“Fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Saddle River, New Jersey
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

This was our first stop on our nine day vacation in Southern California. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. Our room was spacious with two double beds, a very large desk and a ten foot vanity (perfect for my 17 y/o daughter).
We were greeted by Benny when we arrived and our luggage was brought to our room by Matt. We never had to wait more than a minute or two to get our car. The front desk employees were always smiling and polite. I felt very comfortable and welcome at this hotel. We had an excellent dinner at Nine-Ten and took advantage of Wednesday night's wine special since they had an extensive wine list with excellent choices.
This hotel is definitely be on our list when we return to California again!

Room Tip: Booked a Queen/Queen Suite Package that included valet parking and a $50/night food credit.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

The hotel definitely lived up to our expectations for our mini-vacation. The location couldn't have been better. It was close to everything! The room was a bit on the small side with a small sitting area but had a large walk-in closet. The bed and the bedding were so comfortable! This hotel definitely had an old school charm to it. The staff was also great! They were very attentive and personable. Always greeted us even if we were just passing along the hallway. We requested a fridge and it was already in the room and ready when we arrived. To top it off, breakfast at Nine-Ten was amazing. The service there was also impeccable. I had a wonderful trip and I would definitely stay here again when I return to La Jolla.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Grosse Pointe Far
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

My fifteen year old daughter and I stayed there last week and we just loved it! We had a king suite with an ocean view on the fifth floor, which was plenty of room for two people. The hotel is perfectly situated in town; walking distance to all the boutiques, little restaurants and the beach. Although we took a cab ($42) from San Diego airport, we decided to rent a car for a couple of days during our stay, which the hotel arranged for us. We had a car delivered to the hotel for $44 per day, which made it easy. The restaurant in the hotel, the Nine Ten is wonderful, but on the expensive side; we ate there one night (dinner for the two of us with just one glass of wine for me was about $160). The pool is small, but pretty - circular and 3.5 feet in depth all around, about 20 feet in diameter. Overall, I have to say, once we were in town and walking around, I was so glad we were at the Grande Colonial - it's without a doubt the nicest hotel in La Jolla.

Madisonville, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

The people at this hotel make it memorable. Benny at the door. Angel in the morning. Chris at Nine Ten, their fabulous restaurant. The management has established a team that takes pride in this property, and it shows. Excellent location. It is an historical property, therefore has it's creaks. The hotel cleaning staff is above par, and so friendly. We live in Louisiana, and for us a treat to get out of 'the swamp' in the heat of summer to visit La Jolla/San Diego to surf, visit museums, enjoy the marine wildlife and eat at Nine Ten. I find the front desk amicable even when I could be perceived as being demanding. We will be back. If you are not able to stay there, Nine Ten is way worth a reservation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

This hotel was great but beyond the hotel, it was all about the staff. From the parking attendants, to the front desk to house keeping, they were all attentive and personable. No request was too small and everything was taken care of immediately.

Worcestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We were very impressed with this hotel. Our room (509) was elegant and comfortable, everything was finished and fitted to a high standard. The hotel has nice atmosphere, a great position and the staff seem to try so hard to be friendly and professional.
Breakfasts were scrumptious and outstanding quality, we did not get to try dinner.
The valet guys were great.
It's not cheap but its good value, we really enjoyed our stay and would not bother trying elsewhere if we ever go back to La Jolla.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

My family just returned from our one night visit in LaJolla. I'm so happy about my decision to stay in this 4 star hotel, thanks to the reviews I read in Trip-Advisor. Since we are a family of 4 (myself, my husband, our 17 year old and our 7 year old), I decided to book a small suite which currently is 30% off the regular price. The suite has a King size bed and a sofa bed (my older son told me the sofa bed was very comfortable). I have to thank reservations for recommending this room as it was perfect for us and we all loved our bed. I only wish we were able to stay longer. Other reasons I felt Grande Colonial hotel deserved a 5 are;

1. Location, Location, Location. Just walking distance from the beach and right in the middle of LaJolla Village.
2. Major plus for a foodie like myself is that the restaurant inside this hotel called 9-10 is amazing. No need to eat anywhere else, their food is to die for. Our family ate dinner and breakfast here, and all our discriminating tastebuds were 100% satisfied. My picky 7 year old ate so much. My adventurous 17 year old loved his rabbit dish.
3. Property is small but charming and very comfortable. The sitting areas are inviting and my kids got to play with the lovely chess set they have set up in one of their sitting areas while we were waiting for our room. I enjoyed the cozy fireplace (in the middle of summer they have it lit). The grounds outside are well maintained and there is a small swimming pool for guests.
4. My husband commented that the Wifi access is very good. He was able to attend to his conference call (using his cel phone) in the garden area and had the privacy he needed.
5. Customer Service was excellent all around. Every employee from Valet, front desk, housekeeping and restaurant staff seemed really happy to help, and always had a welcoming smile. Housekeeping was very quick to provide us with our requests. We asked for extra towels and got it immediately. We asked for additional complimentary sodas and water for our room and within a few minutes was delivered to us. We arrived early, and the hotel was able to check us in before 3:00pm. I requested for late check-out and was accommodated as well. The service here is 5 star hotel quality.
6. Extras - I liked the very comfortable cashmere bathrobes provided in our room. I also enjoyed the shower and the size of our bathroom. Ventilation was very good and much needed when you have 4 people staying in one suite sharing a bathroom. Although we did not get to use it, It was nice that our suite had a small fireplace and a flat screen TV. Major plus is the I-Home provided (we were able to enjoy music from Pandora). Our suite had a mini kitchen with microwave, fridge, coffee maker, electric stove and some utensils should you decide to cook. This is the first hotel I stayed in, where snacks, sodas and bottled water is complimentary (coke, diet coke, chips).

The negative - While going to the powder room from the restaurant, I noticed the carpet towards the stair area was worn and dirty, but it is so minor in my opinion. The area carpet in our room had stain but nothing that turned us off. I wished parking was free. It is $20 a day.

I would stay here again and hopefully the next time around, it will be a romantic getaway.

5 Thank thedreamvacation
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,943 reviews
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#7 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!