“Loved this hotel!”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Clemente, California
“Loved this hotel!”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

You really get the feel of La Jolla staying her. Wonderful staff, clean rooms. So good I'm going back again in 2 weeks! The rooms are a good size. The lobby is beautiful. My only concern was the noise of the fan in the bathroom! I don't think I have ever heard one so loud!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear BritAbroad649 - I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay at the Grande Colonial and La Jolla. I'm very sorry to hear about the fan in your bathroom and have already dispatched engineering to take a look at it (and all of the fans) to ensure they are operating properly. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. See you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is very beautiful. The state of CA and LaJolla is one of our favorite places to visit. Everyone at the hotel was very accommodating. The ocean views are beautiful. The location to everything is terrific. The local shops/restaurants are outstanding. I love the way they give a choice of opening the window, air conditioning or ceiling fan all in the same room. They do need more lounge chairs around the pool. I was surprised that we only received a "happy anniversary" by the desk clerk upon arrival. We have in the past, received a small gesture from management, like a cheese basket or champagne from other places we have visited on special occasions. All in all we had a wonderful time. SoCal weather is incredible!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Triptaker131
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Triptaker131: Let me first congratulate you on your recent wedding anniversary. 32 years! So wonderful to hear. And I'm thrilled that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion with us. I'm happy you enjoyed the visit, particularly the fact that you can open the windows to enjoy the fresh air and ocean breezes...not to mention the fantastic view. I do see that we provided you with a complimentary upgrade to an ocean-view suite but I am sorry that we did not, at the least, write a special note. I have asked our team to modify our procedures and let me know when we have such special occasions being celebrated in the hotel. At any rate, congratulations and thank you again. Hope to see you back from Bellevue soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful place to escape the horrible winter in Michigan. From the bellman to the front desk staff to housekeeping, everyone was welcoming! We were lucky enough to get upgraded to an ocean view. The room was very comfortable and quiet. The location was within walking distance to everything downtown. I would highly recommend the Grande Colonial.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear CarieF_11 – It sounds as if your recent visit to the west coast to escape the rain and cold of Michigan was a big success. I’m not sure if you took advantage of our Polar Vortex Escape Package but trust that you were able to enjoy all that La Jolla has to offer, in particular the fabulous sunshine and warm weather we have been experiencing. I am also grateful for the kind words about our staff members. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. Hope to see you out west again soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 April 2014

What a great find. This quaint hotel is right in the village so lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The ocean view room was phenominal! The staff is wonderful and very helpful with smiles on their faces always. Was there for business but felt like a relaxing vacation the entire time I was at the hotel.Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Top floor with full ocean view is to die for!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FaithW666
Dear FaithW666 - I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your recent business trip to La Jolla and your stay at the Grande Colonial. It's not always fun being away from home, so I'm very glad to hear that our staff made you feel so welcome and comfortable. I'm sure during your stay you didn't even have time to scratch the surface and experience all that our La Jolla has to offer. So I hope you'll plan another trip back soon for pure leisure. If and when you do, there is an ocean-view room with your name on it! Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Resplendent in its heritage yet modern comfort is what you get when staying here. The lobby and reception provide a warm welcome with comfortable wingback seating to relax and think of all the people past who have stayed here.

The pool area provides a lovely area to catch some warmth and late sun, protected somewhat from the ocean breeze. It's not the biggest of areas but there was always a seat to be had.

Our room was a king on the 5th floor facing the front of the hotel. Large and well appointed with a walk in dressing room as well as a smaller walkin wardrobe for the male of the party! :) the room has sympathetically retained a lot of its original features without feeling dates. Fresh modern colours and decor help you feel at home. Luxurious bath robes are also a welcome part of any romantic break.

The bar food and beers are excellent. We didn't do dinner, despite it's very high trip advisor rating, as we wanted to feel like we'd explored the area a little more.

Location is great being in the centre of all the shops and restaurants and only a short stroll to the beach (and the amazing seals). It is however a slightly steep climb from the beach for anyone infirm.

This isn't a contemporary boutique style hotel, and it doesn't claim to be, but it all works perfectly. It doesn't try to hard which brings it an effortless grandeur. You'd do well to try and find something better in the area.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravellingAdman
Dear TravellingAdman: While you were so very complimentary in describing your recent visit to the Grande Colonial, allow me to compliment you and your writing. I enjoyed reading your review not only because of all the nice things you had to say about our accommodations, service and location, but it was a pleasure to read such eloquent and descriptive writing. I am delighted you had such a nice stay with us and hope when you do return, that you'll make dinner at NINE-TEN a priority. It's truly a must do when visiting La Jolla. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Had an unforgettable romantic weekend getaway here. My boyfriend sprung for a suite and it was well worth it. It wasn't in the main building, it was in a smaller one, closer to the water and there didn't seem to be anyone else staying in that building which was a bonus. The building had a roof deck which we ordered room service to and lied on chairs out there while we ate with an ocean view at sunset. Amazing! Our room was on the second floor, in the corner, providing for great views. Aside from a great room, the amenities and service were fantastic, too. The pool was quite small, but it didn't bother me since I wasn't really looking to swim. And the location really can't be beat.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Sarahhass: Let me first say that your boyfriend is a wise man. Not only treating you to a weekend escape, but then choosing our hotel as your destination and a suite on top of that! I’m very happy to hear that you stayed in our Little Hotel by the Sea wing. That building has only 8 suites and is the perfect retreat, providing a little added privacy from the main building….not to mention the exclusive rooftop deck with panoramic views of the ocean. It sounds as if you two took advantage of all that we and La Jolla have to offer. Perhaps you’ll want to surprise him with a return trip. Until then - Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Tabernacle, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We spent two fantastic days at Grande Colonial in La Jolla.
Great location. Room was luxurious with great ocean views. The staff were helpful and
friendly at all times. Nine-Ten restaurant was simply perfection!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vacapoor
Dear vacapoor - I'm so glad that you had the opportunity to escape the cold weather in New Jersey and head west to sunny and warm La Jolla. As you now know, we have had an amazing "winter" here in San Diego, which has been a big draw for those of you living in other parts of the country. Thank you for taking the time to point out some of our better features. We do appreciate it and hope to see you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager