“Nice location and great decor”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I'm a big Kimpton fan, and used a reward night for one of the two nights spent here. Came with my husband to celebrate our anniversary--we were married in La Jolla, so it seemed like a romantic idea. Hotel La Jolla very graciously had a bottle of champagne on ice in the room when we arrived, with a 'happy anniversary' card attached. really nice touch. Aside from that, though...

Have you ever read a review that said that the valet parking team was the highlight of the stay? They honestly were--and I told them.

Check-in took forever--and there was no line. The woman at the desk had no idea how to deal with the one free night, one paid night situation. She went in the back a few times--there was someone there who could have helped, but didn't come to her aid. Finally, we got checked-in, with a promise that it would all be figured out the next day--we were racing the clock to get to the restaurant before it closed. We made it, but only because she was wrong about when it closed.

The decor was really attractive, bed was comfortable, but the main reason I love Kimpton hotels is their customer focus, and this one didn't meet my expectations, plain and simple.

At checkout, there were mistakes on the bill that had to be worked through. The valets, still there, we're friendly, efficient and happy. I gave them the champagne.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RTCAZ
Shannon F, General Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

RTCAZ, I must say that I loathe the word "average" and it is clear that is the type of expereince you had with us, I am very sorry for that. There is no acceptable reason for the front desk agent to have gone back and forth several times to resolve the billing question, we don't all have the answers but the support person that did should have been out at the desk to assist. I can assure you this was an anomoly and not at all indicative of the service we deliver on a regular basis. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon and show you us at our best. Thank you for the candid feedback.

All my Best,

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

In town for BIO 2014 we arrived a few days early to enjoy some sunshine and surf for the weekend. This was a great choice. Recently renovated, our 8th floor room was spacious and well appointed. Close to the highway but noise not a problem with superior soundproofing. Great concierge with the fastest bellboys in town.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaelavery

Michaelavery, thank you for the terrific review! I couldn't agree more that having a little vacation prior to a conference like that is the right choice. Thank you for choosing us for your getaway all the way from Australia! I hope you'll come back and visit us again the next time you are in SoCal!

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel with beautiful beach views and excellent beach access. The availability of beach bikes is a huge bonus, we used them each day of our three day stay.

The one thing they badly need to improve is their first floor pool bar. The staff are very friendly but the drinks are consistently terrible and over-priced. Chintzy on the pour, small overall, and ridiculous prices. I'm sure they can do better to match the rest of their service.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy11111

Cathy1111, thank you for your candid feedback regarding your experience at our pool lounge. I'm sorry to see that you did not enjoy your drinks, we will certainly keep your feedback in mind as we make modifications to our drink menus in the future. If you have any additional feedback you would like to share, please feel free to contact me directly as we are continuously improving the experience for our guests and truly appreciate the feedback.

I hope to welcome back again soon.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We found the cost of this hotel to be reasonably priced for such an expensive area, so we were expecting corners to be cut and amenities to be few, but we were surprised by how wonderful it was after all. The rooms are all brand new and designed in a clean and modern style with balconies that have great views of the water, elegant and highly functional bathrooms, and super comfortable beds. The rooms are also spacious and offer lots of room to stretch out. The hotel itself has an outside corridor that we really enjoyed because it has a lovely view of the hills behind. The pool, although small, is saltwater and is very warm and not usually crowded. Now on to the nice touches...

We were so pleased by all the little freebies and extras the hotel provided to make our stay even better. These included cute and comfy animal print robes and slippers, high quality lotion/shampoo, excellent free coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning (not that horrible stuff they give you in the room to make yourself in some hotels), free wine and drinks from 5-6 near the pool, loaner bicycles, juice/water in the lobby all day, free wi-fi for signing up for Kimpton for free, a $10 food/drink credit for signing up for Kimpton, extras available in our room (we got a mini fridge), and so on. They also had pretty good food and a delightful bloody mary bar on the weekend.

Yes, they still need to iron out a few rough spots. We couldn't get an early check in even though I wasn't feeling well, and 4PM is very late. Clearly they had rooms and just weren't letting people in, ugh. The parking is a bit pricey, but there are spots just around the corner, so you can opt out. The valets were very nice and helpful, but the front desk staff was a little uptight and edgy. But all the extras really made up for these quirks, and we were also excited to see dogs on the premises. How refreshing that they welcome pets! Even though we didn't have ours with us, we were happy to see that they were pet friendly. Overall, a cool vibe, a nice design, and lots of great extras.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room. the best rooms are on the upper floors and away from the busy road below...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Rhervez,

I can't say thank you enough for this 5 STAR review. I truly appreciate all of the wonderful details regarding your visit and the candor you used in sharing your critiques. I can assure you if we have rooms avaiable, we will let our guests check in vs making them wait but unfortunately having such a small hotel and such high occupancy, it is difficult to get everyone in early. Please feel free reach out to me in advance next time though and we will do our very best to get you in early if at all possible. Thank you again for taking time to share your feedback with fellow travelers. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

shannon.foster@hotellajolla.com

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a great hotel. It's not a sprawling Ritz Carlton but for the price and the location, it's wonderful. Service was lovely, people are so friendly. The hotel has a modern look, activities for guests and kids, nice bar scene and the rooms are clean, modern and all in all tasteful. Every time we called the room to ask for something, it was delivered with a smile, courteous and kind responses. Rooms have pretty views and it was easy, even with kids.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Pickyperson82, this review is priceless to us, thank you! I'm so happy to see that you had such a lovely visit and I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers. Our team is amazing and we are so lucky to have each and every one of them. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed the kid friendly activities as well, we try to keep it interesting around here and I'm glad we did not disappoint with the activity selections. I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My best friend, her teen daughter and I recently stayed at the Kimpton La Jolla for 4 nights for a girls' weekend. We are so glad we took another friend's advice to stay here. We stayed in Room 607, which is an ocean view room. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like visiting dignitaries. What a nice driveway with the fire pits lit at night. Nice effect. Every one was so friendly (but not fake overfriendly, if that makes sense), from the valets, to front desk, to bartender, to housekeepers. There were such nice details in every part of the hotel. We had a whirlwind trip so it was a great to have in-out privileges for the car park, and the valets kept our car close to the door when we told them we'd be back out for more adventures in an hour. And really, the valets were such charming young men. The outdoor bar/lounge is so vogue and relaxing. Free bikes, coffee every morning, wine happy hours, smores in the poolside firepit on the weekends, Sunday morning bloody mary bar - WOW! We didn't eat at CUSP but we peeked in and we'll have to try it next time. Just a short walk to downtown La Jolla. Kudos to creating an amazing ambience/experience and hiring wonderful people! I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

NuttyGirl323=AMAZING should be the name of this review! You have just made my Monday with this 5 STAR Review! Thank you for your kind words about your visit and especially the feedback about our team. I know I'm a little biased but I truly thing we have the best team in the city and I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your interactions with them so much. I'm sorry your trip was so short, I hope you can come back and visit us for longer next time. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

It had been a few years since we stayed at Hotel La Jolla, and we were very surprised when we returned in June. The property is now a Kimpton Hotel and has been completely remodeled, so every part of it - from our room to the downstairs outside bar was new and improved. But more importantly, the service was exceptional, from Charrah at the front desk to the friendly greetings from staff throughout and especially the best car valet service we have ever seen. The valet staff is the front line in customer service for this hotel and they really deliver, helpful and friendly beyond all expectations and offering a very handy shuttle service around La Jolla. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Up high and away from the busy boulevard coming in from I-5 on the south side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Oh Dave B, thank you for this amazing 5 STAR review! We sure are lucky to have Charrah and all of the valets on our team, you are spot on in describing how great they are! I'm so happy to see that you were pleasantly surprised by the changes to the property since your last visit. I hope you come back to visit us again soon.