trip so it was a great to have in-out privileges for the car park, and the valets kept our car close to the door when we told them we'd be back out for more adventures in an hour. And really, the valets were such charming young men. The outdoor bar/lounge is so vogue and relaxing. Free bikes, coffee every morning, wine happy hours, smores in the poolside firepit on the weekends, Sunday morning bloody mary bar - WOW! We didn't eat at CUSP but we peeked in and we'll have to try it next time. Just a short walk to downtown La Jolla. Kudos to creating an amazing ambience/experience and hiring wonderful people! I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

NuttyGirl323=AMAZING should be the name of this review! You have just made my Monday with this 5 STAR Review! Thank you for your kind words about your visit and especially the feedback about our team. I know I'm a little biased but I truly thing we have the best team in the city and I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your interactions with them so much. I'm sorry your trip was so short, I hope you can come back and visit us for longer next time. We can't wait to welcome you back!

There are newer reviews for Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed 18 June 2014

It had been a few years since we stayed at Hotel La Jolla, and we were very surprised when we returned in June. The property is now a Kimpton Hotel and has been completely remodeled, so every part of it - from our room to the downstairs outside bar was new and improved. But more importantly, the service was exceptional, from Charrah at the front desk to the friendly greetings from staff throughout and especially the best car valet service we have ever seen. The valet staff is the front line in customer service for this hotel and they really deliver, helpful and friendly beyond all expectations and offering a very handy shuttle service around La Jolla. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Up high and away from the busy boulevard coming in from I-5 on the south side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Oh Dave B, thank you for this amazing 5 STAR review! We sure are lucky to have Charrah and all of the valets on our team, you are spot on in describing how great they are! I'm so happy to see that you were pleasantly surprised by the changes to the property since your last visit. I hope you come back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Our tiny handicap access room (we're not handicapped) was located on lobby floor directly across hall from elevators. One of two elevators was out of commission. Room was very noisy as result. When i requested change after i saw the room, I was told only other room had wet carpet from broken pipe. No thanks!

Room was tiny, no seating other than bed. Bathroom was poorly lit and because of handicap shower, lacked typical amenities typically found in up scale hotel. Soundproofing was poor as lots of sound penetrated from hall and neighboring hall.

Don't know how other rooms in hotel compare. However, hiring tiny room across from main lobby elevators makes no sense to me.

This place is positioned as a 4 star hotel. Room was $350 per night and sub-par. Experience left me with a bitter taste.

Room Tip: Avoid 1st floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Andrew S,

Thank you for your review, however I'm so sorry you didn't leave with a better impression of your stay. I realize that having been on a room near the elevator can certainly make for a disappointing visit, especially if you were expecting a different location. If you plan to return to La Jolla, I urge you to contact me directly and we will take great care of you upon your return. My apologies for the inconvenience and I hope we have the opportunity for a do-over down the road. Thanks again for the constructive feedback.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice. Liked it. Old hotel that has been refurbished. There is no coffee maker in the room. Free coffee is in the lobby until 10AM only. I expressed to front desk that I was surprised that a 4 star hotel would not have a coffee maker. He apologized...

Within few minutes, room service knocked on our door and we good fresh coffee...courtesy the hotel staff. I was impressed. This was a pleasant surprise. When I offered to pay, they turned it down.

Thank you, Team La Jolla.
Ron

Room Tip: 8th floor - view of ocean at a distance.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Oh Ron K from San Fransisco, thank you for your very kind feedback. I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your recent visit to our hotel. I did want to tell you that you are welcome to join our Kimpon InTouch loyalty program where you can add a coffee maker request to your profile and we will enusre you have one in your room at every Kimpton hotel during future travels.

Thank you again for the feedback and I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

It is a medium sized hotel, the rooms have been updated but the building itself is quite old and certain things cannot be changed, i.e. the hallways are outdoors and in fact it did rain the 3 days we were there and we got wet. It is located near a busy road. We used the gym, it is small, clean, with a few machines that were new, and it was not crowded. We did not use the restaurant and service is average. Perhaps with nicer weather we would have enjoyed our stay better in La Jolla.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank deboraperez56
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you deboraperez56 for taking time to write a review about your visit to La Jolla. I am so sorry to see that the rain put such a damper on your visit to our hotel. I hope you'll come back and visit us when the sun is shining, I guarantee you'll enjoy your visit more. Cheers! Shannon Foster, General Manager.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

From the outside this hotel looks a bit like a huge concrete slab, scarring the landscape but inside there is definitely more charm and they've done a good job with the recent re-fit. The rooms are laid out well and the decor is appealing. The TV is huge and I quite liked how you could look into the room from the shower – there is a vanity blind for times when this is not appropriate! There were a few stains on the furniture and the towels were a little small and rough but on the flipside, all the staff were friendly and helpful and I loved the little touches like free bloody maries in the lobby on Sunday morning (it was memorial day weekend!) and the animal print robes. The view from the restaurant is unbelievable although the food was only average and a little overpriced. The valet charge was high but I just factored it into the room rate and it was still good value for money and just a 15 minute walk into La Jolla made it perfect for what we were looking for. It's not luxury by any means but does the job!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you TravellerNLa for the 4 Star review! I am so happy to see that you had such a great visit with us and that you enjoyed the room and the amenities we offer. Thank you for the candid feedback regarding the housekeeping items from your room, we will use this feedback as a training tool for our team. Please feel free to contact me directly, I'd love to hear a bit more about your restaurant experience.

Thank you again for choosing us and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hotel La Jolla
shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We love Kimpton Hotels because they are quirky, fun, and allow pets. This one is not in La Jolla village but has a lovely bar and fireplace area, fun "game night," a goldfish in the room, and smores for the fireplace.

The walk to La Jolla village is longer than expected but there is a car shuttle you can take.

Super friendly staff and fun atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JodieGuest

JodieGuest,

Thank you for the 5 STAR review! I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. I am especially pleased to see that you enjoyed the amenities we've added as well. I hope you'll be back to visit us again soon.

Hotel La Jolla