“Great Vacation Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, PA
“Great Vacation Location”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Our stay at Hotel La Jolla was great. We had a ground floor room. We did not hear the construction noises that other reviewers complained about. If we were outside they were pretty loud, but our room was below the noise. The room was cleaned each day and our requests for extra pillows and blankets were fulfilled ASAP. The maid even started leaving extra towels after the first day after seeing there were three of us in the room.
The front desk staff was helpful and if they didn't know the answer they found one for me. The recommendations they made for dinner was on spot and they were quite helpful with directions. Just don't ask for a pencil to do homework with a 1st grader. They don't have any.

The pool was small, but enjoyable. Considering we're from the Northeast and we were swimming outside in February we were quite impressed.

Location was ideal for easy access to all major arteries and attractions.

All in all our experience with Hotel La Jolla was wonderful. We would definitely stay here again. Thanks for making our family vacation memorable.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I went in expecting a reasonably nice hotel and found a place with outdated decor, extensive renovation that included semi trucks and trailers parked outside my room and completely gutted rooms on either side of me, and not-so-sharp front desk staff.

While the location is very central, I had looked forward to a beachside location and found that I was a good long walk from any public beach. (The water is nearby, but seemed to be entirely residential property.)

The renovation that is planned looks nice according to the pictures posted around the hotel, but the current decor looks like mid-80s Miami beach house. The paint in the bathroom was peeling, and the balcony door wouldn't slide open.

The renovation made for an unpleasant experience - outside my door I faced trailers parked in the back of the parking lot for the construction crews, the rooms next to mine on my floor were completely gutted (no doors or windows installed) down to the concrete floors, and there was no ice machine on the floor. Nor were there any other guests staying on the floor it seemed. Made me feel unsafe.

The front desk staff consists mainly of (good looking) young gentlemen, but they seemed confused when asked for a local taxi company that I could call for a ride to a restaurant, and for a airport van shuttle service to take me the next day.

It seems from reading other reviews that having an ocean view room can help you ignore all these problems, but my 3rd floor room that faced the parking lot on the front side and the other parking lot on the back side left much to be desired.

• Liked — Pool and hot tub were small but nice. Location is great.
  • Disliked — Decor, renovation chaos, inexperienced staff.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
omaha, ne
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We recently spent four nights at the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores. We were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The staff was great - very helpful and pleasant. Half of the hotel is under renovation, but this did not bother us. We had a suite, which is the size of two regular rooms - definitely worth the extra money to us. The downside of the hotel is that the street is noisy. Our in-room CD player was great for helping to mask the sounds so that we could sleep in. The outdoor pool and hot tub were great. The pool was well heated and comfortable for the end of October. Even our baby was happy with the temperature. Overall, a great stay at a nice hotel.

• Liked — close to the beach, value, pool
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
los angeles, ca
Reviewed 30 September 2008

3rd Time Is Not A Charm!
So, we frequented Hotel La Jolla for our anniversary again, and I have to say that this time it was quite unimpressive. First off, we were put in a room on the first floor and it was close to their construction making it quite noisy. The bathroom didn't have a bath, so the water from the shower crept eerily close to the carpet every time it was being used. The water from the shower head shot out like a laser piercing the skin, and the toilet decided to not stop its flush cycle without us removing the lid and putting the stopper down by hand. They also hand wrote that parking is $15 when their website states it is $10 (and this seems like it is a new fee to me). When I mention this to them, they magically fixed their errors. I think that they could make a change to their counter lay-out while doing all the construction. A better sense of service to your customers by putting the check-in desk in a visible area for them to welcome their guests.

Stayed September 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 27 August 2008

My best friend and I drove up to La Jolla for one last mini vacation before school started. We loved Hotel La Jolla because of it's location. The lady that checked us in was so friendly and helpful throughout our stay. We had a room with a great view and the hotel was not too far from the beach. There was pleanty to do within a short distance of the hotel. We loved being able to work out and also sun bathe at pool site. Our room was kept exceptionally clean every day. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was very pleasant which made us feel welcome!

• Liked — The friendly employees and location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Our stay at Hotel La Jolla was amazing. I was hesitant to stay at an older hotel but, I was pleasantly surprised at how the staff was so accomodating. I was at the hotel while my husband had meetings to attend. I mentioned to the front desk clerk that I would like to rent a car so that I could go to the movie theatre. The hotel manager over heard my conversation and to my surprise he quickly made arrangements for the shuttle driver to drive me to the movie theatre! I felt like I was really appreciated and it also made me feel like someone was looking after me. The hotel's location is great in the evenings we were able to have a delicious dinner while enjoing a breath taking view. They have a small fitness center with some great equipment. The pool area is great place to bask in the sun. We will definitely return to this hotel because of the attention we received from the staff.

• Liked — The friendly staff and great restaurant
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Keller, TX
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We stayed for two nights Aug 1-3 and had booked thru the hotel website. We paid for an ocean view room and boy did we get it! We checked in early (1:00) and asked specifically for a room on floors 7-9....we got one on the 8th floor and the view was spectacular. What we liked about it over maybe one of the hotels directly on the beach (like The Shores at La Jolla) was that it gives a panoamic view of La Jolla, including the ocean. One of the most beautiful things about La Jolla is the actual town and hills so we felt like we got the best of both worlds. The room was extremely clean, large, comfortable and lovely. Not contemporary, but lovely. They are actually going to undergo a renovation to contemporary in the fall. The staff was friendly and helpful. Loved the free shuttle service. We did not hear the outside traffic from our room, unless we were outside on the balcony.

We are beach people - primarily Mexican carribean (Riviera Maya, Cozumel, etc) so have pretty high beach standards. If you are looking for a pristine white beach don't go to The Shores beach, which is walking distance from the hotel (also where The Shores La Jolla hotel is). It was a very crowded, hard-packed sand beach. Apparently the tide pretty much comes all the way up at night so its really just not that pretty or comfortable. Though there are some nice little outdoor restaurants/cafes down there. Instead of trying one of the other La Jolla beaches (which the shuttle would take you to), we actually went over to Coronado for our second day. A great choice. I heard WindAndSea beach was better. We just decided we wanted to see the world-famous Coronado and also one of the local shop owners suggested we would like it better.

Note - the hotel has free beach chairs to use.....get one as you will want one. They also offer free towels - they are small so get about 3 per person.

Recommendations :
- Go to The Marine Room one night for a cocktail (walking distance...like 2 blocks). Go when it is dark. I've never seen anything like it - spectacular. It literally sits on the beach and has flood lights shining out that light up the ocean and at high tide the waves crash against the windows. The night we were there the water was literally a couple of feet up - it was like being in a snowglobe. Amazing. We could even see stingrays in the water (they are attracted to the light)
-Clay's for breakfast was yummy but pricey. Great view though - same as the one from our room.

Bottom line - we would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Walking distance to the beach....and the beach that was there waiting
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple