“Trip Review”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Loved the Grand Colonial. I was looking for a nice quiet place near the beach for a relaxing weekend. Upon arriving, I was upgraded to one of the mini-suites with an ocean view. The room was wonderful. The bathroom was a little small with only a pedestal sink, which meant I had to keep the toiletry bag separate from the sink but that was the only downside. The concrete walls that you'll only find in an older building more than made up for that, and insulated all sound from the hallway, even being right next to the elevator, which made for a peaceful night's sleep. The location was centrally located and with perfect walking distance to just about everything, from fantastic restaurants (I'd highly recommed The Cottage for breakfast, and The Public House for the best burger), to shopping. The only thing that wasn't within easy walking distance was La Jolla Shores where you'd rent sea kayaks, etc. This was important because I didn't rent a car this trip. The staff was first class.

Brian B.
Phoenix, AZ

Room Tip: Definitely request an ocean view which gets you away from the sound of the street on two sides of th...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,898)

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Beautiful old hotel. The room was spacious and well decorated. The bed was sooo comfy. My husband and I could walk to dinner and the beach. Excellent service!!! Valets and front desk people were so kind even during a tough time.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I scheduled a sales conference for our Firm in the Parlor Room at the Grande Colonial, and myself, and our staff were very pleased with the whole experience. The hotel is beautiful and the staff (from the valet, to the front desk, to ther wait staff) are all courteous and attentive. We ordered the 'Parlor Room Package' for our group of 8. The room was nicely decorated, the staff was able to accomodate our adio/visual needs, and more importantly ...the food was amazing! My entire staff was impressed by the freshly baked goods, delicious fruits, elegeant lunch entree's, and dessert. (The chocolate cake was warm, gooey, and delicious!). We ate lunch on the patio overlooking the pool, with an ocean view. It was a great experience, and the food was above par. I would highly suggest The Grande Colonial for any occasion.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Aysha D
Reviewed 26 September 2011

The unique character present within each room is amazing. The rooms are beutifully decorated and charming. The highlight of the room was the bed, like sleeping on a cloud, one of the best nights sleep I've had in sometime. Can I just live here? Staff was very friendly and helpful with everything from printing my airline tickets to suggesting where to eat.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) stayed here for several nights. I must say that I loved our stay! Upon arrival until departure, everyone was very nice and accomadating. Hotel even gave us an upgrade to oceanview suite. LOVED the room! Spacious, clean, comfortable. I wanted to stay even longer.

Such a cute and quaint hotel. I loved the location to shopping and ocean. We didn't eat inside their restaurant but had room service instead (same food from restaurant) and it was delicious. Prices were reasonable.

The only complaint I'd have is that their walls must be very thin b/c we could hear the conversation from the next room. Litterally felt like the people were in the same room as ours.

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay there again the next time we visit La Jolla!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank kimpan
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Great staff, beuatiful rooms. Great location. Fabulous restaurant. would definitely return.

Room Tip: Liked the top floor main building corner rooms or suites in newer building
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank pauletteAtlanta
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed as a family and everyone loved the hotel. A friendly greeting outside on arrival, similar service at reception and a lovely spacious bright room. Very convenient in the centre of town. Just walked up to a local bakery for breakfast. All staff seemed genuinely committed to good customer service. Management should be proud of them. We would love to stay here again.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!