My husband, daughter and I had a great stay at the Grande Colonial. Since we don't live far from La Jolla, we have always gone down for the day. But this year we decided to stay over and we are all delighted that we chose this hotel. Having read mixed reviews, I felt the good ones far outweighed the bad, and we have to say we truly had a terrific stay.
The hotel's historical charm surpassed my expectations. Having stayed in historical hotels in the past, this was among the best of them! It was clean and well kept. Nothing appeared worn or tattered. There were plenty of electrical outlets (often scarce in historical buildings.), the beds were comfortable, the AC was great, and the new TV was too. Extra pillows I'm sure were available, but it would have been nice if they were already in the room in the very large walk-in closet. I suppose that is the only adversity worth mentioning. The decor was new and classic with lots of fresh paint on the detail woodwork. I had read that stars performing at the La Jolla Playhouse used to room here when they were working a show. I could very well see someone renting a room here for a time because of the layout and roominess in this room.
The staff gave us an unexpected upgrade to an ocean view room, and we had a great surprise-- when we pulled back the drapes at the head of the beds we discovered that we had a FULL ocean view from our corner room! Room 320 is set off on it's own, so it was quiet in the hallway.
From our arrival at the door, to check-in and check out, the staff was delightful, kind and polite. We couldn't have asked for more!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the seaside Village of La Jolla, just 15 minutes north of downtown San Diego, the Four Diamond Grande Colonial offers classic European styling in the intimate setting of a boutique hotel. For more than a century, the Grande Colonial has been one of the most esteemed hotels in San Diego. But beyond the turn of the century architecture, our true hallmark is our warm, friendly staff and gracious service. We take pride in preserving the heritage laid down by our founders more than 100 years ago by providing the finest experience in first class accommodations. And just as those founders envisioned in 1913, the Grande Colonial remains today a classic hotel that rivals anything in the West. Commanding views of the California coastline, the Grande Colonial overlooks the shores of the Pacific Ocean and is ideally located just steps away from miles of beautiful beaches renowned to Southern California. Within walking distance are world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment and within a short drive are an abundance of golf, recreation and visitor attractions.The hotel features 93 air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms and suites (some with fully-equipped kitchens and fireplaces). With its ideal location, gracious service and environment of extraordinary comfort, the Grande Colonial hotel provides the ideal destination for travelers to La Jolla. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grande Colonial La Jolla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grande Colonial La Jolla Hotel La Jolla
- Grande Colonial Hotel La Jolla