Grande Colonial La Jolla
US$224
  • Breakfast included
Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$311
US$198
  • Pool
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$264
US$226
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$237
US$231
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
US$389
La Jolla Shores Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$243
Hotels.com
US$260
US$143
  • Breakfast included
La Valencia Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$314
  • Pool
La Jolla Beach Travelodge(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$140
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$187
1,926 results
All reviewsvillage viewhistoric hoteljunior suitewalk in closetthe main hotelperfect locationpartial ocean viewchildren's poolvalet parkingstreet noiseprospect streetshops and restaurantswonderful hotelvalet serviceturn down servicebed was very comfortablesan diego
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is in general a great place to stay. It's located near everything. The rooms are nice. Beds are comfy. Bathroom is a little small, outdated.

The pool is not so interesting, but functional and not cold.

Staff seem friendly.

No minibar.

Free bottled water and wifi.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear HappyBobbi - I appreciate you taking the time to post feedback about your recent visit. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our location. We are indeed just steps from all that the Village of La Jolla has to offer. Not to mention the miles of beaches. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again from Chapel Hill. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I recently stayed here two nights with a family of 4. We arrived at about 2:30 and was greeted by a friendly valet. We unloaded the luggage and I went to the front desk and was told our room was not ready and that they are not guaranteed until 4:00. Not a problem. A bellhop/valet took our luggage and we went out shopping for a bit. We returned at 3:45 and I checked to see if the room was ready and they said not yet - again - not a problem - it was before 4:00 but I just thought I would check. At about 4:05, I went over to the front desk again and was told the room was still not ready - not a problem - things happen. Then I asked how long they thought it would be - the response - we don't know. Problem. If you don't have a room available at check-in time AND don't have an idea of when one will be available, then that is a problem for a guest. After asking a few questions - such as - do you think it would be done in 10 - 15 minutes, and getting a shoulder shrug and genuine uncertainness, I indicated that if it was not ready in 15, we would find another hotel. If there was a predicament with room availability, I just needed to know so I had the opportunity to secure a room elsewhere. They looked a bit shocked at me saying that. About 5 minutes later, a member of the staff came out and said they had another room ready - an upgraded ocean view room (we had booked a village view). While it was not my intent to try to benefit from the error - as things do happen, I am glad they came into the lobby to find me when they did as I had located another hotel in the area with availability and was about ready to leave. Seems to me that once check-in time came and you had a room available at the same or higher level than what was reserved, you would be automatically placed in that room instead of being forced to wait.
I had a bit of bad taste in my mouth from the check-in experience. I felt a bit like I was a nuisance to them, but from that point forward things were great. The valets and desk staff were always friendly and greeted us when we came and went. The grounds were very clean. The room showed some signs of wear, but was clean, comfortable, and in functioning order. The room they ended up putting us in had an adjoining room door to the next room over. Though unfortunate circumstances, the people next to us turned the TV on at 11:00 each night and let it run all night. It was loud enough to wake 3 of 4 of us the first night at 3:00 in the morning so I had to adjust the fan to be on the following night to drown out some of the noise. It still woke me the next night - the TV's are mounted on the walls, and with the adjoining room door door right next to the bed, the sound traveled into our room. Understanding this was not the hotel's fault, I did not complain, but I would ensure that I was not placed into an adjoining room next time. Our neighbors were foreign and perhaps they had not adjusted to the time change or just needed the noise to sleep - it was unfortunate for us but I did not want to go back down and ask to change rooms knowing the front desk had "placement" issues, for lack of a better term. They had tried to be kind and give us the room upgrade, it just unfortunately had a bad component to it.
We did not get to dine at the on-site restaurant, but had some sodas and they staff was friendly. All-in-all, I'd stay here again in hopes check-in would be smoother and definitely a room with no adjoining suite.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jason G
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Jason - Let me first thank you for the very comprehensive review you posted about your recent stay with us. It is only through this type of feedback that we can continue to improve our service delivery. I do apologize for the problems you experienced, starting with our check in process. Your room should have been ready at our 4:00 p.m. check in time and, when it was not, we should have accommodated you better. While I'm happy that you were upgraded to a room that was available, I am sorry that you had to go through that waiting period and uncertainty in the first place. I also apologize about the noise you experienced in the adjacent room. Despite all of this, I am happy that you are willing to give us another try when you come back to La Jolla. When that time comes, please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure your experience runs much better. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I travel to LJ 4-5 times per year and I always stay at the the Grande Colonial. It's a very charming and old fashioned hotel, but this is not to mean that it is in any way uncomfortable or lacking in amenities. It is charming in the best sense of the word. Warmth, not sterility as many hotels are.

The staff is great, everyone is very helpful and friendly in the best way. The pool is great and the restaurant is world class. Why stay anywhere else? It's like going home.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jack G

Dear Jack: What more can I say than "thank you"?! On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for all the great comments. I really appreciate your appreciation for our historic charm. We're certainly not the cookie-cutter-type hotel. Every room is a little different than the next but each has its own unique appeal. I also appreciate your comments about our staff. We take great pride in providing service that is warm, gracious and genuinely friendly. I’m glad to hear that came through during your visit. Hope to see you back. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights visiting family, and it was the perfect place to stay in LaJolla. We loved the charm of an "older" hotel, the huge windows in the room that stayed open the entire time, the very comfortable bed, lots of little "extras," like free internet, free bottled water, an exceptionally friendly staff (especially the valet staff!). I gave the cleanliness 4 stars only because we had to wait until almost 5:00 pm one day to get our room cleaned. But, in their defense, I know they would have cleaned earlier had I requested it.

We only had dessert at the restaurant (outstanding!), but heard from locals that it has a reputation for excellent food. Sorry we missed that, but will definitely eat there next time we are in town.
Awesome hotel!

Room Tip: Although we did not get one, ask for a corner room with windows on 2 sides!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kmr60
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear kmr60 - Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear how much you enjoyed our accommodations, complimentary amenities and, most importantly, the level of service. I'll be sure to share your comments with our valet staff. We truly have some of the best in the business. I'm sorry about to hear that your room was not serviced earlier. That should not have been the case and we will do better the next time. We look forward to that and hope it's sooner than later. Thanks again. Terrence Underwood, General Manager

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Everything about this historic hotel is Grande. The location can't be beat. The views from the ocean view room is spectacular. We loved the feel of the hotel and how it is full of charm. The rooms are absolutely huge and maintained beautifully. We could see the childrens pool of seals right from our room. There are restaurants and shopping right from the front door. We walked all over La Jolla. The service is excellent and the valet men were so helpful and made us feel very welcome. They had excellent ideas and choices in food. The entire experience was first rate. Well worth the money to enjoy the location and facilities.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vpb316
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear vpb316: I couldn't be happier to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to La Jolla and your stay at the Grande Colonial...particularly your experiences with our staff. I'm a little biased but we have some of the finest people working for us, starting at the front door. I'm so glad to hear that our commitment to providing first-class service came through during your stay. I hope to see you back from Florida soon. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. Sincerely, Terrence Underwood, General Manager