“Heaven”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have just completed two nights here and they were wonderful as the hotel is top class. The valets are great and deal with any car related queries, the front desk staff are helpful and the restaurant staff all know their job inside out.
We were upgraded to a Colonial suite, which was most comfortable and I couldn't fault the place.
One of the nicest stays I have had and the whole feel of the place is very relaxing. A class act.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear HabLeaf: Well we've been called a lot of things but "heaven" hasn't been one of them. But we graciously accept that adjective to describe our hotel. Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit, especially having traveled all the way from the UK. I'm particularly glad you were able to experience one of our Colonial Suites. That building is the original hotel from back in 1913 before we expanded and opened the remainder of the property in 1928. So you truly had the opportunity to experience the best of our 100+ year history. The next time you venture over the pond to the States, I do hope you'll choose to stay with us again. Thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Loved our stay! Our room was upgraded to a king suite on the top floor and it was not only large, airy and comfortable, but the bed was ultra comfortable. Quiet room. Although the hotel is quite old, it maintains the best of the aging process. It is understated, comfortable and well appointed. I would definitely stay here again. No pomp and circumstance, but, our comfort was always a priority among the staff. The grounds are not quite as lovely as La Valencia, but, we didn't spend time at the pool or walking the grounds - the ocean is simply a block away!!!! No frills and no fancy extra hype...this hotel is one of my favorite spots to just relax!

Room Tip: top floor kind suite with ocean view a must! terrific ocean breeze
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear PamHGolden_Colorado: Thank you very much for the review you posted about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. What you described in terms of our environment and service is exactly what we strive to provide...a warm, gracious and genuinely-friendly attitude. Yes, we are more than 100 years old but we are committed to constantly enhancing our facilities and amenities and keeping them up-to-date, while still preserving our rich heritage. Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in La Jolla at the Grande Colonial in one of there Junior Executive rooms. When I arrived I had to head back out quickly to get to rental car place, so I valet parked right out front. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. While waiting for the bellman I headed up to my room. I was very surprised to find my suite was at the bottom of a small staircase on the third floor. The hallways are very charming, old pictures of the coast and are from long ago. My room was small, but had all the necessary amenities. I was actually very comfortable. My only complaint was there was no view from my small window. I could gaze across the alley at a brick wall. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat. The location is about a block away from the coast. Every morning I was able to walk down and listen to the surf and see the seals and birds frolicking in the water and along the cliffs.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Natasha4822
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Natasha4822 - Thanks for posting comments about your recent visit to La Jolla and the Grande Colonial. We appreciate you choosing us as your destination. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel, our staff and our location. I'm particularly happy to hear that you had a chance to see some of the historic artwork placed up-and-down the room corridors. It's always fun to learn about the rich history of not only our hotel, but the La Jolla community, as well. We look forward to your next stay. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just back for a few days at the Grand Colonial, first time staying there. Absolutely fantastic location, lovely spacious quiet room ( super comfortable beds! ) Very low key but friendly staff. The pool was small but perfect for us and practically empty. The restaurant was very good for both breakfast and dinner. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Haven33 - I am delighted to read your positive comments about your recent (and first) visit to the Grande Colonial. With so many hotels to choose from, we appreciate you giving us a chance. I'm also happy to hear that you had a chance to dine at NINE-TEN. It's a wonderful restaurant and one not to be missed. We look forward to your next visit down from Glendale. Until then -
Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 26 April 2014

This was our 2nd visit to The Grande Colonial La Jolla. Excellent customer service. We booked an ocean view suite. The suites are very large and perfect for families. Great location. We will be back again!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our ocean view suite. It was spacious and perfect for families
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jafaughtenberry

Dear jafaughtenberry -
I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to the Grande Colonial and thank you for taking the time to post comments on TripAdvisor. With our prime location here in the Village of La Jolla, we get many different types of travelers. But we especially appreciate when families visit and have the opportunity to experience all that La Jolla has to offer. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Grande Colonial La Jolla is the grande dame of La Jolla Hotels, sitting on Prospect Street where it has been for more than 100 years, with a view of the beach on one side and the stores on the other. Once you park out front of this beautiful building, the very helpful and good looking valet attendants are eager to help you and usher you to the small front desk-the front desk agents were both very friendly and helpful. The lobby reminds you of grand hotels in the past, with fireplace and traditional decor. The doors lead out to the restaurant where you can get breakfast and steps to the pool. I go into my room, which is big, has a huge closet, workdesk and a big bathroom. The decor is traditional with heavy drapes and lots of pillows, which I love! Thankfully, my room has several windows to the restaurant below, the pool and even a view of the ocean from afar. Even though it is a hundred year old hotel, it has been updated to have airconditioning (though it's nice to just open the windows and let the breeze in), flat screen TV (which you may not need to watch), Keurig coffeemaker (everyone should have one at home), and iron, blowdryer, and robes you can use or purchase. The bathroom also uses the very upscale Gilchrist and Soames toiletries! Now to the drawbacks of staying in a old hotel-the internet was sometimes spotty, there was no counterspace in the bathroom and the water took longer to heat up, no fridge in the room, the need for multiple electric outlets at table level for today's modern devices and the creaking sound of wooden floors when people (or ghosts) walk by. There was no encounter with ghosts but the hotel is rich with stories, and the ambience lends itself to scare children and adults with an overactive imagination.
However, there is no shortage in Old World Charm and fine service by its very courteous staff, possibly the standards wanted by the original owners. On the ground floor is the Nine Ten restaurant which has rave reviews, across the street are La Jolla's stores and shopping, and down the road you can go to the La Jolla cove to watch sea lions bask in the sun. Very centrally located indeed! It is a hotel that is truly rooted in the neighborhood and has so much history and character.
Sure, you may miss your Marriott or Hyatt rewards points by staying in this independent hotel, but if you don't have to stay in the UTC area in the new part of La Jolla, chuck the cookie cutter chain hotels and stay at the Grande Colonial!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RichieSel
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear RichieSel - Wow! You are quite the writer. What a comprehensive review. You covered just about everything. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel during your recent visit. You pointed out a few things that you liked -- our extensive history (yet still modernized), ghost stories and the screenless windows. Aside from the haunted happenings that some experience, we hear many great comments about our rich history and historic charm and those windows that open to allow in the fresh ocean breezes. Both are things that you can't experience in one of the more "cookie cutter" hotels in the area. Since you are just up the street in Los Angeles, we hope you will be back soon and often. Meanwhile, thank you again for providing such a nice review. We do appreciate that. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We want to thank your staff for such a wonderful stay. We really enjoyed every minute at your hotel. From the minute we pulled up to the last second that we left it was welcoming. My husband and I are both in restaurant and hotel management so we always find something to nit pick, BUT I wanted to let you know there was nothing we could say that was bad about our stay.
Your valet men were a pleasure and very hard working. Even during all there hard work they all made time to have conversations with us that made us feel welcomed and like we were friends, which is so nice.
The house keeping always said hello to us and asked us if we needed anything. It is nice to see there are still hotel(s) that do durn down and put a mint on your pillow. The little things that really matter.
The front desk always acknolegded us by name which I find wonderful and amazing that they remember everyone. Always very accommodating.
Unfortunately we did not eat at the restaurant, but did hear wonderful things about it.
The pool was spotless and the water was so refreshing with the lemon slices. Again the little things, so nice!
I wanted to make sure I thanked the people who set up the crib and brought up the mini fridge and microwave. Most hotels do not offer this extra service, we really appriciate all of that. Our little one slept great!

For people staying: It is a great location, in the middle of everything and you can walk to the beach, shops and restaurants. I would reccomend this hotel to everyone. We had a lovely time, thanks so the staff, the beautiful hotel and of course it's San Diego/La Jolla!

Room Tip: Call they will make sure you get exactly what you need. But online is easy too.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Slittle52012 – Needless to say, I was very happy to read your review about your recent visit to our hotel. Not only because you and your wife work in the hospitality industry and certainly recognize good (and poor) service when you see it. But, most importantly, because our staff did exactly what we instill in them each and every day: provide the warmest, most gracious and genuinely friendly service of any hotel in our region. Many hotels have a prime location. Or first-class facilities and amenities. But the ones that truly stand out are those that provide a level of customer service that makes guests feel welcome and help to create memories that last a lifetime. We take great pride in this and I’m delighted to hear that it came through during your stay. Hope to see you back from New York soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager