“Amazing Hotel La Jolla”

Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 May 2010

We love the Hotel La Jolla! You can not get a better view for the price in La Jolla. The rooms are huge and very well appointed. Flat screen TV, very sexy double-sided shower. Every room has a great view. Excellent vibe of mid-century modern, retro hip. Very relaxing ... beds are excellent too -- nice linens, plush and comfortable. Hotel staff is great - helpful as well. Starbucks next door. Less than 5 minute walk to the beach. Hoel restaurant, Clay's, is delicious! Ahi Tuna Tower was out of this world.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)

Reviewed 20 May 2010

we have stayed before prior to it been updated - now it has great ideas esp the glass shower!!
location is amazing - walk to Piatti restaurant - we did for the 3 nights!!
get a high floor the views are great at sunset and in the morning
Joseph on reception was very helpful
Car park fee we thought was a rip off - loads of space - not used
only other down side is we had noisy children one night next door - till V late

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Room is much smaller than pictures. Bath room a joke with a small shower and no tub. Rooms are not very sound proof and don't have someone stay in the room above.....with marble floors, we heard ever tap of high heels above us. At night, good luck finding a desk clerk......the paper sign on the desk says five minutes, but don't count on that. Room was drub, no exciting or friendly colors. Need a soda........walk to the local convenience store. Not worth the $205 (total) paid. Do not recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a good nights rest. Also, no walking distance to the beach.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We were assigned this hotel through Priceline at the "Name your own price" option. The price was good and the hotel looked nice from the pictures, so we were pretty happy with it. Once we walked into the lobby, we were greeted by a friendly gentleman at the counter. He is a young Asian guy - very helpful. Unfortunately, out of everyone there - he is definitely the only one who is really pleasant. The only bad thing we found out at that point was that they charge $15 a day for parking. That part really stinks, but a lot of hotels do it, so we dealt with it. Also, the hotel had a shuttle in the parking lot with the hotel's name on it, and we asked the guy at the desk about it, and he said that they do not have a shuttle. The room was nice, and we could tell it was recently remodeled. We had a room on one of the upper floors, so we had a nice view of the ocean. The room was pretty quiet and felt pretty clean. The only complaint that I had was that a couple of days before we were supposed to check out, the people who cleaned the room somehow got something sticky everywhere in the bathroom. It was so bad that my feet literally stuck to the floor. It was on the floor, on the toilet seat (top and bottom), and on the counter. I complained to the front desk and they apologized (although didn't seem too concerned). They sent the cleaning people back, and it was slightly less sticky, but still sticky. By that point, I was feeling ready to check out because the stickiness was pretty gross. I would stay here again (for the same price I paid this time and no more), but I wish that the staff was a little nicer and that the cleaning people did a little better job cleaning. Also, I don't think parking should be an additional fee. Otherwise, pretty good experience but not exceptional.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RileysMama23
Reviewed 6 March 2010

My fiance & I stayed at this hotel over the Valentine's weekend - our room was on the 10th floor with 2 separate balconies. The room was large and has been recently re-modeled. We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel La Jolla - I recommend that you check out the happy hour in the bar - great views, food and drinks. especially the selction of wine. The hotel is a short drive to the beach and great local restaurants / bars. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I don't know where to start....

* SMELLY..CHEMICAL LADEN ROOMS! THey just remodeled. It was SO bad I had to sleep in my car. My wife and I took turns. We had MASSIVE headaches from the fumes.
* The elevators were TWO YEARS expired on their permits
* The pool was slimy green and cold.
* THe HOT TUB was cold
* The front desk was never there. Nice when they were though.
* Restaurant was good..BUT EXPENSIVE!
* NOT a family hotel
* YUK YUK YUK is all I have to say.

A nightmare...and SOOOOO glad Priceline refunded the next 3 nights I had there.

I never stayed in such a horrible hotel with a management staff that was 1) indifferent and 2) never returned my calls.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank travlr88
Maximology, Manager at Hotel La Jolla, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2010

Dear sir,

I am deeply sorry for the discomfort during your recent stay. Despite our best efforts to air the rooms out for a week prior to selling them, we understand that you were accutely sensitive to the smell of renovation. If there is anything we can do to help make your next stay more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to contact a memeber of management.

Again, we apologize for any disturbance and hope to make it up to you.

Kind regards,

Hotel La Jolla Management

Reviewed 30 January 2010

I have never written a negative review of a hotel, until now!

The hotel is not near the "cove", instead it is blocks away from the beach. It is much closer to the noisy highway and gas station then anything.

They charge a ridiculous amount of money to park in a standard parking lot, with nothing near it. It literally is a joke. Even if the hotel is 80% empty, you have to pay.

Forget about getting the Internet at this hotel. Forget about talking to the staff or management to complain. They do not care, and I mean they could care less according to the staff member behind the counter. I was told that people complain all the time, and that they do nothing, and will simply blame the company that provides the service.

The renovations are top quality, done carelessly and clearly by a third rate construction team. You can hear through the paper-thin walls, and you can smell smoke from adjacent rooms.

It really is too bad, because the design and everything else is not bad. I thought perhaps some of reviews I read were people being a little to petty. Well the negative reviews tend to be spot on.

Add in all the extras, and your better off staying somewhere else. In fact, the next day I switched to the Hard Rock in San Diego, and loved it. Perhaps the management of this hotel need to see how to do it right!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple