“Good hotel”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We liked the atmosphere and service in general.

What made very special was the fact that one of the couples we met there (from San Francisco) were a friendly couple into "the lifestyle" and we had a super fun night the 4 of us.

Good times.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Falko D:
Really happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and that you even made some new friends while visiting La Jolla. Perhaps you will all come back next year and meet up for a reunion. Our doors remain open to you! Hope to see you back from Buenos Aires soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 17 October 2013

First, I can't say enough about the professional, helpful and friendly staff at The Grande Colonial. I recently planned an event there for my husband's 60th birthday party, and I couldn't be happier with all aspects of the experience.

1) Hotel Accommodations: We had friends and family who came in from out of town, many of whom stayed at the G.C., and we heard nothing but favorable reviews...everything from "nicely decorated rooms" and "nice views" to "a good value."

2) The Event Venue: We had a cocktail reception style party for 32 people in the "La Jolla Room," which is a lovely, intimate venue. During the set-up time, I had a few special requests, and the staff all worked to make the room exactly how I wanted it, and they did it cheerfully.

3) The Event Food: Our party was catered by the restaurant in the hotel called Nine-Ten. We have been to Nine-Ten many other times for dinners or happy hours, and we've always loved the food, so it was no surprise that the food at the event was exceptional. I decided to have the cake done by Nine-Ten's pastry chef. I expected it to be good, but I cannot tell you how many people came up to me afterwards to ask me where I got the cake, and how delicious it was (moist, not too sweet, amazing, etc.).

4) The Event Staff: First, there was a lovely "point person" (Mitsy) available throughout the event that I could talk to about any concerns or additional needs. Additionally, there were staff members passing food on trays, a chef at the carving station, and a great bartender. I felt like the party attendees were all very well served and taken care of, and everyone was professional and friendly---very top-notch.

Bottom line: I think if I had to sum up my experience, I would have to say that each person I dealt with--from the Catering Manager (Cameron) to the guys setting up the tables and A/V--acted like they had a vested interest in making my event truly memorable. I think that speaks volumes, since they undoubtedly do many, many events. They made my feel like mine was just as important than any other.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Cheryl P - Wow is all I can say. I really enjoyed reading your review about your recent experience at the Grande Colonial. Thank you for choosing to celebrate your husband's milestone birthday with us here in La Jolla. It sounds as if everything went off without a hitch...from your room accommodations, to the event set up, the food & beverages and our staff. I will pass along your feedback to Mitzy and Cameron and thank you for singling them out. Seeing as you are in La Jolla, we all hope to see you back soon and often...if nothing more, dining at NINE-TEN. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Bellaire, Texas
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have stayed at the Grande many times, and have enjoyed our rooms. This trip, however, we had a room in the front of the hotel. The air-conditioning vents were covered in what looked like mold, and by morning, I had terrible allergy symptoms. In addition, the noise from the street at night was ridiculously load and rude (Friday night above Nine-Ten).
The next night we were moved to the other side of the hotel. The staff was very helpful and the view, as always, was great. I highly recommend booking the ocean-view rooms in advance.

Room Tip: I highly recommend booking the ocean-view rooms in advance.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Zfamilyvacations: Allow me to begin by thanking you for your continued patronage over the years. We always enjoy welcoming back our repeat guests. I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced with your guest room. Please know that the air conditioning vent is being looked into immediately and any issues will be resolved right away. I also apologize about the street noise issues but am happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate your room change request. We value your continued support of our hotel and do hope you will be back soon. Thank you for taking the time to bring you comments to my attention. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I went with my husband and son to the Grande Colonial for a long birthday weekend. The service was very friendly and efficent and the rooms were nice. Great location! We ate 3 times at their restaurant 9/10 because we loved the food and wine list ...(for a serious calorie splurge -try the doughnuts).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NYC_Southerner2013
Dear NYC_Southerner2013 – Happy belated birthday. So happy you were able to celebrate your day here in La Jolla. I trust the weather was beautiful (as it has consistently been for months), since you traveled all the way from DC. I’m also thrilled that you were able to experience NINE-TEN. Yes, I am biased but it is truly one of the best dining experiences in the region (just take a look at our press accolades). Please do come back and see us again soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel has style, a perfect location, wonderful rooms, practical valet parking, but this hoytel stands out in particular for his excellent service. I had made a mistake by booking the reservation, but I got help from a excellent front service, Jessica Sagar and her colleagues. It gave an extra dimension to our stay at Grande Colonial.

Room Tip: the suite with view o the ocean and very quite
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DenHaagAnoniem:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that our staff took such great care of you and were able to handle any issues you might have experienced. I hope to see you back in the area soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I recently got married in San Diego, and chose the Grande Colonial as the primary hotel for our family and friends over the long weekend of festivities. This, hands down, was one of the best decisions we made in the entire wedding planning process.
The location, of course, can't be beat. The views from the hotel rooms, and the easy walking distance to all that La Jolla Village has to offer, were priceless. We reserved the entire building of suites known as "Little Hotel by the Sea" for our closest relatives to stay in all weekend. This meant we had full access to the rooftop lounge and stunning deck overlooking the Pacific. Truly stunning. Our friends and family were blown away. They raved about the accommodations. A number of friends and family also stayed in the main hotel building, and all reported fantastic stays.
Furthermore, the entire staff, including and especially Lauren Darmody (sales manager), were superb. They treated us so well, and were a real pleasure to work with. We even received a beautiful treat delivered to our suite the night of our wedding. Kind gestures and little details made our stay so enjoyable. Everyone from the valets to the housecleaning staff, front desk attendants and waiters at Sunday brunch were stellar. By the way, the food at the hotel restaurant Nine-Ten is fantastic. Rave reviews from family who stayed for brunch on Sunday.
All in all, we could not have asked for a more perfect wedding weekend, and the staff at the Grande Colonial played a big part in making us feel stress-free and well taken care of. I would highly recommend this hotel to any other couples searching for wedding weekend hotels for their nearest and dearest. Thank you Grande Colonial!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Shannon S
Dear Shannon -
Let me first congratulate you on your recent nuptials. Needless to say, we are grateful you chose to make us a part of such a special, memorable day and we wish you and your spouse a long and happy life together. I am very happy to read your comprehensive review. I'm also happy to hear you took advantage of the suites in the Little Hotel by the Sea wing. Offering a total of 8 suites (and the ocean-view, rooftop deck), these suites are ideal for wedding parties and families traveling together for special occasions. They provide a little extra living space and privacy, as well as fully equipped kitchens and fireplaces. So glad you enjoyed them. Perhaps we will see you back for your one-year wedding anniversary. Meanwhile, thank you for your kind remarks. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We spent three nights at the Grande Colonial. Had a "partial" ocean view that was really pretty good for the money. Staff were all very friendly. The rooms are older, but hey, the hotel was built in 1913. It's been updated and we did not hear our neighbors much, if at all. They had a wedding going on at the time and we didn't hear that either. Located in downtown La Jolla with plenty of good shops and places to eat nearby. We though the 25 dollar per day valet parking was a bit steep until we found that you can't park in La Jolla without it. All in all a great place that we will definitely come back to.

Room Tip: Room 521 has a nice view of the ocean and you can see up the main drag of Prospect street from the s...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Matt -
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Grande Colonial during your recent visit from Oregon to La Jolla. I appreciate your positive feedback and thank you for taking the time to post them on Trip Advisor. I hope you'll have an opportunity to return to San Diego soon and that you will choose to stay with us again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#8 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!