“Great experience”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Iowa
“Great experience”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My daughter and I recently stayed at The Grande Colonial. Our room was lovely. We had both a garden/pool view and a wonderful view of the ocean. We had a large comfortable chair in our room next to the windows. Every morning I would sit in that chair with the windows open, reading and listening to the ocean. Those mornings were the most relaxed I have been in many years. I truly appreciated the tranquility. Housekeeping was very thorough and helpful. My daughter lost her glasses while we were there and they pulled out the mattress to find them for her.

Kelly at the Front Desk was especially helpful. The valet service was excellent. Matt and Benny were quick, friendly and helpful. The restaurant was wonderful as well. I would highly recommend breakfast. While we were there the seasonal special was Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. They were delightful. I would also recommend the short rib hash for breakfast. I had it twice! It was delicious. Room service was quick and efficient.

The location is good. Short walking distance to beaches,other restaurants, galleries and shops. I-5 is easily accessed. We found The Grande Colonial to be a great "home base" for the many different locations we wanted to visit.

Bottom line. If you are in the area- stay at the The Grande Colonial. It may be a little more than I would like to pay for a hotel but you won't regret it.

Room Tip: We had the Ocean View Junior Suite King. It was lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KMS07
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear KMS07: It sounds as if you and your daughter had a very nice and memorable trip to La Jolla. I thank you for choosing the Grande Colonial as your home base. I appreciate your very comprehensive review covering everything from our helpful staff, efficient housekeeping and delicious food (those lemon ricotta pancakes are one of my favorite dishes). I’m also glad you pointed out the screen less windows that open in each room allowing you to enjoy the fresh ocean breezes. It’s not something you can experience in most hotels. Thanks again and hope to see you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 June 2014

After an arduous work week, our family decided it was time to go on a weekend getaway. This last minute get away and this hotel was a shot in the dark. We hadn't traveled with our 5 month old yet. The Little Hotel by the Sea could not have worked out better . The room included a fridge and stove such (a plus since we weren't sure how we were going to feed the smallest of our family.) The 12 year old was a happy camper to know that boogie boards were available to borrow and the beach was a walk away! Fantastic service, courteous and knowledgeable staff. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Blanca1900: As the father of three (now grown) boys, I remember what it's like to travel with small children -- most times being last minute getaways thrown together in a rush. Happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you and your family for your last minute trip. You couldn't have picked a better room. The suites in our Little Hotel by the Sea wing are ideal for families given they do have full kitchens. And being only a block from the seals at the Children's Pool and the beach, it's the ideal location for the kids! I see you are just "up the street" in Los Angeles. Given your proximity, I hope you'll have the chance to plan more spontaneous trips with the family. What a better place to create traditions than at the Grande Colonial. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
andalasia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

A few things from a yuppie perspective...

1. Location was great -- went to a nearby cooking class, good shopping/restaurants, great beach walks, etc. Hubs loved that Torrey Pines was close.
2. Staff was super friendly/helpful--this was fantastic. I felt like these people were actually nice!
3. Rooms are a bit dated and mine had some allergen that made me sneeze; I took some meds and it wasn't bad but furnishings may need a redux.
4. Bar and drinks are great but food is not. Brunch portions were rather lacking and better brunch is super close by at the Cottage, PrepKitchen, etc. Wish we hadn't gotten lazy that last day!
5. The common spaces are small, especially the pool. Both days we had to wait for some spots to open by the pool (there's only around 15 chairs). And the smallish terrace had a private party on it Sunday morning, meaning we couldn't hang there. For a hotel with common areas that small, they probably shouldn't be booking the common spaces for private parties.

Would definitely come back though! And perhaps the lack of pool space meant fewer kids and that's always a plus!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Joanna G
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear jj427: Let me start by saying thanks so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is only through the comments we receive from our guests that we can continue to improve our services and amenities. I am happy to hear how delightful our staff was during your stay. We take great pride in providing warm, gracious and genuinely friendly service and I'm happy that came through during your stay. I'm sorry to read your comments about our Sunday Brunch. I will certainly review the menu with our chef and see if we can't add a little more variety to it. Unfortunately, in regard to the size of our pool, there isn't much we can do about that. Being a historic property (101 years old), larger resort-size pools just weren’t in fashion back then and space for added recreation just doesn't exist. But I thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you back soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last week 5/7/14 and it was just wonderful. The staff was so lovely and helpful. The concierge recommend a little Italian restaurant up the street (La Taverna) and took us over on the hotels golf cart- we walked back because it was such a nice night and so close. This hotel is in the perfect location. You can walk to everything (we came to see the seals). Thank you so much for such a fun wonderful stay:) xo

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PollyMc3
Dear PollyMc3 - I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your recent visit, particularly since you traveled across country for a vacation. Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm glad you had a chance to dine in the Village and take advantage of our transportation offer. Although you can indeed walk everywhere in the Village, some like to ride without bell/valet staff and learn a little more about the local sights. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Best regards, Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the Grande Colonial in August 2013 with our two teenagers, ages 15 and 17. The property is beautifully decorated, with quite an interesting history behind it. The front desk and valet staff are incredible. Any need is taken care of immediately, with a smile. The hotel does not have "on property" parking, but there was a link on Trip Advisor that we used to waive the $25/night parking fee (the hotel contracts with a nearby office building for use of their garage). Getting our car in and out was a breeze - tipping highly recommended. When I accidentally left my cell phone in the car one evening, they were more than happy to go look for it for me. Our trip was a last minute idea, and as such, there were August "back to school" specials. Made the cost quite attractive.

The hotel is a short block to the water, where you can swim, watch sea lions, and just people watch. If you are going to one of the beaches down the coast, you can check out beach towels and umbrellas from the front desk. We spent one day at Del Mar beach, and it was wonderful. Arranged for our teenagers to take a one-hour surfing lesson from the same place that we rented wet suits for them. As we are from Houston, they nearly froze without the wetsuits -- well worth the few dollars for the daily rental from a vendor on the beach.

My husband and I dined at the NineTen restaurant for our anniversary (the kids were on their own…) and the food was wonderful. A little noisy, but didn't take away from the experience. There are numerous great places to each for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner within walking distance.

The beds were very comfortable, with extra pillows available. As the property was constructed some time ago, the bathrooms are spacious, and there were 2 closets in our room. Each room is likely to be slightly different, as the hotel was constructed during three separate time frames.

Great, relaxing experience. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Our room faced the water, which was great for sunsets.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Kathleen - as they say, better late than never. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Grande Colonial last summer. You chose a wonderful time to visit us, as 2013 was our Centennial year celebration so we had a lot of great things to promote our history going on. You also picked the perfect time to visit when many are already back in school. So while the weather is still picture perfect, the beaches are much less crowded. Thank you for pointing out our valet staff and our "free parking promotion". That offer is still available to those finding us right here on Trip Advisor. And, lastly, I'm glad you had a chance to experience NINE-TEN. Thank you for choosing to celebrate such a special occasion as your anniversary with us! We hope you will have the chance to come back and visit again soon. Best regards, Terrence Underwood
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed mid week at La Grande's "little hotel by the sea".
I was blown away by how great the staff, room, and service was. Room service was fast and friendly. Pool was great. And room had the most amazing view. The room was super clean with all of the amenities I could ask for.
Bonus: complimentary snacks and drinks; you can't go wrong here.

Can't wait to return.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Erik M
Dear Erik - Thanks for your enthusiastic review of the Grande Colonial. So glad to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel, the service and the extra amenities. Those guests who stay in one of our suites in the adjacent Little Hotel by the Sea or Garden Terrace wings enjoy a few added benefits to include the complimentary refreshments. Glad you enjoyed them too! Come back and see us soon. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Larne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have just completed two nights here and they were wonderful as the hotel is top class. The valets are great and deal with any car related queries, the front desk staff are helpful and the restaurant staff all know their job inside out.
We were upgraded to a Colonial suite, which was most comfortable and I couldn't fault the place.
One of the nicest stays I have had and the whole feel of the place is very relaxing. A class act.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear HabLeaf: Well we've been called a lot of things but "heaven" hasn't been one of them. But we graciously accept that adjective to describe our hotel. Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit, especially having traveled all the way from the UK. I'm particularly glad you were able to experience one of our Colonial Suites. That building is the original hotel from back in 1913 before we expanded and opened the remainder of the property in 1928. So you truly had the opportunity to experience the best of our 100+ year history. The next time you venture over the pond to the States, I do hope you'll choose to stay with us again. Thank you again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,967 reviews
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#8 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Grande Colonial La Jolla? Share your experiences!