“A definite must if you're in town”
Review of OEX La Jolla - CLOSED

OEX La Jolla
More attraction details
Owner description: The 5th Biggest Tourist Attraction in America's Finest City! Come Kayak, Dive, Surf, Snorkel or SUP with OEX La Jolla and you will see why!
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

My friend and I came to San Diego for a vacation from snowy PA and purchased groupons for the sea cave kayak tour. From start to finish the process was pretty simple. Our guides, Jenna and Blaine, were fun and energetic as well as knowledgable about the area. At one point they even had a handstand standoff on the kayaks out on the water. We got to see some of the fish, sea lions, and a lot of leopard sharks on our adventure. Overall, we were very happy with the tour and had a blast.

1  Thank Heidi8ann

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I found them on Groupon for a great price and was looking for fun activities for my boyfriend and I to do on a vacation to San Diego. This place was fantastic! Our two guides (Alfredo and Alejandro) were hilarious, helpful and very knowledgeable of the area and kayaking. It was only 90 minutes and it went super fast. Great for any athletic ability.

1  Thank NoraTeele
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I bought vouchers for a kayak tour from groupon. From beginning to end I had a positive experience... the check in process was quick and efficient and they were very accommodating to my large family. The tour itself was fun and interesting and we had great tour guides. Makes a great family trip and I would highly recommend!

1  Thank miriam i
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My boyfriend and I took the La Jolla Sea Cave Kayak tour and it was awesome! There were a lot of people out kayaking but only because it was such a beautiful day in La Jolla. The staff was great and energetic. Our guides were Alejandro and Blake, who were more than great. Saw many Garibaldi fish and sea lions in the waters all around the caves. We really enjoyed the entire experience and would definitely recommend it. Will probably be doing this again soon!

1  Thank Emily J
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I somewhat enjoyed my kayak tour...but my background in PR and customer service management means I can't give them 5 stars. The confirmation email instructs you on what time to arrive by and to take Dramamine (which I should have done). That email was missing kayaking attire suggestions (for newbies like myself), how personal belongings will be stored while kayaking (in the shop's unlocked/open cubbies) and the gear that can be rented for an additional cost. When I first arrived, I was greeted by a male employee who was on a speaker call with a help desk. While the help desk lady was talking, he checked me in...and then told me to come back in 15 to get suited up. The email tells you to arrive 45 minutes early and then they expect you to figure out something until they're ready--perhaps the arrival time needs changed. Fast forward 15 minutes, the same guy helps me find a wetsuit while talking to the help desk but looking at me--talk about awkward. It's important to make customers feel valued and appreciated by showing them undivided attention. A second employee in the shop might have solved this problem. That employee smirked when I came out of the dressing room because I had the wetsuit on backwards. Yes, I know I looked like a dork, but he didn't even ask me if I knew what I was doing before pointing me in the direction of the changing stalls. I noticed many of the wetsuits had holes in them and/or looked tattered. After suiting up, the group was told to wait outside. At this point the other tour was returning, so it was a bit of a challenge to wade through the bodies and figure out where we were supposed to go once outside. The whole process just seemed unorganized and unprofessional. Things got better once we hit the water and you can tell this is where the guys' true passion is. I wish the guides would have made it more clear from the beginning that we were not going in the caves due to rough water. I was so psyched and then when we got to the cave, it was such a disappointment. We weren't the first tour so they should have known the conditions early on. The seals and sea lions were the highlight of our tour. I had some fun in the sun so the tour wasn't an epic fail, but I probably will try another tour company in the future to see if their customer service is any different.

2  Thank Chelsea0518