“My clients and I were extremely satisfied with our stay at the Hotel La Jolla”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I chose this hotel because I have always loved La Jolla and wanted to be away from the hectic and overcrowded downtown area. It worked out perfectly for my business meeting. Even a Starbuck's right outside the front! They have recently remodeled and it really shows. The rooms were just wonderful as was the restaurant at the top of the tower. What an incredible view! And the beach is just a few short blocks away. Next time will bring my family to enjoy the excellent hotel staff, always so helpful, as well as the beaches and the lovely town of La Jolla, right on the water. There are great restaurants in walking distance as well.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 September 2009

From the moment I arrived at the hotel I was treated exceptionally. The entire staff at the hotel was very professional and made my stay very enjoyable. Next time I'm in San Diego I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I stayed there for my boyfriends birthday the lady at the counter whos name is laurie(AVOID) Before she even helped us she had an attitude with the guests before us. Our room was not prepared for us our phone was not hooked up no book or nothing in our room. Laurie was horrible in hospitality...weird seeing hows its a hospitality business. The hotel is under construction which they fail to tell you on their website. They let a construction worker in our room while we were gone and we came back to the hotel and to our suprise there he was doing nothing but playing with screws in his hand. THe hotel never notified us of someone even going to be allowed in our room my 500 dollar iphone was stollen out of my room. The general manager is extremely un accomidating and could care less about any of the problems going on in this hotel. STILL I HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANYTHING FOR MY PHONE BEING STOLEN!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2009

This hotel WILL BE great when fully renovated and they get their act together. This was the first time I've bid on a hotel room and didn't feel I got my money's worth.
The WiFi and gym (two of three amenities touted in their advertising) were both inoperable. With no business center or internet, we had no options for getting online to plan each day in an unfamiliar city.
The thermostats were indecipherable. Aside from being in Celsius instead of Farenheit, they were some sort of fancy programmable thermostat with no instructions, save for some icons that might as well have been heiroglyphics. Someone from maintenance, who admitted he didn't fully understand how the thermostat worked, showed us how to at least move a few numbers up and down to adjust the air.
Our parking fee was waived since the internet wasn't working, but I don't see how they can charge $15 a day when I would guess more than half the rooms are still being renovated. The renovated rooms are nicely decorated with modern furnishings and fixtures. Still a few things left undone in the room -- masking tape behind the TV, exposed plumbing in the bathroom -- but overall very nice and comfortable. Elevators are trashed from construction traffic. No lobby or common areas to speak of, except for a tiny front desk. The restaurant on the top floor looks nice, but we didn't eat there (too exorbitant).
The rest of the stay was fairly pleasant, except for the lack of maid service on our first full day. It will eventually be a good place to stay, but until the renovations are complete, not nearly worthy of its rate or star rating.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Beware if you intend to stay here, they fail to mention important things (renovations, groups etc.). We booked our Wedding party as well as the Bride and Groom in this hotel. The Hotel and I agreed upon the dates and number of rooms. A "Room Booking Agreement" was signed and faxed over. When I (the Bride) called to book my room I was told that the "renovation will be complete" and our "suite will be ready by then". We were never even told of a renovation! I was also told one month out that "there is another group also booked but that shouldn't be a problem". Two weeks before the booking date I was called and told that the "other group expanded and we will have to relocate you to our sister property". I did not want to stay there the rooms are very low quality. If I knew that there was any construction taking place I would never have considered it. They not only broke our contract (Room Agreement) but lied all along the way. Never would I recommend this to anyone or even go there myself! Beware is you do book!

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We were in La Jolla for a wedding and booked 2 months in advance at the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores. Upon arrival they informed us they had overbooked and that there was no room for us. They had transferred our reservation to the Sheraton which was no where near the beach. They did not offer to provide any sort of compensatio or even aplogize for the move. Once we got to the Sheraton we learned that apparently the hotel does this all the time - in fact two other people were in the same situation that day. Very poor service.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2009

We reserved our room thru Orbitz two months in advance of Memorial Day weekend for two nights. Upon our arrival at the Hotel La Jolla at the Shores on Friday afternoon, we were informed by the rude desk clerk, Laurie, that we had been moved "just up the road" to the Sheraton. Apparently, they did not have enough rooms for all the guests they had voluntarily booked, due to the ongoing construction at the hotel. When we arrived at the Sheraton, we realized that the hotel was no where near the beach, which was our main reason for choosing to stay in La Jolla. The Sheraton manager informed us that Hotel La Jolla had called just two hours prior to our arrival move us there. A further phone call to complain to the Hotel La Jolla yielded nothing, as we were told that we could cancel the reservation but "good luck finding another place to stay this weekend". Never ever have I been treated so poorly by a customer service associate at a hotel. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple