“Beautiful Hotel in La Jolla!”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Virginia, USA
“Beautiful Hotel in La Jolla!”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is a wonderful vintage hotel with great staff! The location is fantastic, but we couldn't see the ocean from the hotel. The beds were perfect and it was very quiet. The negatives on the hotel is that we had two teenagers traveling with us and there is an additional charge, per person, when there are more than 2 people in a room with 2 beds. So it cost us $80 (2 nights)over the room cost advertised, so be aware of that. No breakfast is included with the room. The other negative is it had a TINY bathroom!
But we loved La Jolla and day-tripped into San Diego (which is very expensive to stay in!)

Room Tip: If you can afford it, I believe the ocean view rooms would be best.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear LetsGoRide:
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I’m glad you enjoyed the hotel’s vintage charm and our friendly staff. I also appreciate you bringing to my attention the fees you were charged for your teenage children. You have compelled us to take another look at our policies relating to children and we will certainly be making changes immediately. Please know that our team will be issuing you a credit for the $80 you were charged. Meanwhile, thank you again for bringing this to our attention. It is only with this kind of feedback that we can continue to make positive changes for our guests.
Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I really wanted to give this hotel a 5, but after spending a couple nights there, I can't quite get to a 5. I came in knowing it was a 100 year old hotel, so I don't think it's fair to dock points based on that. I do think you should know that means that the bathroom door wouldn't close all the way or one of the windows' two locks wouldn't work. With that said, to spend $500/night for the Centennial Celebration Package, I think I should be entitled to have high expectations with respect to other things. For example, I was disappointed with the furniture and bedspread. It didn't feel "fresh," but was rather a bit faded and older looking. I think I was most disappointed by the fact that the hotel promises "twice daily housekeeping service" with "evening turn-down service," yet failed to come both nights we were there. It's unacceptable when one is paying that much for an Ocean View Junior Suite King. I know most hotels don't even offer turn-down service anymore, but when you say you do and you charge that much, I personally believe you better do it. As far as the service goes, I think the people there were really friendly and helpful--whether it was showing us local tourist spots or telling me I needed to get to the Manta ride first at SeaWorld before I got stuck waiting in line (great tip by the way!). Front desk was friendly, maid service was friendly, valet was super friendly, and the waitress at Nine-Ten was friendly (5 stars at Nine-Ten--you can read my separate review on that!). In Rm. 510, we were able to view the ocean from all three windows of our room and we could see the pool below us. I thought maybe we got the best view of the ocean from that room, but the downside is it's right next to the elevator and even after having plenty of wine the night before and being a heavy sleeper, I was still awoken by the sound of the elevator going up and down starting at 6am. Although the ocean view was beautiful, at $500/night, I'd expect to be right on the beach. (I know La Jolla is just an expensive city, but see my review of Southernmost on the Beach in Key West for my idea of a 5 star hotel if you think I'm being a bit harsh--also $500/night there.) Although our package included $100 credit toward Nine-Ten and $25 valet per day (which was great because it's so difficult finding parking in La Jolla!), I appreciated the experience, but I don't think I'll be back. However, if you're a non-California resident and want to splurge, it may be worth it to you.

Room Tip: 510 had a beautiful view, but bring earplugs!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happy B
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear Happy B -
Allow me to first thank you for choosing to stay at the Grande Colonial during your recent trip to San Diego. You touched on so many positive points about your experience and I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with the level of service you received from our staff in both the hotel and restaurant. That type of service is certainly what we strive to provide. But I am well aware that it can take only one problem, however big or small, to change one’s mind altogether. We clearly failed in providing you with two very important service amenities (twice daily housekeeping and turn-down service). These amenities should never be missed for any guest in any room type and I am very sorry to hear that we did not fulfill our promise to you. Rest assured that I will be following up immediately with our team to ensure it does not happen again. I thank you once again for your patronage and hope you will choose to give us another chance in the future. Best regards, Terrence Underwood / General Manager
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at the Grande Colonial for one night during our 7 night stay in SD. It was wonderful! We were debating staying at the Valencia, but after being here and seeing both hotels, I am so glad we picked the GC! Upon checkin, we were upgraded to a jr suite ocean view without even asking! The staff were all so nice and helpful. Great location and beautiful property. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Lauren:
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Grande Colonial during your recent visit to La Jolla. We know you have a choice about where to stay when traveling and we are so happy you chose us. I am also delighted to hear that we were able to surprise you with an upgrade to a suite. It is our goal to offer each and every guest warm, gracious and genuinely friendly service and it sounds as if we were able to achieve that goal for you. Come back and see us again soon. Just stay longer than one night next time.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Beach within walking distance, sea view from the window of my room, awesome sunset from the comfort of my room, waking up to the sounds of gulls, waves and seals - unfortunately I have to wake up and drag my lazy body to the office every morning during my stay here! This is room 306 :)
This room is of a good size with a comfortabe, plushy king-size bed. The linens and towels used in the room is of very good quality. Good bathroom size that comes with bath tub. The only thing is I have no space to put all my toiletries in the bathroom. I usually like to put them in the bathroom. I did manage to find a little shelf space top of the toilet bowl 2 put them on Day 2. There's space for my yoga mat and yoga in the room. Lots of windows in this room (corner room) which I love! Lots of fresh air and natural light. I dont usually need a fridge in a hotel room. As I was planning for a picnic by the sea, I bought some fresh produce and realize that there wasn't a fridge in my room. Not a major no no here, as some of my friends' in other rooms have fridges though. All the rooms in this hotel have different configuration and facing - it's good to let them know your needs so they could find the best room for you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Travellingsalesgirl:
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review. I appreciate your appreciation for the nature of our historic hotel in that each room is a little different in terms of size, layout and which direction it faces (ocean, La Jolla village or gardens). I am also happy you suggested to other travelers that they tell us their specific needs when making reservations. We have so many different room types (even suites with full kitchens and refrigerators) and are always able to customize reservations to those individual needs. Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you back from Singapore in the future.
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Poor service at the front desk. They couldn't even give us an estimate for when our room would be ready. We waited 4 hours for our room! Hotel itself is in a nice area and was nice, but the service ruined it for me!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Eschull16
Dear Eschull16:
I am really sorry to hear that the service you received during your recent stay did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide personalized, first-class service to each and every one of our guests from check-in to check-out and we certainly did not do that in your case. Our check-in time is 4 p.m. and you should have been informed of that at the time of reservation. For those guests who do arrive earlier than 4 p.m., our front desk staff will remind them of the check-in time and immediately begin communicating with our housekeeping team to have the room available as soon as possible. We do offer to store the guest's luggage, make recommendations for lunch or other local sightseeing and take a contact phone number where you can be reached once the room is ready for arrival. Again, I do apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. I hope it won’t keep you from visiting us again in the future. Sincerely,
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

Tremendous makeover from when I stayed here years ago!! VERY comfortable. Very well-appointed. And, the B&B rate was a nice indulgence. Try the huevos rancheros. Only othe food we ordered was a dessert with lemon sorbet, strawberries and and elderflower jelly - incredible! Beds could be more comfortable, but that's our only beef. You have to see La Jolla and this is an excellent stay!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ann7316
Dear Ann. Happy to hear you enjoyed your return visit to the Grande Colonial. We are committed to constantly improving the facilities and amenities, while maintaining our historic charm. We are actually in the initial planning phases of our next rooms’ renovation, which will begin in 2014. So next time you visit, it will be even better. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Johnston, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We had a wonderful stay in the Grande Colonial. Had a lovely room with an ocean view (505), and the staff couldn't have been nicer. We also had dinner at their restaurant 910, which was also quite nice, but would recommend eating outdoors instead of indoors. Overall would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 505 is a corner room with ocean views.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post a review about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. Room 505 is one of my favorite rooms and I'm so glad you had an opportunity to experience it and the near perfect weather we have been having here in La Jolla. I'm also glad you had the chance to dine at NINE-TEN. It's truly one of the region's culinary gems. Thanks again, Jim.